Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zamfield View Post
    So, I ordered the tire from Discounttiredirect.com and I just received a call from them...

The person on the phone tells me he can't sell me the tire as Can Am have told them specifically NOT to sell the tire as they believe it's not strong enough on the walls when taking corners!!

Anyone else heard of this?

I've read lots of posts where members are considering this tire and haven't heard anything about the walls of this tire not being up to scratch for the Spyder!

Apparently Can Am have told Discounttiredirect.com that the only tire that will work on the Spyder is the one they sell on their website and if they sell the tire, they'll be liable.

B.S??
    That is a crock. Liability ends after the sale. I could be buying a tire as a swing in my front yard...now they won't sell it because I might put it on a Spyder???
    Next time...don't mention that you're putting it on a Spyder . That's a sure-fire way to be sent packing. If asked, you are mounting it on your '92 Toyota MR2.

BTW...I'm on my 2nd Kumho Ecsta AST and have had no problems whatsoever. In fact, i'd recommend it to others.

Registered Users
    Tri Cities of Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville
    Spyder Garage

Angry UhOh!

Just got this in email Any suggestions?

Thank you for choosing Discount Tire Direct for your tire needs.

Unfortunately, we had a problem finalizing your order and need to speak with you at your earliest convenience.

· The quickest and most efficient way to contact us is by calling us directly at: 1.888.796.1686

We strive to be the best and to provide you with a delightful customer experience. We greatly appreciate your understanding in this matter and look forward to hearing from you. The quickest and most efficient way to contact us is by phone, as email responses will delay a resolution.

Once we speak with you and complete your order, we will immediately ship your product(s) and provide an electronically generated UPS Tracking Number that indicates your order has been shipped. .

Thank you once again for choosing Discount Tire Direct.

Spyder Garage

Default tires

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    brp can't stop a tire company from selling tires regardless. They can suggest, recommend but thats it. If any of us put non recommended tires on and have a problem we will be the only ones responsible.
    I agree. Tires aren't a covered warranty item due to "normal wear and tear" so why would BRP care? Oh wait! The easiest alternative option would be to "just put on Can-Am tires". So they may be slightly biased (ya think?) I have had a Kumho tire on my back tire for 8000 miles and no issues and if I do, I am financially responsible, not Can-Am. Also the Kumho tire is 4 ply, the Can-Am tire is 3 ply. I purchased from DiscountTireDirect.com ($81 vs Can-Am $139) and had it shipped (free) to my Spyder dealer for install. Funny, the parts person there didn't want me to put the tire on (again I didn't purchase it FROM THEM) but the Service guys said they do it all the time with no problems.

This issue is inspired by companies that don't want Kumho stealing their tire business, particularly BRP. I will say that I got 20k out of my BRPOEM tire and will be comparing the life of my Kumho to that, but I can't see how 4 ply will be worse than 3-ply.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by adlereins View Post
    Just got this in email Any suggestions?

Thank you for choosing Discount Tire Direct for your tire needs.

Unfortunately, we had a problem finalizing your order and need to speak with you at your earliest convenience.

· The quickest and most efficient way to contact us is by calling us directly at: 1.888.796.1686

We strive to be the best and to provide you with a delightful customer experience. We greatly appreciate your understanding in this matter and look forward to hearing from you. The quickest and most efficient way to contact us is by phone, as email responses will delay a resolution.

Once we speak with you and complete your order, we will immediately ship your product(s) and provide an electronically generated UPS Tracking Number that indicates your order has been shipped. .

Thank you once again for choosing Discount Tire Direct.
    It is a 15" tire and all gen 2 Camaro Z28s and firebirds ran them.

1981 Coupe
    P205 75/14 QJZ N/C blackwall radial
    P205 75/14 QJY 47.00 WS radial
    P205 75/14 QKL 60.00 RWL radial
    Z28
    P225 70/15 QGR N/C 7JJ RWL - req Z28
    Abbreviations:
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

It's starting to look like buying 1 tire at a time triggers red flags.

Maybe a small group buy where someone buys 4 tires at a time for their TACOMA and start divvying it up with other members.
    But than again....Discount Tire and others are probably reading this thread already.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't give them any ideas!

Just tell them that you had a front tire take a hit from some debris on the road, so you only need one...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

How about for a spare tire does every one have 2 tires in there trunk

Spyder Garage

Default ordered and received

I ordered the Kumho from Discount Tire (local) via phone on the 12th of this month. Hubby picked it up today. So that said..obviously they are not out of stock. Now I did not tell them it was for a Spyder, I did give them a bogus vehicle and said it was going to be a spare. We did try to order one from Dicount Tire Direct and received a phone call saying the tire was on 90 day backorder.

2016 F3T SE Pearl White
    Purple powder coated wheels
    Performance sway bar
    LED headlights and fog lights
    Short Reach handlebars
    2010 RT A/C SE traded in

Spyder Garage

I have a Fauklen (?) tire 5kmiles no Problem BRP can't tell me what to put on LI'LL RED!!
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red

Spyder Garage

I ordered a Michelin from Amazon, no hassle, no questions, I should be here early next week. Sorry Discount you lost a customer.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am sure BRP has a love/hate relationship with this board. they might get some tire business back if they: 1. made the tires better so they lasted longer. 2. Reduced the markup to be more cost effective to us. 3. Replaced the bad batch of tires under warranty with no questions asked. Probably not gonna happen. I am happen with the Michelin Hydroedge. It is a little taller and it did change CG a little, but I actually found a softer rear shock setting makes for better cornering than the Kendra.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like hooey! I bought the kumho ecsta ast just before Sturgis from Discount Tire. Told them what it was for too.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CG

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I am sure BRP has a love/hate relationship with this board. they might get some tire business back if they: 1. made the tires better so they lasted longer. 2. Reduced the markup to be more cost effective to us. 3. Replaced the bad batch of tires under warranty with no questions asked. Probably not gonna happen. I am happen with the Michelin Hydroedge. It is a little taller and it did change CG a little, but I actually found a softer rear shock setting makes for better cornering than the Kendra.
    ......You say it changed the center of gravity of your Spyder ?????......About how much do you think .0005 %,......I don't think it will make any difference......Someone else on this forum just reported He put Elka shocks on His Spyder and it Raised it " 3 " inches ......Now that's going to really change the C G ......Mikeguyver

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......You say it changed the center of gravity of your Spyder ?????......About how much do you think .0005 %,......I don't think it will make any difference......Someone else on this forum just reported He put Elka shocks on His Spyder and it Raised it " 3 " inches ......Now that's going to really change the C G ......Mikeguyver
    My wife and my combined weight is around 500 total lbs. And, yeah an inch in height did change the CG. You may think what you want. I did respect you. Not so much now. What a bum you have turned out to be. I am a Christian and I don't lie, bud.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    Sounds like hooey! I bought the kumho ecsta ast just before Sturgis from Discount Tire. Told them what it was for too.
    A lot can happen, in a Month and a Half...

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK you guys want to know the reason companies don't want you to use non approved tires... liability. Does anyone remember in the mid 90's ford explorer/firestone tires & the law suit that entailed. Because some people were incapable of checking their tire pressure & disregard the speed limit they crashed, flipped their vehicle & died. Because of that ford/firestone buried their name for many years, paid out 10's of millions & TPMS tire sensors came about, (which i would like to see on our bikes, we all know how hard it is to check the air on our rear tires).
    When a vehicle is designed both auto & tire manufacturer have a pow wow to decide on speed rating, load index & sizing. They spend a lot of time & money on making these decisions.
    On a 2 wheel bike the sidewall edge tread matters because of the lean of the bike, with ours we don't lean so we don't necessarily need that.
    When you change the height of your tire your rolling circumference changes & if run by computer the whole dynamics of handling & braking will also change. Now for cars you should not mix a/s & summer tires on a vehicle because of over/under steer, (i personally feel this is even more important on a bike).
    As to why dtd may not want to sell the tire for a what i know is my insurance company won't allow me to do at my place, they look at every liability issue possible. They checked out my website & told me they will cancel me out if i do stretched tires(when you have an excessively wide rim & a narrow tire) which is very common for kids & vw/audi's.
    My whole point in this post is LIABILITY!! No matter how stupid you are they will lose & have to pay and for those of you that think you will sign a waiver on it I have read in tire review magazine several times that piece of paper will be worthless as a defense. Until our courts change & people can no longer sue for a paper cut companies will have to stay overcautious on everything.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    I just got mine last week from Discount Tire and told them what I was putting it on and the guy just smiled and
    said that's what he thought I was going to do!
    No problems at all.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN;875630My whole point in this post is LIABILITY!! No matter how stupid you are they will lose & have to pay and for those of you that think you will sign a waiver on it I have read in tire review magazine several times that piece of paper will be worthless as a defense. Until our courts change & people can no longer sue for a paper cut companies will have to stay overcautious on everything.[/QUOTE]

Strangely enough;

Didn't Shakespeare say that we should kill all of the Lawyers??

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-qu...ll-all-lawyers

Maybe somebody should sue him for saying that!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-18-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REALLY ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    My wife and my combined weight is around 500 total lbs. And, yeah an inch in height did change the CG. You may think what you want. I did respect you. Not so much now. What a bum you have turned out to be. I am a Christian and I don't lie, bud.
    ....Mr. Humphreys, because I am not a " BUM " I will take the time to help you understand a few things about measurements ........But first let me say that my figure # .0005 % was just an EXAGGERATION and you have my apology for that.........However I think you were rude to say I was/am a BUM and lets leave RELIGION elsewhere OK.........I happen to have BOTH tires in question in my garage a Hydro edge 215 /60-15 & a 225 /50 -15...........I measured them side by side and you are correct the difference is approx. 1 in.........But when you mount them and put them on the Spyder it will only change the height by 1/2 in because only 1/2 inch is below the axel,,,the other 1/2 inch is ABOVE the axel and this has nothing to do with elevating the Spyder.................Plus this will only RAISE the rear of the Spyder , not the front .......To get an accurate change in the CENTER OF GRAVITY ........do this ---take two car jackstands and place them 5 1/2 ft apart ( this is the wheelbase of the Spyder + - )......now take a something 6 ft long that won't bend like angle-iron......place it on the jack stands......measure in the middle down to the ground ........now place something 1/2 thick on one of the jack stands under the angle-iron .....and measure again in the same spot ......this will give you a number that more closely reflects the CHANGE IN THE C.G. ,........How much do you think this change is going to be ??????..........I'll tell you ....It's now 1/4 inch .....Do you really think 1/4 inch change in the C.G. is going to affect the handling of your Spyder ? ? ?........................and as far as the weight thing goes at 500 lbs I think this has exceeded the what BRP recommends for the Spyder but that's for you to decide ...........................Even at that weight the springs either OEM, or ELKA , or FOX etc. are ( to best of my knowledge ) PROGRESSIVE RATE springs ......meaning they get STIFFER the more you compress them ...........So even at 500 lbs the height change in your Spyder is not as much as you might think............Your welcome .......Mikeguyver
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-18-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Mr. Humphreys, because I am not a " BUM " I will take the time to help you understand a few things about measurements ........But first let me say that my figure # .0005 % was just an EXAGGERATION and you have my apology for that.........However I think you were rude to say I was/am a BUM and lets leave RELIGION elsewhere OK.........I happen to have BOTH tires in question in my garage a Hydro edge 215 /60-15 & a 225 /50 -15...........I measured them side by side and you are correct the difference is approx. 1 in.........But when you mount them and put them on the Spyder it will only change the height by 1/2 in because only 1/2 inch is below the axel,,,the other 1/2 inch is ABOVE the axel and this has nothing to do with elevating the Spyder.................Plus this will only RAISE the rear of the Spyder , not the front .......To get an accurate change in the CENTER OF GRAVITY ........do this ---take two car jackstands and place them 5 1/2 ft apart ( this is the wheelbase of the Spyder + - )......now take a something 6 ft long that won't bend like angle-iron......place it on the jack stands......measure in the middle down to the ground ........now place something 1/2 thick on one of the jack stands under the angle-iron .....and measure again in the same spot ......this will give you a number that more closely reflects the CHANGE IN THE C.G. ,........How much do you think this change is going to be ??????..........I'll tell you ....It's now 1/4 inch .....Do you really think 1/4 inch change in the C.G. is going to affect the handling of your Spyder ? ? ?........................and as far as the weight thing goes at 500 lbs I think this has exceeded the what BRP recommends for the Spyder but that's for you to decide ...........................Even at that weight the springs either OEM, or ELKA , or FOX etc. are ( to best of my knowledge ) PROGRESSIVE RATE springs ......meaning they get STIFFER the more you compress them ...........So even at 500 lbs the height change in your Spyder is not as much as you might think............Your welcome .......Mikeguyver
    Nicely reasoned and worded response. Thanks for the level head.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

People call Netzley tire. He is a board sponsor. I'm getting my Tire mounted tomorrow or Saturday. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Nicely reasoned and worded response. Thanks for the level head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    People call Netzley tire. He is a board sponsor. I'm getting my Tire mounted tomorrow or Saturday. Tom

Tom, If it's tomorrow; stop up after you've got it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Tom, If it's tomorrow; stop up after you've got it!
    Will do Bob. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Strangely enough;

Didn't Shakespeare say that we should kill all of the Lawyers??

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-qu...ll-all-lawyers

Maybe somebody should sue him for saying that!
    bob i am the one who has always said kill all the lawyers, it should lower all forms of insurance & if it doesn't you lose nothing.
    P.S. treat politicians the same, they seem to be like a hydra.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would hate of rhtis to become a thread that is bashing our legal system...
    That would be no better than us picking on Harley riders...

...or folks who don't wear helmets...
    ...or folks that DO wear helmets...
    or anybody who uses a different brand of oil...
    ....or...