Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if its because they can't get them?
    Perhaps disc. tire is just using what they've told me as an excuse, rather than admitting the stock problem.
    Although, one wonders why there isn't a disclaimer on the site... after all, the rep told me he's had to tell loads of customers the same thing!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    When Discount didn't have the Kumho to replace my Hydroedge, I opted for the Michelin size they keep in stock supposedly at all their stores as it's a common size. i opted for the road hazard lifetime balancing cert, in hopes if it ever fails maybe they'll warranty it but they couldn't balance it on their machine, so they knocked off $ 8 or 10. Hydroedge I got from Costco had over 20k on it, and it wasn't bald yet, but i really want good traction so i replaced it. Curious if it ever does get damaged if discount will cover it? Always had pretty good luck with their certs on tires from them, lets hope i don't wind up needing it, but with a 90k lifetime out of it, should get another 5 years out of it.
    I put a Hydroedge on my RT and have 5k very good miles on it. When yours started wearing out did you have any hydroplaning problems?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hilarious!
    The Can Am site lists the tire as a 14" and as "Limited Availability!!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    brp can't stop a tire company from selling tires regardless. They can suggest, recommend but thats it. If any of us put non recommended tires on and have a problem we will be the only ones responsible. But we are hearing this more and more. Vee Rubber (Arachnid) is making a spyder tire but have not heard much for some time now. I don't use car tires but do wish they would come up with some others that meet the specs for brp...
    A contract can!
    3:16

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just ordered another for my (ahhuummm) 2008 Chevy Cobolt!

All of a sudden I'm hearing that Jeopardy music in my head?!!

Spyder Garage

I also received a call yesterday from Discount tire saying they can't sell the tire for a Spyder and they are out of stock. I have about 6500 miles on my rear tire and need another one. I'm now considering the Arachnid or Michelin.
    Last edited by YIRYDE; 09-17-2014 at 06:41 AM.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Only place I found them that says in stock almost all others are "out of stock".

http://www.readywheels.com/kumho-ecs...ason-rims.html
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    I also received a call yesterday from Discount tire saying they can't sell the tire for a Spyder and they are out of stock. I have about 6500 miles on my rear tire and need another one. Some I'm now considering the Arachnid or Michelin.
    I have a new Arachnid, with the proper load rating for the RT, waiting to be installed. Unfortunately I had just replaced the first Arachnid with a Kumho when they sent me the new one. I am going to try getting it installed before I head out on my next big trip and I will let you all know how it works out. I had no issues with the original Arachnid, no slipping, it was interesting that it wore on the outside edges unlike the Kenda which tends to wear out in the center.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I have a new Arachnid, with the proper load rating for the RT, waiting to be installed. Unfortunately I had just replaced the first Arachnid with a Kumho when they sent me the new one. I am going to try getting it installed before I head out on my next big trip and I will let you all know how it works out. I had no issues with the original Arachnid, no slipping, it was interesting that it wore on the outside edges unlike the Kenda which tends to wear out in the center.
    Where did you get the Arachnid from? Price?

Spyder Garage

I have run two KUmhos over 60000 miles between them and no problems .. Love them.... Apparently I bought my last one before all this B S started because they just shipped me mine with no questions asked
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO'S

.......I received two Kumho's 2 weeks ago from Discount tires direct......annnnnnnnd they wanted to know what veh. it was going on......soooooooooooo I naturally said my 2003 Toyt Tacoma ..........sooooooooooooo they said make sure the tires are on THE SAME AXEL ... ......Then I saw the post about the Hydroedge on Amazon for $ 85 delivered...soooooooooooo I bought that one also .....Nobody asked me anything .......Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww........I have 3 rear tires and one RT ......Whatever am I going to do.................The Michelin will probably last 40,000 miles or so............Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Default Roll Off

Ask the rep what the roll off on the tread is. Then find out what the roll off on the Spyder is. I did that on my Goldwing rear tire. 22degree roll off on the tread to sidewall. 18 degree lean angle until scrapin' the engine guard. You would crash before rubbing the sidewalls on the asphalt. I worked for Goodyear building tires for 28 and 1/2 years. This does not sound right to me!
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5
    NBV-Pegs
    BajaRon Anti-Sway bars w/ links
    Tricled 3/4 Break Running Lights
    Tricled Mirror turn signals
    J&M rear speaker install

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Only place I found them that says in stock almost all others are "out of stock".

http://www.readywheels.com/kumho-ecs...ason-rims.html

+ $30 for shipping

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon has raised their price to $130. Ouch!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon has raised their price to $130. Ouch!
    ....Doc, I don't think that's how it works on Amazon..........Amazon sends you to a bunch of sellers who have various prices for the same product. When I bought My Hydroedge ($85), it was also for sale for $ 130 from some different sellers. The people who had it for $ 85 have sold all their STOCK out apparantly..........This is a dis-continued tire .....................Mikeguyver
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-17-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtdoragary View Post
    A contract can!
    What kind of contract?
    First; what contract would possibly exist betweem BRP, and Discount Tire, that would not allow them to sell a Kumho tire... so that BRP can sell a Kenda??
    That just makes no sense at all...

Now; if NHTSA stepped in; saying that you can't sell an automotive tire to a person who's going to put it on a motorcycle... I'd almost beleive that!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

porsche has this warning in reference to choosing tires for their cars:
    Inflations vary according to load. Always refer to vehicle placard and owner's manual. WARNING: Only tires of identical type, make, speed index and specification code (N0, N1, N2...) can be used on the same vehicle.

perhaps can am feels this way too. yes we have put non porsche tires on but they have to meet specs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP can't tell Discount Tire what to sell unless they own Discount Tire. Even if they own Kumho, they can't tell Discount Tire who to sell it to, but they could stop providing Kumho to Discount Tire. Any other action would be restraint of trade.

A Spyder-owner at 'Quest (it's his story, so I won't say who it is) told me his dealer told him if he puts anything buy OEM tires on, he'll void the warranty!! I told him he should find a new dealer.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE...

Just re-ordered the tire and said it was for an 08 Cobalt!

... And received this email. I think they're trying to put people off as they can't get them.
    Told me they're on back order for 90 days, could be longer.
    Well, as I don't need it right now, told them to leave the order in place and I'll wait... He seemed a little surprised!

"Andy,
    Ref Order #:811****

Thank you for choosing Discount Tire Direct for your tire needs.

Unfortunately, we had a problem finalizing your order and need to speak with you at your earliest convenience.

· The quickest and most efficient way to contact us is by calling us directly at: 1.888.796.1686"

Spyder Garage

It sounds to me like Discount Tire either just lost a lawsuit or looks like they are about to lose one. One big thing about tires, how are you going use them. If you drive your corvette at less then 35 MPH, 1500 miles ayear and never in the rain, almost any tire will do. If you are going to drive the Autobanh, you better have great tires. ( I was over there and almost unlimited speed. Hear it is different now)In fact the German government seized all the Corvettes and required new/better tires before they could sell them in Germany. then the big Ford/Goodyear ( I think Goodyear) tire mess. Who was at fault for all the Explorer roll overs.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Newest Tire Dealer

I say start a new tire dealership. Spyderlovers Tire has a cool ring to it. We buy a couple dozen Khumos nd Michelins in the appropriate sizes and make then available here for the cost of shipping and handling. No more hastles. Who's volunteering?
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BaldEagle View Post
    I say start a new tire dealership. Spyderlovers Tire has a cool ring to it. We buy a couple dozen Khumos nd Michelins in the appropriate sizes and make then available here for the cost of shipping and handling. No more hastles. Who's volunteering?

Have you called SpyderPops or Pitbull?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You can get the Arachnid tire (Vee Rubber) from a certain "comfortable" vendor but they're no longer site supporters... around $131 plus shipping.
    Not that bad for a motorcycle tire, but after seeing the $81 price point, that's what we are chasing!

Registered Users
    Tri Cities of Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville
    Spyder Garage

Wink $81 + free shipping!!

Just ordered one from discount tire here in SoCal for my "Toyota Tacoma" (Thanks Mikeguyver!) Paid with paypal and now we shall see if'n I actually get it.

"Thanks for choosing Discount Tire Direct!

We bet you are thinking "Oh, goody, another email to add to the pile."

Well, you're right. It's another email, but it's chocked full of amazing and wonderful information about your order. It's already long enough, so we'll just get right to the point.

Your final invoice and tracking info will be emailed to you once everything is ready to go.

If you need us, give us a call at 1-800-589-6789.

Web Order Number: xxxxxxx (Not for Use with Rebates)
    Order Date: 09/17/2014
    Order Total: $81.00

Product Information:

1 Kumho Ecsta AST
    225 /50 R15 91H SL BSW "
    Last edited by adlereins; 09-17-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You love them on your Tacoma!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black