Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have 60K+ miles on Kumho Esta tires..... Not a single issue and I ryde my Spyder like I'm being chased.....
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    How many mile till it got slippery?
    It was slippery from day one... On wet roads it is greasy under too much power taking off. After about 5k miles she started hydroplaning very easily. I got 11k miles out of my Kuhmo - But I'm pretty hard on tires.

In contrast, I think the Kenda is better in standing water at higher mileage than the Kuhmo and stickier on wet roads overall.

That said, the Toyo Proxes 4 is the best tire I've run hands down but it is also discontinued... So I have three spares in the shed. The Toyo is hard to break loose dry, and I found on wet roads it is hard to break loose from a start on wet roads... You have to really wind her up. The best thing about the Toyo is in standing water it never came unglued on me and that was in a serious storm chasing Dan Egan(FireFly) at about 60+ MPH.

I would avoid the Kuhmo, and the Kenda like the plague. The Michelin Hydro edge has gotten rave reviews here for it's longevity and rain performance. There are still some Proxes 4's out there on ebay but you'll pay a premium for them.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    People call Netzley tire. He is a board sponsor. I'm getting my Tire mounted tomorrow or Saturday. Tom
    Ron is great !
    He is a good guy with great service.
    While you are there, I recommend you get the laser alignment, unless you have one already.
    The laser alignment will go a long way to increase tire wear.
    Unfortunately, he can't service the whole country.

Did I mention that Ron is good ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zamfield View Post
    So, I ordered the tire from Discounttiredirect.com and I just received a call from them...

The person on the phone tells me he can't sell me the tire as Can Am have told them specifically NOT to sell the tire as they believe it's not strong enough on the walls when taking corners!!

Anyone else heard of this?

I've read lots of posts where members are considering this tire and haven't heard anything about the walls of this tire not being up to scratch for the Spyder!

Apparently Can Am have told Discounttiredirect.com that the only tire that will work on the Spyder is the one they sell on their website and if they sell the tire, they'll be liable.

B.S??
    I had the same thing happen to me. They ask you to fill in the vehicle it is to be used on and when you select Can Am they called me and said they would not sell it to me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, you've got to tell them a little fib!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2004 Toyota Tacoma: 2wd base model... They're a GREAT truck, and we all should be happy that we can buy the Ecsta AST in the 2235/50-15 size for them, from such a wonderful Company!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IF YOU LIVE IN VERMONT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    2004 Toyota Tacoma: 2wd base model... They're a GREAT truck, and we all should be happy that we can buy the Ecsta AST in the 2235/50-15 size for them, from such a wonderful Company!
    .......I actually have one ( new ) that I will sell for what I paid $ 81...........PICK-UP ONLY.......PM me..................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The truck... or the tire???

That's a good price!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I could get my tires from out distributors so I tried to buy from discount tire. Could remember the car to put in but found a post about going to ebay. Found the same time from discount tire on ebay and bought it. No one has called and it's been shipped to my shop. Yay!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    It was slippery from day one... On wet roads it is greasy under too much power taking off. After about 5k miles she started hydroplaning very easily. I got 11k miles out of my Kuhmo - But I'm pretty hard on tires.

In contrast, I think the Kenda is better in standing water at higher mileage than the Kuhmo and stickier on wet roads overall.

That said, the Toyo Proxes 4 is the best tire I've run hands down but it is also discontinued... So I have three spares in the shed. The Toyo is hard to break loose dry, and I found on wet roads it is hard to break loose from a start on wet roads... You have to really wind her up. The best thing about the Toyo is in standing water it never came unglued on me and that was in a serious storm chasing Dan Egan(FireFly) at about 60+ MPH.

I would avoid the Kuhmo, and the Kenda like the plague. The Michelin Hydro edge has gotten rave reviews here for it's longevity and rain performance. There are still some Proxes 4's out there on ebay but you'll pay a premium for them.
    I know that this is an older reply but I just read it today. Dan is spot on about the Kumho. I'm thankful that I don't have to ride in rain often because the Kumho hydroplanes faster than I can say hydroplane.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pitbull in Springfield, Mo, put a Kumho on my Spyder in September. So, even though BRP says not to use them, some dealers will cooperate with you.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What's the nanny doing whilst all this alleged hydroplaining is going on?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All that she can... which isn't nearly enough!
    Ann,
    My Falken ZE912 was even worse...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Im on my 2nd Kumho and have experienced NO hydroplaning whatsoever...and this is as an aggressive driver on the twisties. Tire wear with the Kenda was 5k-7k...and the Kumho is easily 15k+.
    The kenda is a softer compound, which makes it stick to the road very well...but it also means it wears at a much more rapid rate. The Kumho, although a harder rubber compound, is more than adequate as a replacement. I am no longer changing tires twice a year (we ryde year-round in this part of Cali). Additionally, I have noticed no decrease in performance with the Kenda-to-Kumho swap. My decision is to stick with the Kumho as long as I can get it. Oh, and the price point ($81) is just right too!

NOTE:
    One of the 2 dealers in our area has just announced to our local ryding club that they will mount a Kumho on the Spyder with a signed waiver from the spyder owner stipulating that they understand the Kenda is the recommended tire. I really like this approach, as other "Non-Spyder" shops don't always know the proper torque specs for belt tension when mounting a tire...which could lead to belt/sprocket (or other part) failure.

Spyder Garage

Default Another Tire Order Story

This is also a little old but still pertinent.
    I was getting ready to order my forth Kumho and scanned through the messages about any alternative tires so I decided to order another Kumho. Missed this thread about problems ordering the tire so tried to order from Tire Rack where I got the previous ones, but they did not have any and recalled Tire Discounter. So tried to order from them(Salinas). Found out they would not fill an order for the spyder. Went back through the threads and found out about the 2004 Toyota Tacoma. Ordered one from Paso Robles on Wednesday and got a call on Friday that it came in. So went down on Saturday to pick it up. They use the phone number as the tracking method and they had my spyder (Salinas) listed and the Toyota (Paso) listed. Explained that it was for the Toyota. Asked where the vehicle was and I explained I was taking it back to King City. Nice man loaded it in the trunk of my car and I headed for home.

People read the threads, it makes it a lot easier and in my case could have saved me an additional 100 miles of travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ("It is a great day for hockey." Bob "Badger" Johnson)

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

2012 Bronze RT-Limited Spyder ///SOLD///
    Inspector Gadgets Floorboards $150 & Highway Pegs $65, BajaRon Bar, Corbin Seat & Armrests

2008 Yellow GS SM5 Spyder ///SOLD///
    Corbin Seat, Seal Floorboards, 3" risers, CalSci windshield, DWG Speakers, Spyder front and back decal, passenger foot peg extensions.

2015 Yellow Chevy Camaro Convertible

Spyder Garage

Just stupid we have to do this.

Got got mine from Discount Tire and had to say it was for a custom built Kart.

Still got a call, but what were they gonna say about that. Lol

Spyder Garage

I bought the Yokohama from Discount Tire and did not have to lie about what it was for. I just called the order in and they called when the tires arrived. They even mounted it on the rim without a problem. Even offered me the road hazard warranty. They could not balance it as the rim will not fit on thier machine. I balanced at home, then added balance beads and installed it. Easy.

The Yokohama is a much better tire anyway, why go to so much trouble for an inferior tire?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

So you calling me a liar now?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    So you calling me a liar now?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

LOL

Spyder Garage

When I ordered the Kumho for my old RT, I used Discount Tire direct through Ebay. No call and no vehicle info required.
    2015 F3 S se6
    2014 Jaguar F-Type V8S
    2006 Dodge Ram SRT-10 Supercharged
    2005 Roush Mustang Supercharged
    2013 Dodge Ram 2500 for towing/snowplowing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Burnt my OEM Kenda down in 7K mi.

Actually I hit the wear bars at 6K and I was so pi$$ed I swore I was going to take it down to the threads. Well, at 7K, half way through the wear bars, common sense took over and I ordered a replacement Kumho from the dealer. Not a problem. They ordered the tire and mounted it saying they've had numerous spyder owners switch from Kenda to Kumho with good results and no reported problems. Took a 260 mi. two-up ride yesterday through the twisties and back home on the freeway without any issues. I did notice the Kumho put off a new highway tread noise. Also for the first 100 mi. the digital spedo and the analog spedo were about 5 mph off from one another. After about 200 mi. they got back in sync. But all-in-all no problems with the Kenda-to-Kumho switch over. By the way, the dealer's price for the Kumho was only $20 more than Discount Tire so I had everything done all at one place. If any serious issues come up with the Kumho, I'll post them here.

Spyder Garage

Cool Who will install a michelin tire on my spyder

I'd like to put a michelin rear tire on my 2014 rt, but a dealer won't touch it because the size is different 215-60-15 than the original. I live in mesa, az. Any suggestions. I am not able to do it myself.