Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CALL FROM DISCOUNT TIRE... Ref KUMHO ECSTA AST

So, I ordered the tire from Discounttiredirect.com and I just received a call from them...

The person on the phone tells me he can't sell me the tire as Can Am have told them specifically NOT to sell the tire as they believe it's not strong enough on the walls when taking corners!!

Anyone else heard of this?

I've read lots of posts where members are considering this tire and haven't heard anything about the walls of this tire not being up to scratch for the Spyder!

Apparently Can Am have told Discounttiredirect.com that the only tire that will work on the Spyder is the one they sell on their website and if they sell the tire, they'll be liable.

B.S??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a big helping of "Hooey", to me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

just don't tell them where you are installing that tire. problem solved

Spyder Garage

BS I have that tire 13 k miles working good but it has hydroplaned I am looking at general altimax hp 215 /60/ 15 if they do not want to sell it somebody else will , or tell them it is for your car spare

Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO

I'M ON MY 2nd KUMHO, WITH A TOTAL OF 35,000 MILES COMBINED ON THE 2.... ZERO NEGATIVE ISSUES WITH THIS TIRE....
    LOOK @ IT THIS WAY, IF THESE KUMHO's CAN HOLD UP A 4000 LBS CHEVY (MINE), THEY SURE IN HELL CAN HOLD UP A 700 LBS
    SPYD3R.....
    I THINK SOMEBODY IS
    BS's YOU....
    JUST MY FHO...
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What car uses that tire size? We've got to get our stories straight... We want to know what to tell them, when they ask!

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah like the Kenda is an A-1 top quality tire. I wish they would be as concerned about the 2013 heat/fire issues as they are about who sells what tires. It is a moot point anyway they are not being made any more.

http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/categor...6-DFB6B4B089E7
    ECSTA AST

TREAD CODE: KU25

TREAD CLASSIFICATION: Directional

Designed with an aggressive directional tread pattern, the Ecsta AST is the perfect choice for plus-size fitments on imported and domestic passenger sedans. The Ecsta AST is a High Performance All-season tire that delivers year-round driving pleasure, even in light snow. The directional pattern with dual angle cross-grooves and multiple sipes add to the biting edges to enhance both wet and light snow traction. So ... be a show-stopper and ride with quality, with value and in style. Let's go with Ecsta AST.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Advanced belt package design is constructed using high-tensile steel belt and jointless nylon cap ply to reinforce the tread area, assuring high speed stability.
    • Ultra hard bead filler maximizes lateral grip and high speed durability.
    • Outstanding all-season tread compound improves wear resistance and ride comfort.
    • Specially-designed jointless high strength bead wire increases load capacity and minimizes road surface vibration.
    • Shoulder blocks feature a sharp leading edge and a rounded trailing edge to prevent heel and toe wear. The leading edge increases wet and snow traction by cutting through ice and water film.
    • Rim protector in lower sidewall safeguards wheel against scratches and abrasions.
    • UTQG rating of 420 A/A.

The Kenda has none of those features. Where is the Kenda web site? C'mon BRP you know you are reading this give us some proof your tire selection is so good. I trust your engineering....not.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've got to remember: Kenda is the only manufacturer, that currently is getting thes types of tires tested AND approved for use on motorcycles.
    After all; guess what's being put on the Polaris SlingShot??
    BRP, may not have the lattitude that we have; when it comes to choosing a tire.

Spyder Garage

Bob they do not even list the Spyder tire on their website

http://www.kendatire.com/en/search-results/?q=kr21
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What car uses that tire size? We've got to get our stories straight... We want to know what to tell them, when they ask!
    The ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410907653.081444.jpg2001 Chevy Malibu and Chevy Impala take this tire size.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They don't need to; they think that they've got a captive audience... One that'll continue to obediently purchase them from an authorized Can Am Spyder dealership.

And there's currently NO other vehicle on the road; that would use them.

Spyder Garage

Bob;
    i have them on my
    '77 Chevy, and put them on my daughters '99 Q45... NOT the same size as we use on our SPYD3Rs, but the same AST configuration.....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

wanna buy it.....?
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 09-16-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

They don't need to; they think that they've got a captive audience... One that'll continue to obediently purchase them from an authorized Can Am Spyder dealership.

And there's currently NO other vehicle on the road; that would use them.
    To know what cars uses 225-50/R15, click on this link:

http://www.wheel-size.com/tire/225/50R15/

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AND THE REASON IS

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Bob they do not even list the Spyder tire on their website

http://www.kendatire.com/en/search-results/?q=kr21
    .....Kenda cannot and will not sell you or anyone else the tires for the Spyder because BRP won't let them.......When BRP got in bed with Kenda .......an agreement was formed to Use Kenda's exclusively .....and they are only Supposed to be sold buy Stealers ( dealers ) and at a HUGH MARK-UP ( I just purchased a toyo proxces T1R --- "V" rated tire for $ 57 @ Tire Rack ) ......And Polaris is Required by LAW to put MTC. tires on the Slingshot because it's an MTC................I also believe if Kumho wanted to label their Ecsta tire a Motorcycle tire they could do so ................I wish they would ...it would solve a lot of problems .......IMHO...Mikeguyver
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-16-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

I believe the Kenda is a simple 2 ply non steel belted tire someone correct me if I am wrong. How can the sidewalls be stronger than a steel belted tire? BRP sticking their nose in our business so they can rip us off is so wrong on so many levels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zamfield View Post
    So, I ordered the tire from Discounttiredirect.com and I just received a call from them...

The person on the phone tells me he can't sell me the tire as Can Am have told them specifically NOT to sell the tire as they believe it's not strong enough on the walls when taking corners!!

Anyone else heard of this?

I've read lots of posts where members are considering this tire and haven't heard anything about the walls of this tire not being up to scratch for the Spyder!

Apparently Can Am have told Discounttiredirect.com that the only tire that will work on the Spyder is the one they sell on their website and if they sell the tire, they'll be liable.

B.S??
    Very interesting information on the sidewall strength. I would never have taken that into consideration. I would like to hear that information from the horses mouth.

Hopefully it's not smoke and mirrors from BRP.....Can anyone find definitive info?

Spyder Garage

Sounds like something the tire rep made up to push blame on someone else..

Doesn't matter anyway. I was not going to put another one on. I was please in the beginning but the Kuhmo is only have worn out and it won't stick to the road anymore. At this rate it will have to go before the thread is gone.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have read many Kumho posts with 20k+ miles on the tire and I have yet to read 1 post that said the sidewall (or tire itself) prematurely failed. Wear out after 25k+ miles I have read a few go over 30k.

Spyder Garage

Default Smoke and mirrors..!!

brp can't stop a tire company from selling tires regardless. They can suggest, recommend but thats it. If any of us put non recommended tires on and have a problem we will be the only ones responsible. But we are hearing this more and more. Vee Rubber (Arachnid) is making a spyder tire but have not heard much for some time now. I don't use car tires but do wish they would come up with some others that meet the specs for brp...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Sounds like something the tire rep made up to push blame on someone else..

Doesn't matter anyway. I was not going to put another one on. I was please in the beginning but the Kuhmo is only have worn out and it won't stick to the road anymore. At this rate it will have to go before the thread is gone.
    How many mile till it got slippery?

Spyder Garage

I ordered one from Discount Tire Direct and told them it was a spare for my Mustang. They told me it wasn't rated for a Mustang and wouldn't sell it to me.

Spyder Garage

Tire 225/50R15

Such tire size may fit the following vehicles:
    Subaru (1)
    Alcyone

Toyota (3)
    Celica MR MR2

You can add 79 Camaro or Trans am
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-16-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default michelin

When Discount didn't have the Kumho to replace my Hydroedge, I opted for the Michelin size they keep in stock supposedly at all their stores as it's a common size. i opted for the road hazard lifetime balancing cert, in hopes if it ever fails maybe they'll warranty it but they couldn't balance it on their machine, so they knocked off $ 8 or 10. Hydroedge I got from Costco had over 20k on it, and it wasn't bald yet, but i really want good traction so i replaced it. Curious if it ever does get damaged if discount will cover it? Always had pretty good luck with their certs on tires from them, lets hope i don't wind up needing it, but with a 90k lifetime out of it, should get another 5 years out of it.
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    How many mile till it got slippery?
    I have 12,000 kms on the tire now. (7,500 mi) The cooler weather lately may be a factor as well.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have 12,000 kms on the tire now. (7,500 mi) The cooler weather lately may be a factor as well.
    I was thinking that too from your location. Having used Kumhos on my Corvette I know they need to warm up a bit to get the best traction. I could spin them cold but got real sticky when hot.