Spyder Garage

Default Left fender lights stopped working

I have a 2008 GS. It does have the LED lights on the fender.

I just got the bike last week and was on a ride with some freinds when it was noticed that a wire was hanging down inside the left fender. At this point everything was working fine. Wasn't much I could do at the time so I rode it on home. By the time I got home none of the lights on the left fender was working. I took off the wheel and found the same wire from earlier had rubbed against the tire enough to wear all the insulation off of them so I figured I would patch them up and change a fuse. No such luck. After patching the wires and testing every fuse in the box they still aren't working. All other lights on the bike are fine it's just the left fender. I followed the wire harness to the end of the a-arm up next to the engine, and unplugged it. I then applied 12 volts to the harness and the fender lights all came on so I know the lights themselves work and my earlier patching up of the wires was successful. Is there something I'm missing here? Relay or additional fuses? Please help if you can. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

on who wired them and how. Some have inline fuses and some have module boxes. You may have to follow wires a bit further...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

From what it looks like to me the LED lights are wired into the factory light on top of the fender. No additional wiring was ran into the fender just spliced into existing wiring. I do not detect any inline fuses added.

Spyder Garage

Default Step 2

You know that the wiring on the light side is fine since you have applied 12 volts to that side and the lights come on. Now you need to put a meter on the other side of the connection and see if you have 12 volts at the connector. If you do; the connector itself is either defective or not plugged in tightly enough to make a good connection. If you don't; work your way back toward the fuse box to see where the connection is lost. Good Luck.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    You know that the wiring on the light side is fine since you have applied 12 volts to that side and the lights come on. Now you need to put a meter on the other side of the connection and see if you have 12 volts at the connector. If you do; the connector itself is either defective or not plugged in tightly enough to make a good connection. If you don't; work your way back toward the fuse box to see where the connection is lost. Good Luck.
    Yes thanks, that is exactly where I am at on this. All fuses check out fine. Which the only thing left are the relays. Does any of the relays affect the left fender lights independently? It appears there are no more connections from that point on the a-arm to the fuse box.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildchild6969 View Post
    Yes thanks, that is exactly where I am at on this. All fuses check out fine. Which the only thing left are the relays. Does any of the relays affect the left fender lights independently? It appears there are no more connections from that point on the a-arm to the fuse box.
    The running lights (2 fender and tail). The power path is through 1 fuse. Then switched on and off directly by the ignition switch, no relay. Splits 3 ways in the harness at one junction point then to each light. That means the problem is in the wire between the plug and the junction where ever it may be. Possible but not likely.

First since it is a led bulb. Polarity is important and that particular bulb can be reversed in the socket. Eliminate that as a cause first.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Polarity is correct. Tested already <---- earlier in post

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The running lights (2 fender and tail). The power path is through 1 fuse. Then switched on and off directly by the ignition switch, no relay. Splits 3 ways in the harness at one junction point then to each light. That means the problem is in the wire between the plug and the junction where ever it may be. Possible but not likely.

First since it is a led bulb. Polarity is important and that particular bulb can be reversed in the socket. Eliminate that as a cause first.

Could it be something in the ignition?

Spyder Garage

Did you check the connector under the top black plastic "A" arm cover? There is a snap connector there.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Yes <--- earlier in post

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Did you check the connector under the top black plastic "A" arm cover? There is a snap connector there.

I applied 12 volts to the connector at the end of the a-arm up close to the engine and the lights lit up fine. Issue is prior to the connector.

Spyder Garage

I applied 12 volts to the connector at the end of the a-arm up close to the engine and the lights lit up fine. Issue is prior to the connector.
    Then you will have to follow it back. My money is on a broken wire. Did you check the ground on the plug. Did you check for voltage on both pins in the connector to ground? One of the wires should show 0 ohms to ground (ohm meter). The other should show 12V with a voltmeter. If you are not seeing one of these that is the wire to trace back.

P.S.
    Also try sticking a pin in the wire to test past the plug if you do not find the above readings. Plugs have been known to fail.

P.S.S.
    Are you sure your wire repair did not change the polarity? LED's are polarity dependent.
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-17-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Could it be something in the ignition?
    If it was the ignition then the other fender and tail light would be dark too.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Wink Found it!!!

For those interested, I got to the root of it. After some disassembly and wire testing I discovered that there is a small microchip inline with the lights.

image.jpg

I knew the lights worked and that the fuses were fine so searching in between the a-arm connectors and the fuse box was that little beauty. It turns out that this is part of a kit that you can buy to turn your fender light(s) into a turn signal. Apparently when the wires rubbed naked under the fender instead of blowing a fuse it fried this little chip.

Funny that this little piece barely the size of my pinky nail caused me so much grief. Oh well lesson learned and to tell the truth I enjoyed my extra time in the garage with my Spyder. Thanks to everyone who read my posts and provided input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Your description of the symptoms and test results just did not add up and make any sense to me. Now that explains it that it was an aftermarket add on that was your problem. I was looking at the factory wiring diagram.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Check at the end of the led strip where the wire is connected to the wire. That's where mine disconnect from the led strip.

Mike