Spyder Garage

Default Hookup Point for Charger and Electrics

I am a new owner of a 2103 ST-LTD. I've found the battery and the secondary posts for attaching SAE wires for my trickle charger but want to know if anyone has advice about running wiring back to somewhere under the seat. I want to run my electric vest off of the SAE wiring. Could use some advice about best place (battery or secondary posts) for attaching and how to run wiring safely underneath tupperware.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

the secondary posts could be a problem. 2012 and prior have a problem on the negative post. Once loosened you cannot tighten it without a major struggle. So we all went to the battery. 2013 changed the battery location but don't know if the secondary post are the same. I run them all from the battery direct with inline fuses..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First off most any newer Spyder comes with a Battery Tender cable already connected to the battery. You should find it in the front trunk or behind the removable panel.

For the Heated clothing, I ran cables from the jump points to under the seat along the center frame and the heat controller is Velcro'ed to the outside just behind the rider seat. If you want to install permanent controller then there is a lot of room under the black piece that goes from the seat to the switches.

The 2013 and newer models have a change to the jumper points. I unclipped the jump points mount and was able to get a wrench on both sides.

I also added a separate fused power supply to provide power to whatever accessories.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

What brand of battery tender are you talking about? My Battery Tender is SAE and there's no connect point.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcC View Post
    What brand of battery tender are you talking about? My Battery Tender is SAE and there's no connect point.
    I use a "Speed Charger" by Schumacher. Works great and they are cheap and have the lead that will hook right up to the lead behind the trunk zippered panel. Good luck with your new ride

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Battery Tender is a brand name. It's the most popular charger. So far, almost any BRP vehicle comes with this battery cable (this is the lead that is behind the zippered cover and kinda looks like a laptop cable). http://batterytender.com/products/ac...l-harness.html
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Battery Tender is a brand name. It's the most popular charger. So far, almost any BRP vehicle comes with this battery cable (this is the lead that is behind the zippered cover and kinda looks like a laptop cable). http://batterytender.com/products/ac...l-harness.html
    Spyders do not come with a battery maintainer cable from the factory. There are a lot of dealers that are adding this feature during dealer assembly and prep. Easy to do before they put the front trunk on.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcC View Post
    I am a new owner of a 2103 ST-LTD. I've found the battery and the secondary posts for attaching SAE wires for my trickle charger but want to know if anyone has advice about running wiring back to somewhere under the seat. I want to run my electric vest off of the SAE wiring. Could use some advice about best place (battery or secondary posts) for attaching and how to run wiring safely underneath tupperware.
    Adding extra wiring to the jumper posts is easy and I think a better idea. The more connectors on the battery posts increases the chances of the connectors coming loose and corrosion due to dissimilar metals. Warnings about the negative jumper post do not apply to the 2013. One big warning all taps off the jumper posts must be fused.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender Lead

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Spyders do not come with a battery maintainer cable from the factory. There are a lot of dealers that are adding this feature during dealer assembly and prep. Easy to do before they put the front trunk on.
    I thought I was going nuts there for a second. My dealer obviously didn't put a battery tender lead on there. There is a lead in the battery well but I've never seen that plug (male) before. I won't assume that it's there for hooking up a battery.