Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    A nonscientific perusal of forums that provide similar kinds of information as Spyderlovers.com about other competitive products shows me that the mix of gripes, bitches and complaints is pretty much the same.

Even though those of us who are extremely happy and even moderately happy with the Spyder/BRP would probably like to see more happyTalk it isn't going to happen.
    You can only say that you like your Spyder a few times.

These things are complicated & wonderful machines produced, serviced and rode by humans.
    The machines ain't perfect and neither are the humans.

I agree Roger. Had there been internet sites back when I owned my first Harley There would have been lots of negative comments. Or in the mid 90's when Honda frames began to crack I bet you would have heard lots of negatives but there were few sites back then and fewer were connected.

Complaints on sites like this are a sign of newer technology in communications. The problems have been around for decades.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If I had researched the forums first I would have never have bought my "problematic" 13RTS. We would have saved for another year and had the money for the Goldwing trike. After getting my issues resolved and getting a 14RTS things are looking better now. The 13 model year put a big "black eye" on BRP and that info is out there for all to read. Like I have always said.... A happy customer tells no one but a pissed off customer tells everybody he sees!
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

It's the same old Catch 22.

This forum is a great place to get answers to problems and resolution of issues. There is no greater, single resource available to the Spyder owner, I don't think.

But then all the dirty laundry is hanging in plain sight for everyone to see. People tend to focus on warts.

All-in-all, I'll take the negative comments and the occasional customer who steers clear of the Spyder because of it.

It has been a rough ride for some. But overall, it's been a BLAST~
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Our 2010 RTS was doing great. Sure, it had minor issues. But they were all taken care of. Then came the ride to Spyderquest. The dreaded screen of death, the broken windscreen mount. But that could just as easily been my 2012 RTS. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

Glad I didn't listen to this or any other website when I bought my first Spyder, the reason that there are so many negative posts on a forum like this is because the complainers are the loudest, I've had some issues with my 2013 but nothing I can't handle on my own, they are great machines and BRP Care does try to help anyone with problems, that being said, there is still a big problem with the 2013 RT's, I'm sure that something will be done in due time, but reading through this message board can sure turn off prospective buyers, I still recommend them to anyone that wants the facts

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Spyder Garage

Default Getting to the Root Cause

Anytime an individual has an "issue" with their Spyder (or any other product, for that matter) we have to apply logical troubleshooting techniques and try to determine the root cause of the complaint.

Sometimes it is an actual issue with the engineering, assembly, or design of the product. These are indeed valid concerns.

But many times it is something else. Could be an issue with dealer prep, training, knowledge, for whatever reason a particular dealer can not handle it.

Then there are issues with the consumer. They have unrealistic expectations, or do not understand the product fully and complain about it doing or not doing something that is really a lack of their understanding. Could be an adjustment, could be an unrealistic expectation. They think it should do something that it just isn't capable of.

So when a newbie comes to a site like this, they are bombarded with problems of users. In an ideal world, they would be able to sort out which ones are simply chronic complainers who will post about the same "problem" over and over and over. Hopefully, they would be able to sort out which problems are truly design and engineering issues, and which ones are, well, due to what we call O.H.S. - Operator Head Space.

I have owned three different Spyders for 80,000 miles. They are exceptional vehicles. Knowing what I know now I would still have made every one of my purchases. I do believe the 2013s were plagued with more "new platform" issues than what we all expected, but these are slowly getting resolved as much as they can be with the catalytic converter placed where it is. I wouldn't buy a 990/991 Spyder if I was exclusively riding in 90-100 degree temperatures at slow speeds, that seems to be a condition I would avoid.

It is sad to learn of people who are scared off after reading posts on this site. Perhaps they are unfamiliar with the nature of forums in general, and focus on the negative instead of the positive. There are FAR more people who own a Spyder that are NOT on this forum than what are. The MAJORITY of Spyder owners are not here. We are a highly vocal minority.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

I am on my second spyder for good reasons. They were fun, easy to ride, great on trips or around town with no real problems. Made fron the ground up by one company and the price difference are added joys.

Even today, if you look, there are all kinds of Horror Harley stories.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RTS-S. I love it. I've ridden two wheelers for 40+ years. The Spyder is the best of all of them.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Here is another statistic that we don't have a handle on.
    How many Spyders have been sold worldwide, and how many people are on this forum ?
    I've met Spyder owners who know nothing of this forum, they just ride.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the members of this forum are less than half of all the Spyder owners.
    NHTSA says 52,000 Spyders through 2013. Add another 10,000 or so for 2014 and we should have ballpark 62,000 Spyders sold.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So at the current membership level; we're at well over 20%...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SL Ken View Post
    I have wanted a Spyder for several years. I started reading this site about a year ago and now don't know whether or not to jump in. I'm really very disappointed because I have been waiting all this time to get one and am now worried about a $25,000 investment that could go up in smoke, cook my legs, feet, etc. what I find interesting is that the people that are having these problems ARE on their second, third Spyder. That is very confusing to us newbies. I do know that forums are a place to air problems and try to get resolution but for heavens sake, some of these have PROBLEMS! So, I keep reading and waiting and hopefully I'll come to MY decision. A Goldwing trike would be an option but I could afford a 5-10 year old trike or a new Spyder. Doesn't seem like a very good option to me. Thanks for listening and thanks to the op for this thread to share what I've been thinking for awhile.
    You must have missed me. I am on Spyder number 5. I currently own two. No problems here. I would not drive a problematic brand of anything. That's why I have not bought a new VW since 1974.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    NHTSA says 52,000 Spyders through 2013. Add another 10,000 or so for 2014 and we should have ballpark 62,000 Spyders sold.
    Thanks. Roughly 15,000 forum members. Roughly 60,000 Spyders. If every single member of this forum had a problem, that's at MOST one out of four.
    I'd hazard a guess that 10% of the forum members have problems.
    That means 2.5% of the Spyder population is problematic. Not bad. Even if you double it. That's only 5%.
    Just testing theory against real world experience: We recently had a big gathering of about 150 Spyders
    I know of two Spyders with issues. That's 1.3%.

It would be interesting to find out how accurate these guesstimates are.

Yeah I know, approximately 82% of all statistics are made up on the spot!
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Thanks. Roughly 15,000 forum members. Roughly 60,000 Spyders. If every single member of this forum had a problem, that's at MOST one out of four.
    I'd hazard a guess that 10% of the forum members have problems.
    That means 2.5% of the Spyder population is problematic. Not bad. Even if you double it. That's only 5%.
    Just testing theory against real world experience: We recently had a big gathering of about 150 Spyders
    I know of two Spyders with issues. That's 1.3%.

It would be interesting to find out how accurate these guesstimates are.

Yeah I know, approximately 82% of all statistics are made up on the spot!
    RE: Statistics. The number of Spyders above is pretty much on the money--unless BRP wants to come on and give us their exact information.

No comment on the other numbers. When we were discussing the "heat issues," I got into it with a fellow member or two based on statistical interpretation.

I will personally say though--IMO--you are 98.57946232l87 % correct in your assumptions.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-16-2014 at 03:10 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You know what they say.
    "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure!"

Problematic bikes are always going to be over-represented on open forums such as these...
    It's just the nature of the Beast.

Besides; who really cares how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin anyway?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Yup, we can do this the easy way

Or we can proceed with the old difficult methods... ;-)

1 last one, and then I've got to run...

By the way, No major complaints here, just think our 94 octane fuel costs way too much.

Zero, sure a warm leg? Hmmm, what about it? It might be the only thing warm in me come cooler fall -* degrees.

Chas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChasCS; 09-16-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Cool Comparison

Prior to buying a spyder I talked to Trike owners, both HD and Honda as well as Spyder owners. Some of the HD owners had switched from the HD trikes to the Spyder and are happy they switched. In comparison both the HD and Honda were more expensive and both had one thing in common, manual transmissions, hand brake and clutch. I could have stayed with 2 wheelers for that, Can Am is the only one offering the Semi Auto transmission which is a selling point for many of us with medical issues. Plus the stability is a little better than either of the other 2, as told to me by folks that have owned both. Don't let the comments sway you, do your research and make your own decisions, we love ours and are looking at adding a second one.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Red face Tire kickers.

They come and they go.

Had everything posted been roses. Would he have bought one?

Tire kickers. They come and go.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

When i was buying there was a ton of bad issues going on...mostly battery and limp mode issues. Heard them all on here. I then ran into a few bad dealers.....But i still bought because i had to have one. and its been great with no issues.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Had no real problems with my '09 GS.

Met a mother and daughter at a gas station. They asked me all the usual questions, yadda yadda...

When they were getting ready to leave, the daughter ran back to me and asked 'Why does everyone say to stay away from the '13s?' I replied, 'Some of the '13s have heat issues. All the other years are great!'

They were collecting info for getting mother a ride the right way. Asking people who were on the road.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Being a member here for a couple of months...but a lurker for many more...I come here to read the negative!!! It certainly aids me in making a more informed decision. How...because it makes the positives look so much better. For me, it is much easier to read about the problems and weed out the complainers.

I have not ridden anywhere near as long as most folks here. My best buddy rode Big Dog Choppers and begged me to get into riding...that was at age 45! I decided to purchase a Suzuki Burgman 650 to learn on after I finished the MSF course. After about a year I moved up to my dream...an 05 GL1800! I loved the bike...but I developed degenerative osteoarthritis in my left hand and could no longer squeeze the clutch lever. So, I sold the bike and purchased a Yammy FJR1300 auto...loved it however the seated position placed too much pressure on my hand and I could not ride for very long...bike was sold and I gave up riding. At 52 now and another buddy who has offered to let me take his Can Am RS out...I have refused to do so because you guys here have scared me -- if I take it out...I will be buying one!!!

Since I am not one to make a fly by night decision, I read this forum a minimum twice daily and take in the negative...but mostly the positive of what is being said. I have narrowed my thinking to a 2012 RT LMT or wait until the Spring for a better price on the 2014 RT LMT. I am very patient and will wait until I have cash in hand!

i did not mean to get long winded or hijack this thread...but I am appreciative of ALL I read here and thank folks for being straight up with their comments.
    Last edited by gparr; 09-17-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Yep I am one of the "negative" posters but it is not because I dislike the ride. Below 80deg I enjoy it as much as anyone. 2013 is a one off that needs more effort to help it and I have done almost all I can. It is better than most of the really bad hot ones but at my own cost. Still waiting for BRP to do something that helps the airflow. All the pre 14 RTs have some heat issues The 2014 has had quite a few little growing pains of it's own. I will be waiting for the 2016 to come out and see how the 2015 fares unless BRP actually does something for us 2013 RT owners that either fixes them or gives us a really good deal to upgrade (even to a 2014) without losing $10k. All that said it still is a lot of fun to ride.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I gues that I'm Dave's Doppelganger; everything is all "Beer & Skittles", all of the time!
    But seriously; my 2010 had some problems along the way, but it only helped to get the fires lit!
    And the 2014: Su...WEET!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default So a question

I am wondering if the 2013 is the only Spyder with the heat issues. Were the 2010-2012 Spyders ok? Right now there seems to be some pretty good deals on those years as well. I even saw a "new" 2012 for a really good price.

Spyder Garage

Friends like to bitch around the water cooler. That is what we do here.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I go on EBAY and research a seller,I look at negative feedback more than positive..I can tell if it is fair or BS complaints,and I decide if I want to do business with them...