Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Negative Comments

Today we met a man in a parking lot on a pretty new GL1800 Trike as we talked he mentioned that he really wanted a Spyder RT but after reading all the negative comments on this site we scared him away. I explained there are many, many very happy Spyder owners and I was sorry that the negative stuff turned him away. I have a 2010 RT that I love and if I had an issue BRP was there to take care of it.
    Never accept "no" from someone who does not have the authority to say "yes".

Spyder Garage

Honda may not be perfect...but Honda is most times very well respected and known for being at the top regardless of the industry.

Bombardier, makes many great products also. I have more experience dealing with them in aviation than with BRP / Spyders. In aviation, they are no standout and run typical of other oems.

My experience with Honda in the aviation side has shown a very customer oriented attitude. Again, because Honda is Honda.

While buying our Spyder, the dealership had a new Honda Trike on the floor. In a word, expensive.

Personally, I would not worry about it. I'm sure if you look the Goldwing Trike sites have complainers also.

PK

Spyder Garage

Well said. Business is business. They are all in for the money.

Good anology

Spyder Garage

There are way more happy ryders than unhappy ones but, we are realistic there are negative comments and discussion.
    He missed a great Ryde. Love my 2010 rt.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Also have to chime in that we hear more negative than positive. This gives the impression that the is not a good product. There are many more owners that have never had a problem compared to the issues that pop up from time to time.

There are many that post multiple times about the same issue, whenever and wherever they can. This also increases the negative impact.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He DID miss out on a great ride!
    Loved my 2010, and lovin' my 2014!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would not be on my second RT if they were that problematic.

2014 RT Limited - Black / Currant

Spyder Garage

I am like him. I really got interested in a Spyder RT. My sister in law bought one last year and she really likes it and talks good about it but she has had a few problems. On my Honda trike I haven't had any problems at all and had a few Hondas and many miles without a problem. That is what is holding me up when I read all the problems Spyders are having. Still on the fence.

Spyder Garage

Default Too bad..!!

sad that he would judge his purchase on this site. He didn't read the honda or other sites with their issues. It would be nice to see the stats on units on the road vs problem units. Not having that folks seem to feel this site represents everyone ever manufactured. Hope he is happy with his choice it is a good trike..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacCh View Post
    I am like him. I really got interested in a Spyder RT. My sister in law bought one last year and she really likes it and talks good about it but she has had a few problems. On my Honda trike I haven't had any problems at all and had a few Hondas and many miles without a problem. That is what is holding me up when I read all the problems Spyders are having. Still on the fence.
    I have a feeling that if you were considering buying a Honda for the first time and were reading a Honda forum you would see several comments about problems with the bikes. Forums serve as a place people can seek assistance from other folks when they are having a problem. It is not a sign that the bikes are bad, it just lets you know that you have found a place where you can learn from others about the particular brand/model.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    sad that he would judge his purchase on this site. He didn't read the honda or other sites with their issues. It would be nice to see the stats on units on the road vs problem units. Not having that folks seem to feel this site represents everyone ever manufactured. Hope he is happy with his choice it is a good trike..
    It was his choice, not insinuating this at the guy. But overall, whether it be motorcycles, cars, boats, fast food, beer, girls, whatever, there are a lot of dumb people. Consider how many times each of you have watched something happen, the shook your head in disbelief, then walked away saying to yourself that was the dumbest thing you saw that day.

Kind of like the person that buys a triple Whopper at Burger King, goes Super Size, then orders a diet soda...Whatever, just get the super large shake and be done with it. Does not have any bearing on my day, but makes me shake my head.

Brand loyalty aside, certainly the Honda is nice.

I don't get to worked up over...

PK

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'd just like to point out that Honda doesn't make trikes, it's a kit.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Also just read that Honda is recalling something like 250,000GL-1800 for brake problems. no ones perfect!
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I agree with the guy on the trike

I have wanted a Spyder for several years. I started reading this site about a year ago and now don't know whether or not to jump in. I'm really very disappointed because I have been waiting all this time to get one and am now worried about a $25,000 investment that could go up in smoke, cook my legs, feet, etc. what I find interesting is that the people that are having these problems ARE on their second, third Spyder. That is very confusing to us newbies. I do know that forums are a place to air problems and try to get resolution but for heavens sake, some of these have PROBLEMS! So, I keep reading and waiting and hopefully I'll come to MY decision. A Goldwing trike would be an option but I could afford a 5-10 year old trike or a new Spyder. Doesn't seem like a very good option to me. Thanks for listening and thanks to the op for this thread to share what I've been thinking for awhile.

Spyder Garage

Had quite a few Honda's and had issues with all of them at some point - in one particular case I had 3 bikes of the same model with only one normally being in a roadworthy condition at any one time. They broke down so regularly that I used to just switch the number plate, WOF and Rego over to whichever one I'd managed to get working again that week.

And if your wondering why I bought 3 of them if they were that bad...they were very cheap and to be honest I enjoyed the problem solving involved in ownership:-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Here is another statistic that we don't have a handle on.
    How many Spyders have been sold worldwide, and how many people are on this forum ?
    I've met Spyder owners who know nothing of this forum, they just ride.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the members of this forum are less than half of all the Spyder owners.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Here is another statistic that we don't have a handle on.
    How many Spyders have been sold worldwide, and how many people are on this forum ?
    I've met Spyder owners who know nothing of this forum, they just ride.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the members of this forum are less than half of all the Spyder owners.
    As I am always meeting other Spyder riders who do not read forums and some who no longer read this forum due to all the negative comments they seen on here. They have told me that they have had no issues and would rather ride than worry about what might happen.
    I know I would not have purchased my Harley's if I had read any of the forums. That would have been my loss as I had years of enjoyment with them as I am having with my Spyder.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

...and then there are the trolls, paid or otherwise, whose mission it is to manipulate the conversation and erode consumer confidence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have a cure for them...
    Troll Spray.jpg

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

maybe spyders don't have more problems then others just bigger cry babies

Spyder Garage

Default Happy

I am 25,000 miles happy with my 2010 RT-S. I have owned motorcycles all My life and still own 6 plus the Spyder. When I bought the spyder I tried out a used goldwing trike. Didn't like the way it rode, the wife was ready to get off after about a mile on a country road. (we had already tried out A new Spyder and she loved the way it rode with the adjustable suspension, I was favoring the Gold wing. I grew up with hondas and still have 3 of them).
    I wanted a bike that was engineered to be what it is from the ground up. I did not want a kit. Bottom line we got the Spyder and have never looked back. Looking forward to the '15 RT's to see if we might trade up. I have never had a problem at all with the 2010. It has not been to the dealer with a problem yet. I do my own oil changes and basic service. That's all it needs. We've been cross country and back and taken many trips. It is a fantastic ride. If I were going to buy right now I wouldn't hesitate to buy a '14 RT over a Goldwing Kit.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SL Ken View Post
    I have wanted a Spyder for several years. I started reading this site about a year ago and now don't know whether or not to jump in. I'm really very disappointed because I have been waiting all this time to get one and am now worried about a $25,000 investment that could go up in smoke, cook my legs, feet, etc. what I find interesting is that the people that are having these problems ARE on their second, third Spyder. That is very confusing to us newbies. I do know that forums are a place to air problems and try to get resolution but for heavens sake, some of these have PROBLEMS! So, I keep reading and waiting and hopefully I'll come to MY decision. A Goldwing trike would be an option but I could afford a 5-10 year old trike or a new Spyder. Doesn't seem like a very good option to me. Thanks for listening and thanks to the op for this thread to share what I've been thinking for awhile.
    Don't judge the product just by the problems discussed here. People who have no problems don't usually post about it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    maybe spyders don't have more problems then others just bigger cry babies
    If DrewNJ doesn't mind, I'm going to use a word I learned from him; That's HARSH.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wylie,
    He deals in hyperbole...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Barbwire View Post
    Today we met a man in a parking lot on a pretty new GL1800 Trike as we talked he mentioned that he really wanted a Spyder RT but after reading all the negative comments on this site we scared him away. I explained there are many, many very happy Spyder owners and I was sorry that the negative stuff turned him away. I have a 2010 RT that I love and if I had an issue BRP was there to take care of it.
    I can't get too impressed by someone who makes his decisions based on forum comments rather than his own experience and test rides. Every forum i go on is dominated by negative versus positive comments.. It is the nature of the beast that unhappy people yell louder and happy people quietly enjoy themselves
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER