Spyder Garage

Default Adjusting parking brake

I tried adjusting the brake according to the instructions. Took off the lever and rotated the spindle till it was tight then losened it a bit then put it back together. Then did the adjustments on the cable till had just a tiny bit between the lever and stop. All worked well for a while. Would hold and release just fine. Then went for a ride and went to put the brake on at a gas stop and it would not engage at all. It would just go down and fly back up all the way. Did this for a couple of gas stops then the last two times at the mailbox and home it worked really good again! What adjustment am I not doing properly? Oh and I did wd40 the lever at the bolt joint. Hope someone can help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    I tried adjusting the brake according to the instructions. Took off the lever and rotated the spindle till it was tight then losened it a bit then put it back together. Then did the adjustments on the cable till had just a tiny bit between the lever and stop. All worked well for a while. Would hold and release just fine. Then went for a ride and went to put the brake on at a gas stop and it would not engage at all. It would just go down and fly back up all the way. Did this for a couple of gas stops then the last two times at the mailbox and home it worked really good again! What adjustment am I not doing properly? Oh and I did wd40 the lever at the bolt joint. Hope someone can help.
    It is not an adjustment problem. Your working on the wrong side of the spyder. If the pedal won't latch, unlatch or the pedal will not come all the way up, that means the pedal mechanism is dirty, needs lubrication or both. Clean the pedal mechanism. Then lube it. I would use white lithium grease but BRP says to use motor oil. In particular the slot in the middle and the top surface of the cam.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue earlier today on my 2014 RS SE-5. Below is the response I got. I then tried to blow out the "dirt" and blew out the hokey little spring that makes the ratchet lock and make that ratchet noise. After reassembly I now have a tighter brake dependent on a little spring staying in the oversized holes. Worst engineering I ever witnessed.
    Sidenote: The adjustment is now different on the 2014's with the brembo brake.

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You are looking at the wrong part. When the pedal won't latch, unlatch or the pedal will not return to the full up position it is because the pedal mechanism is dirty, needs lubrication or both. Give the pedal mechanism a good cleaning and lubricate it. BRP recommends engine oil but I always used white lithium grease. In particular get grease into the slot in the cam and the top surface of the cam.

Spyder Garage

Wow Billy You beat me by a minute

Spyder Garage

I never had a spring come off, but I used brake clean not compressed air.

The brembo rear brake in regard to the parking brake is not really that different, just bigger teeth on the shaft. As far as I can tell (unless there is something I am not seeing). You could not adjust it because it did not need adjusting.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks will try that.