Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=capt.jim;87648ign]I can tell you what's he's looking for.
    He emailed me really nastily saying It would void his warranty and I should put that in the instructions because I'm ripping everyone off, as now he would have to pay the shipping twice, on and on.
    He hassled me everyday threatening me to call Paypal if I didn't return his money right then.
    I told him from the beginning I understood his concerns completely, just return it and I will return his full purchase price plus the shipping to his Paypal Acct.
    His last email ended with "Since you can't be honest up front in your listing, as Ronald Reagan said, "if you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat!
    I don't say much on

how can this part void the warranty BS
    Last edited by jtoro1; 09-30-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

When you're in business , sooner or later you will run into a customer you can't please no matter how hard you try. Sounds like this was your first. It likely won't be your last. Sorry!
    3:16

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtdoragary View Post
    When you're in business , sooner or later you will run into a customer you can't please no matter how hard you try. Sounds like this was your first. It likely won't be your last. Sorry!
    Agreed, don't let it bother you Jim.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I can tell you what's he's looking for.
    He emailed me really nastily saying It would void his warranty and I should put that in the instructions because I'm ripping everyone off, as now he would have to pay the shipping twice, on and on.
    He hassled me everyday threatening me to call Paypal if I didn't return his money right then.
    I told him from the beginning I understood his concerns completely, just return it and I will return his full purchase price plus the shipping to his Paypal Acct.
    His last email ended with "Since you can't be honest up front in your listing, as Ronald Reagan said, "if you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat!
    I don't say much on here unless I have something to contribute to help someone, but this guy....

There is always two sides to the story and thank you for giving the second side.

Most people who mod their toys usually know about the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act and it should be pretty clear when purchasing aftermarket items.
    If not, this is a good read that helps put things into easier perspective in helping people make easier buying decisions. Keeping Your Mod's Warranty Intact

I know I will be making the Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner one of my "must haves" investments in the future.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't say much on here unless I have something to contribute to help someone, but this guy....
    Jim, I'm larryd and I talked to you earlier this week about using your product on my 2014 RTS due to belt vibrations around 72 mph....In light of one persons bad experience with his dealer, I WILL STILL BE PURCHASING and installing your product...Thank You for making a product that makes our Spyder's even more of a pleasure to ride...larryd

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty...etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cedarmeadow View Post
    Hum, I read, Damages Resulting from use of parts or accessories not manufactured or approved by BRP . Will not be warranted under any circumstances.

I am a 100% disabled Viet Nam Veteran, had to fight dam hard for years to get my benifits. I love my spyder, and do 4 PGR missions a month. As stated before, it is 70 miles to my closet BRP dealer in Charleston, 150 miles to the next dealer in Columbia. Who is the same dealer that is in Charleston. With all fights with corp. you have to have time, money, and a dam good lawer. Sorry brothers can't risk my warrenty at my age. Thanks, and good luck
    My 2014 RT has been a delight since day one except for some ocassional belt vibration. Capt Jim's SMOOTH SPYDER BELT TENSIONER has really made a big difference! Thank you capt Jim for a great product and fast, friendly service
    Ronbo

Spyder Garage

Well hopefully this guy now realises his attempt to flame Jim's excellent products has had the opposite affect.

Don't have the SmoothSpyder belt tensioner yet but it's on my list of must haves and I have no worries about it affecting my warranty when I fit it. Have the SmoothSpyder backrest (via Martin at Australian Spyder Riders), that's certainly a quality product and I'm very happy with it.

All I can say is it sounds like he and his dealer are well suited and will make a lovely couple.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, glad your enjoying the backrest.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Don't Kill The Messenger !

A new Form member asked if the Smoothey Belt Tenisioner Voids the Factory Warranty ?

AWNERS

Your dealer is a Po Po Head
    Find Another Dealer
    I love Mine
    Jim is a Great Guy
    I have no regrets
    Dealer put mine on
    Write or Call BRP

Best Awnser: Call or Write BRP

BRP Awnser

At Best (Legal Jargon)

Put in English: Conservatively

Any parts, not manufatured by BRP Voids those affected parts by said products, and the part itself.

Conclusion

1. Those of you that baught and instaled this product are MAY be not backed with a warrenty from BRP. On those effective parts for service or parts by BRP. Dose Smoothey back you ?

2. Smoothey now knows to inform any future buyers of said Void of BRP warrenty, and to get his legal staff in place.

3. Any FUTURE BUYERS ARE MADE AWARE of the good and bad of this product.

THE REST OF THE STORY

I contacted Jim, and told him I had contacted my dealer and asked why they were so fixed about not using this part ?
    They had recived a Maintenance Buliten, that many dealers had sold, or installed this product. And that it had caused great amount of stress on the front and rear bearings and seals. That BRP would not pay for any repairs where this failure was found due to this problem. With the MANY Dealerships, they own. They found it only right by letting there customer made aware.

I want to thank all the open minded, helpfull Fourm members for there many opinions . I hope to ride with you on any PGR missions.
    Last edited by cedarmeadow; 09-21-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

I contacted Jim, and told him I had contacted my dealer and asked why they were so fixed about not using this part ?
    They had recived a Maintenance Buliten, that many dealers had sold, or installed this product. And that it had caused great amount of stress on the front and rear bearings and seals. That BRP would not pay for any repairs where this failure was found due to this problem. With the MANY Dealerships, they own. They found it only right by letting there customer made aware.
    I am not buying they got a service bulletin about Jim's product!
    If this was true, all dealers would have this AND service bulletins are usually posted on the BRP web site (though buried and hard to find). I have seen no such bulletin myself and I try to stay up on them all.

However as I posted, your dealer is correct that IF you had a failure of the front seal AND you were running this product, you "could" be denied warranty work. This is what most people did say. If the add-on was proven to cause the failure related, then you wont be covered. Even then if you did have a seal failure, it might be a little iffy to prove it was caused by the Smooth Spyder. But it could cause a debate and in the end chances are you would be denied. BRP's choice here unless you took them to court and fought it which would not be worth it in the end.

But let me just say in a nice way. Many have this device on their spyder including me. I have had no issues in 5K miles. Others I am sure have a lot more miles with this device than I do with no issue. In fact I have not seen ONE REPORT of someone having a front seal failure when using this product.

So in the end, you can decide not to put it on if your worried your seals will fail. Or you can decide to put it on and "maybe" have an issue which I doubt you will.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

A new Form member asked if the Smoothey Belt Tenisioner Voids the Factory Warranty ?

AWNERS

Find Another Dealer
    I love Mine
    Jim is a Great Guy
    I have no regrets
    Dealer put mine on
    Write or Call BRP

Perhaps you would find life a bit more worth living if you were driving a Honda....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AWNERS

Find Another Dealer
    I love Mine
    Jim is a Great Guy
    I have no regrets
    Dealer put mine on
    Write or Call BRP

Best Awnser: Call or Write BRP

BRP Awnser

At Best (Legal Jargon)

Put in English: Conservatively

Any parts, not manufatured by BRP Voids those affected parts by said products, and the part itself.

Conclusion

1. Those of you that baught and instaled this product are MAY be not backed with a warrenty from BRP. On those effective parts for service or parts by BRP. Dose Smoothey back you ?

2. Smoothey now knows to inform any future buyers of said Void of BRP warrenty, and to get his legal staff in place.

3. Any FUTURE BUYERS ARE MADE AWARE of the good and bad of this product.

THE REST OF THE STORY

I want to thank all the open minded, helpfull Fourm members for there many opinions . I hope to ride with you on any PGR missions.

IMHO-This attitude is just part of the growing problem with modern day society.
    Unfortunately, we are becoming a society looking for everyone else to TELL us what is right/wrong, good/bad and take responsibility for that, instead of figuring it out for ourselves and taking responsibility for our own actions.

Spyder Garage

THE REST OF THE STORY

They had received a Maintenance Bulletin, that many dealers had sold, or installed this product. And that it had caused great amount of stress on the front and rear bearings and seals. That BRP would not pay for any repairs where this failure was found due to this problem. With the MANY Dealerships, they own. They found it only right by letting there customer made aware.

I want to thank all the open minded, helpful Forum members for there many opinions . I hope to ride with you on any PGR missions.
    Looking at this from the outside:

That's a huge problem if it's been proven without a shadow of a doubt that the front and rear bearings and seals stressed and failed because of the tensioner. That would than be a definite voided warranty. That in itself would require some kind of product disclaimer.

There are always two sides to a story. I definitely heard your side and understand your concerns.

Can they post that Maintenance Bulletin? With this being the biggest Spyder forum around, I'm sure it can be produced.
    Someone with inside BRP mechanical knowledge can chime in and put this to rest. While they are at it they can also put that Kuhmo tire debacle to rest as well.

Without it or a second side to the story most of us don't believe it until we see if for our own eyes.

Spyder Garage

Mr Cedarmeadow started calling me the day after I shipped it about the warranty issue. I said don't even open the box, just send it right back which he did, he never looked at the directions.

I state in the instructions verbatim "this tensioner will add small amount of spring loaded tension to the static tension setting, so it is preferable to have the static tension setting on the low to mid end of the Spec's so as not to exceed the 1200N maximum".

Almost all of the ones I have checked on the 13-14's are on the low side at 900-950N. Chances are if they were set at 1100N or more they would not be needing one as much or at all, as they would probably be less prone to the vibration, but more likely to have a high static tension stress related failure. I can't see any reason for it to affect the seals in any way.
    My 13 ST came with 770N, under tensioned by BRP Spec's.

I am sure one day someone will have a front output shaft failure with the tensioner installed, even though it is set below the maximum BRP spec's, and someone will say "there you go! The tensioner has caused a failure!
    Output shafts fail very occasionally and would have probably failed either way.
    There are thousands of these in use and fortunately I haven't had to face this issue.

I also am concerned about someone not mechanically inclined doing the installation and not getting the belt aligned or the bolts tight, if it ever came off and got fed into the rear sprocket it would not be good to say the least.
    For this reason I use all grade 8 nuts and bolts, include locktite on the U.S. manufactered grade 8, 1/2" bolt that goes into the tapped 13-14 brackets.
    I also include a new grade 8 locknut and include locktite for the rear shock mount model. In the instructions, "Apply a small amount of Locktite on the bolt near the bracket using the new 15MM locknut. I use the best components and locktite, all I can to eliminate a parts failure from the product or installation.
    In addition to all my efforts, I do have a disclaimer at the bottom of the instructions.
    "If you are unsure of your mechanical abilities, please have the installation performed by a certified motorcycle mechanic. End user assumes all liability in the use of this product.

Spyder Garage

I am sure one day someone will have a front output shaft failure with the tensioner installed, even though it is set below the maximum BRP spec's, and someone will say "there you go! The tensioner has caused a failure!
    Output shafts fail very occasionally and would have probably failed either way.
    There are thousands of these in use and fortunately I haven't had to face this issue.

I also am concerned about someone not mechanically inclined doing the installation and not getting the belt aligned or the bolts tight, if it ever came off and got fed into the rear sprocket it would not be good to say the least.
    For this reason I use all grade 8 nuts and bolts, include locktite on the U.S. manufactered grade 8, 1/2" bolt that goes into the tapped 13-14 brackets.
    I also include a new grade 8 locknut and include locktite for the rear shock mount model. In the instructions, "Apply a small amount of Locktite on the bolt near the bracket using the new 15MM locknut. I use the best components and locktite, all I can to eliminate a parts failure from the product or installation.
    In addition to all my efforts, I do have a disclaimer at the bottom of the instructions.
    "If you are unsure of your mechanical abilities, please have the installation performed by a certified motorcycle mechanic. End user assumes all liability in the use of this product.
    I know some dealers are very mod friendly some are strictly by the book.
    With the thousands out there I wonder how many people read the disclaimer and/or took it to a mod friendly BRP dealer service department to have installed.
    I would like to see the document that Cedarmeadow states is out there.

I still like the tensioner idea and don't understand why BRP did nothing to remedy the excessive slack for the 2014 models.

Spyder Garage

I said don't even open the box, just send it right back which he did, he never looked at the directions.
    Great...I was hoping to ask for a semi local guy open box big discount.

PK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm new to spyders, I just bought two RT Limited and have been reading about your product. While I was at Louis Powersports in Greenville Tx yesterday I mentioned your product to the service manager and he informed me it would void the warranty and that they put too much tension on the belt which leads to tranny failures. Like I said I'm a newb to spyders so enlighten me if you can?

Thanks!
    Kerry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Because if its installed and everything adjusted accordingly and as may/may not be needed, it does not put any additional pressure on the belt tension outside of the factory specifications.

Jim actually describes it pretty good in his response?

Spyder Garage

In my mind I always thought BRP was kind of happy I was around to clean up some of their loose ends as far as customers complaining about the vibration, at least there was a solution available and not on their dime. In addition it would give them an easy out to deny the warranty if there was a failure.

BRP has over 5000 dealerships in 80 countries, of which I have sold to dealers and customers alike in 35 countries. Not once has anyone contacted me with any issues of a problem related to the tensioners.
    I would be surprised that BRP would suddenly send out a bulletin to all their dealers when there have been no reports of any failures, I am sure we would have heard of something along the way on Spyderlovers and I think I would be the first to hear about.
    I think dealers would be calling me right and left wanting to know what is going on and how to return their inventory. If they have then I will eat my words.

Almost every modern car engine is equipped with a toothless single flat serpentine belt system powered from the crankshaft and running the alternator, AC, water pump, pollution control, etc. They all use a very heavy duty belt tensioner exerting extreme pressure with all kinds of backbends on the belt. You typically need to use a 1/2" breaker bar to relieve the pressure enough to change a belt, none of these bearings are failing. Usually the first thing to go is the tensioner bearing itself and they typically go over 100,000 miles before getting noisy.

Does the Rotax engine design have such weak output shaft bearings that 12 Lbs of spring loaded tension is going to destroy them, that seems ridiculous to me. These are rugged engines with slick shifting, trouble free gearboxes. Seals do fail occasionally on anything, but generally there is no reason for a seal to fail or start leaking unless there is damage or side to side movement of the shaft due to sloppy or worn bearings.

The main purpose of a tensioner on anything is to stop slippage or vibration without having to require extreme pressure on the other components.
    This is not rocket science here, tensioners have been around forever and are on everything. Google it and read up.
    A tensioner will increase belt life also. Not that the Gates belt manufactured for BRP has any problems, they are quite stout and last a long time. When a belt is vibrating to where you can barely see it, common sense should tell one this can't be good for anything.
    If you can feel the vibration through the whole bike, imagine what your front sprocket , output shaft and rear bearing assembly are feeling, that is what's taking the brunt of the vibration first, how can this be good?
    My 13 ST arrived with 770N, under-tensioned by BRP Spec’s of 900-1200N. It had the same vibration as most at 72-78 MPH. The tensioner at 12 Lbs. alleviated this without having to raise the fixed static tension. I I also noticed some vibration that would start about 50 down to 38MPH while slowly decelerating. Remembering a video that BRP sent to the dealers showing top belt vibration a few years ago, I also added a top tensioner, as the bottom of the belt would now be tight while decelerating and the loose side would be on the top. With only 5 Lbs of tension on the top it is now smoother than I ever would have imagined. Would I rather have 2 tensioners and a much lower static tension than 1100N fixed tension to achieve the same effect?, absolutely. To each his own and I will be the first to tell you if something bad happens, I just don’t see it.

And to you, Joe Pilon, “cedar meadow”, while you are trying to deride my product and business practices and make me “feel the heat” as you put it and cause general inflammation, I thank you for the chance to bring to light the effects and uses of a tensioner to machinery in general. Do some reading, educate yourself, nothing to be scared of. Good day sir!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    it's time to check with higher ups at your dealer and if you get the same responce move on. At best it would hamper a claim to anything related to the belt. But with your tension set correctly the smoothspyder will not affect anything other that vibration. Considering we have the longest belts in the industry it amazes me brp doesn't put a tensioner on at the factory...

"Hear, Hear". How's that for 2 cents

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile RT Smoothspyder Belt tensioner

I am on my 3rd Spyder since 2008. I have installed the tensioner on my '08 RS, '12 RTS and my "14 RTS. A total of 48,000 trouble-free miles. My Spyders have been serviced by our local dealer, with tensioners installed. Two of the three were installed by the dealer. The newest one by me. Easy to do. Never a question about warranty. Best of all, the product is phenomenal. I am surprised BRP doesn't produce them. Great job Jim.

Spyder Garage

Here is the simple solution to this whole thread.

The original poster should take their Spyder to the Dealer and ask them to correct the vibration , to their satisfaction, since an aftermarket solution to a defect on the Spyder will supposedly void the warranty .

After the dealer makes several unsuccessful repair attempts , email BRP and demand they step up and fix this vibration .

Simple , right? Exactly.

Why come on here and bash a vendor who supplies a product used by many many many Spyder owners , that greatly helps eliminate a situation that virtually all Spyders have ? Why not get your butt over to the dealer , demand they fix it and then in your words , make them feel the heat when they don't fix it.

Capt. Jim supplies a great product that made my Spyder a dream to drive , if you want to accept your Spyder with its vibrations the way it is, so be it. Otherwise you have two choices , demand it be fixed by your dealer (please report your results here) or put this simple straight forward part on and go spend your time enjoying your Spyder instead of spending it on hear crabbing......
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Jim, you know how I feel about your product and I WAS A SCEPTICAL person with good mechanical knowledge.

All this is BS in my opinion....

I have said in my post that your instructions are clear about belt tension and top end of the spec. I read it and it was clear to me. Made sense too....

I have shot video showing what this unit does and NO FREAKIN WAY if your belt is even above mid spec, is it going to cause failures! That is my opinion of course. Bottom line it got rid of my belt vibrations that caused me to avoid certain speeds on the highway.

I AM pretty damn mechanically inclined and get the principles. This is not rocket science NOR is the belt tension adjustment which people put a lot of "voodoo" around..... Sheesh... makes me want to
    So simple really.......

Thumbs up Jim and all this "speculation" is really not warranted.... I personally thank you for a well tested, researched, and solid product!
    AND I am not saying this to blow smoke up anyone arse...... I am saying this because I too was not sure but after doing a sh*t load of testing myself, it's solid and does what it claims PERIOD....

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 09-22-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Just to add..... So people know....

There are 2 vibration issues. One is the belt at certain speeds NOT RPM's..... It is speed related....

The other is a RPM issue with the Rotax motor and the motor mounts. I still have that. You can get at certain RPM's (not speeds) a harmonic vibration you feel in the foot pegs. This is the motor bouncing on the motor mounts. It's a different vibration that the belt. Like a "hammering" feel. I wish I could explain it better. But after talking to many about this, it is common and MANY think it is the belt. Bottom line the belt vibe is a speed thing at highway speeds. It CAN come and go with load like going up or down a hill. When you go up a hill at the same speed the belt loads and vibes can go away for a little while. You will know the belt vibe cruising down the highway vs the motor mount RPOM vibe. You just have to realize the difference.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Just to add..... So people know....

There are 2 vibration issues. One is the belt at certain speeds NOT RPM's..... It is speed related....

The other is a RPM issue with the Rotax motor and the motor mounts. I still have that. You can get at certain RPM's (not speeds) a harmonic vibration you feel in the foot pegs. This is the motor bouncing on the motor mounts. It's a different vibration that the belt. Like a "hammering" feel. I wish I could explain it better. But after talking to many about this, it is common and MANY think it is the belt. Bottom line the belt vibe is a speed thing at highway speeds. It CAN come and go with load like going up or down a hill. When you go up a hill at the same speed the belt loads and vibes can go away for a little while. You will know the belt vibe cruising down the highway vs the motor mount RPOM vibe. You just have to realize the difference.

Bob
    At what RPM range do you typically notice this?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame