Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner

About a week ago I purchased Smooth Spyder Belt Tensiiner for my 2013 RT SE5 as per the Spyder Lovers add page. While at my dealer for a oil change, I asked if I could get it put on next week. They informed me that it would Void the warenty from Can Am. Sent a E Mail to the vendor and asked why he dose not tell us that it Voids our warrenty in his add ? Glad I sent it back with confermed delivery, as he said had not got it. Sent him USPS delivery confermation and them he found it in his mail box. Did any one else know this ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cedarmeadow View Post
    About a week ago I purchased Smooth Spyder Belt Tensiiner for my 2013 RT SE5 as per the Spyder Lovers add page. While at my dealer for a oil change, I asked if I could get it put on next week. They informed me that it would Void the warenty from Can Am. Sent a E Mail to the vendor and asked why he dose not tell us that it Voids our warrenty in his add ? Glad I sent it back with confermed delivery, as he said had not got it. Sent him USPS delivery confermation and them he found it in his mail box. Did any one else know this ?
    That is absolutely ridiculous if it voids your warranty. I installed that product this past winter and have absolutely no regrets. It stopped the vibrations that usually occurred around 55 MPH. Did your dealer explain why it would void the warranty?

Spyder Garage

with advice like that, you need to find a new dealer for your service

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    with advice like that, you need to find a new dealer for your service
    My dealer fitted mine without question and I have supplied them to several Can Am dealers here in Australia.

Not sure about the laws in the US but here in Australia they cannot legally make a blanket statement like "it voids your warranty" - that's BS. If the warranty claim is for a component that is not associated with the belt tensioner (for example, engine, gearbox , suspension etc) then it is still covered by law. I would be surprised if it is not the same in the US.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Your dealer is a poo-poo head. Find a new dealer.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Default Whoa..!!

it's time to check with higher ups at your dealer and if you get the same responce move on. At best it would hamper a claim to anything related to the belt. But with your tension set correctly the smoothspyder will not affect anything other that vibration. Considering we have the longest belts in the industry it amazes me brp doesn't put a tensioner on at the factory...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't be surprised if you said your dealer is also a Harley dealer. Sounds like something they would say. The belt tensioner would have to be the cause of the problem.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if you said your dealer is also a Harley dealer. Sounds like something they would say. The belt tensioner would have to be the cause of the problem.
    The dealer is Velocity Motor Sports Charleston SC. they are 70 miles from me. The next dealer is in Columbia SC 150 miles away, they are allso Velocity motor sports. I can't risk a 5 year warenty .I Was told this by the service manager and the head mechanic both. If any one has more detailed information on this Please keep us up dated. At this point in my life I am not going to risk a 5 year warenty, or want to pay a lawer and court cost. Been their done that.
    Last edited by cedarmeadow; 09-16-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

just call brp and ask them if it voids warranty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    just call brp and ask them if it voids warranty
    Sent in the Question by E Mail to BRP lets see what they say.

Spyder Garage

I would take it off before service by the dealer it is easy to install even a monkey can do it

Spyder Garage

Default B.S.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

My dealership won't install after-market parts either. But when my Spyder shows up with "something new," they don't say anything. They can't because they are aware of the Warranty Act.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

The dealer is Velocity Motor Sports Charleston SC. they are 70 miles from me. The next dealer is in Columbia SC 150 miles away, they are allso Velocity motor sports. I can't risk a 5 year warenty .I Was told this by the service manager and the head mechanic both. If any one has more detailed information on this Please keep us up dated. At this point in my life I am not going to risk a 5 year warenty, or want to pay a lawer and court cost. Been their done that.

If they are looking for bogus excuse to tell you your warranty is void, its not worth much at that dealer no matter what you do with that tensioner.

The tensioner would have helped the vibrations on the bike and would not void your warranty.

Again, you need a different dealer, you solved nothing returning a very well made product that WORKS.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    If they are looking for bogus excuse to tell you your warranty is void, its not worth much at that dealer no matter what you do with that tensioner.

The tensioner would have helped the vibrations on the bike and would not void your warranty.

Again, you need a different dealer, you solved nothing returning a very well made product that WORKS.
    Stent the question to the Manufacture BRP. This was there respone:

In response to your request and as mentioned in the exclusions of the warranty section of the operator's guide, the following are not covered under the manufacturing warranty;
    • Damage resulting from removal of parts, improper repairs, service maintenance, modifications, or use of parts or accessories not manufactured or approved by BRP or repairs done by a person that is not an authorized servicing BRP dealer;
    • etc;

will not be warranted under any circumstances.

We trust that you will understand the need to respect the conditions and limitations stipulated in the terms of the manufacturer’s limited warranty. You can refer to the warranty section of the owner's guide by using the following link: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/

In there you will be able to read the following information related to the warranty:

Spyder Garage

Default BPR response

Remove all except damage caused by use of aftermarket parts and damage to the parts themselves. They won't warranty parts you installed or had installed unless BRP parts. On the other hand, they cannot, under current law, deny warranty service for issues not directly caused by the aftermarket parts. The rest is smoke and mirrors.
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

Stent the question to the Manufacture BRP. This was there respone:

In response to your request and as mentioned in the exclusions of the warranty section of the operator's guide, the following are not covered under the manufacturing warranty;
    • Damage resulting from removal of parts, improper repairs, service maintenance, modifications, or use of parts or accessories not manufactured or approved by BRP or repairs done by a person that is not an authorized servicing BRP dealer;
    • etc;

will not be warranted under any circumstances.

We trust that you will understand the need to respect the conditions and limitations stipulated in the terms of the manufacturer’s limited warranty. You can refer to the warranty section of the owner's guide by using the following link: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/

In there you will be able to read the following information related to the warranty:
    Yep, BRP will not warranty the tensioner, but the tensioner will not effect the BRP warrranty. As everyone tried to tell you here.

Again, that dealer that wants to find excuses not to honor your warranty is going to do so regardless of the tensioner or not. YOU NEED TO FIND A BETTER DEALER.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hum, I read, Damages Resulting from use of parts or accessories not manufactured or approved by BRP . Will not be warranted under any circumstances.

I am a 100% disabled Viet Nam Veteran, had to fight dam hard for years to get my benifits. I love my spyder, and do 4 PGR missions a month. As stated before, it is 70 miles to my closet BRP dealer in Charleston, 150 miles to the next dealer in Columbia. Who is the same dealer that is in Charleston. With all fights with corp. you have to have time, money, and a dam good lawer. Sorry brothers can't risk my warrenty at my age. Thanks, and good luck
    Last edited by cedarmeadow; 09-18-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

Don't bother asking questions here if you never wanted help in the first place. A number of folks here all tried in various ways to give you the same information and yet you continue to side with the dealer that has stated they have every intention of borking you over. The tensioner has nothing to do with it.

The Smoothspyder tensioner is a very well made product that works GREAT and does nothing to effect your warranty coverage what so ever. BRP even told you that. They just stated that they will not cover the tensioner itself as its not a BRP part. How on earth could that tensioner ever cause damage to your Spyder? It cant, it actually reduces wear in the bearings by the reduction of belt harmonics. The dealer you are working with just wants excuses to have you pay for service (at much higher rates) rather than deal with BRP warranty claims, regardless of the tensioner. His intentions are clear. You have done nothing to 'protect' your warranty. Please quit trying to scare other folks from taking advantage of great aftermarket parts that solve real issues.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

If you use that logic then adding an after market seat, arm rest, pegs ....ect, that are not BRP products would void your warranty as well. They will not warranty the after market part itself as it is not theirs and as far as damage they would have to prove that the damage was caused by the after market part in question. That being said your warranty is only as good as the dealer.

Spyder Garage

B.S. According to BRP, and add on will only affect the warranty if said add on causes something else to fail. My dealer put mine on for me no questions asked. I think that you should find another dealer who will give you the straight scoop. I am really glad that I have one on my RT Ltd, as it has smoothed out the harmonic vibration from the VERY long belt. The technician that works on my said that he noticed the difference when he took it for a test ride. I had other things done as well at the same time, and he wanted to put some miles on it to make sure everything was OK. I couldn't be happier. Don't blame Jim for your dealer's ignorance.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents......

If the bearing on the motor for the belt output shaft were to fail, and you had the tensioner, I could see BRP denying warranty claim for that failure. It does change the belt tension no way to deny that! But it will in now way violate other warranty claims that are not related to the belt system. That's the law! The add-on has to be involved with the failure to deny a claim.

With that said we all know it wont change the belt tension enough to cause an issue UNLESS your belt is adjusted at the total top end of the spec. This would be rare. The instructions do talk about this as well and to check your belt is not too tight.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I have a custom made one and my dealer has already saw it and had problem with it being on there. As long it is not overtighten can only help you.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Didn't you post this on the other spyder forum? What is your point? What response are you looking for?

Your dealer is ridiculous. Your entire warranty cannot be voided because you add a tensioner to a drive belt.[emoji57]

You really need to find a different dealer....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Play nice...my Harley dealer is just as good about mods as our can am dealer...[emoji106]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Didn't you post this on the other spyder forum? What is your point? What response are you looking for?

Your dealer is ridiculous. Your entire warranty cannot be voided because you add a tensioner to a drive belt.[emoji57]

You really need to find a different dealer....
    I can tell you what's he's looking for.
    He emailed me really nastily saying It would void his warranty and I should put that in the instructions because I'm ripping everyone off, as now he would have to pay the shipping twice, on and on.
    He hassled me everyday threatening me to call Paypal if I didn't return his money right then.
    I told him from the beginning I understood his concerns completely, just return it and I will return his full purchase price plus the shipping to his Paypal Acct.
    His last email ended with "Since you can't be honest up front in your listing, as Ronald Reagan said, "if you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat!
    I don't say much on here unless I have something to contribute to help someone, but this guy....