Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VANDALISM! Broken antenna

Having a great time riding today and when we stopped to put the cover on the antenna just fell off in my hand. I am sure it was fine when we started out today. Even though those are fiberglass, they are still pretty stout, so someone must have vandalized it while we were in shopping. Since I know that the security system uses the antenna to read the key (I think), I was delighted that it started up and we were able to ride it home. No SEC codes have popped up and I'm wondering if there is a bare nub enough to let the key be recognized.
    I really want to go to a steel one that has a spring mounted on the end to hopefully keep that from happening again. The thread on it looks like a 1/4-20, so it should be able to make something up. From what I can see, it is just a ground plain set-up, so anything with the same length probably should work. Any thoughts? Or has anybody been through this before. Kinda wondering what a OEM replacement antenna will cost. And kind of disappointed that Can-Am would use such a weak point for the security of the bike. If that knowledge gets out to the wrong people, we could all start having problems like this. A hidden ground plane antenna should have been used up close to the key. That would have been the way to do that. Not through the damn antenna. I hardly ever listen to the radio, usually Blue Tooth on my phone, so don't really need the antenna for anything other than the security system.

Spyder Garage

The real experts will get on here shortly, but for now. I do not believe the antenna has anything to do with the key/starting system. I had no antenna on my GS and none for a year on my RT.
    There are several antenna threads on here. Them breaking off is dicussed/cussed several times.
    Good luck
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

The "security system" uses a ring antenna near the ignition switch.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I read something about an antenna and the DSS, but it evidently is not the radio antenna.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Thanks for the info. I read something about an antenna and the DSS, but it evidently is not the radio antenna.

Just go to Walmart and by the Schoche rubber duckey antenna. Direct replacement and will never break again. Less than $10. This is a common problem with OEM antennas.

Spyder Garage

The DESS antenna is in the shape of a doughnut around the barrel of the ignition switch. The key must be within less than an inch of the antenna to work.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Having a great time riding today and when we stopped to put the cover on the antenna just fell off in my hand. I am sure it was fine when we started out today. Even though those are fiberglass, they are still pretty stout, so someone must have vandalized it while we were in shopping. Since I know that the security system uses the antenna to read the key (I think), I was delighted that it started up and we were able to ride it home. No SEC codes have popped up and I'm wondering if there is a bare nub enough to let the key be recognized.
    I really want to go to a steel one that has a spring mounted on the end to hopefully keep that from happening again. The thread on it looks like a 1/4-20, so it should be able to make something up. From what I can see, it is just a ground plain set-up, so anything with the same length probably should work. Any thoughts? Or has anybody been through this before. Kinda wondering what a OEM replacement antenna will cost. And kind of disappointed that Can-Am would use such a weak point for the security of the bike. If that knowledge gets out to the wrong people, we could all start having problems like this. A hidden ground plane antenna should have been used up close to the key. That would have been the way to do that. Not through the damn antenna. I hardly ever listen to the radio, usually Blue Tooth on my phone, so don't really need the antenna for anything other than the security system.
    a simple fix unscrew the antenna from the base on bike and drill out the fiberglass inside leaving the wire at the bottom for connection. then trim the antenna down 5 or so inches but make sure copper wire is exposed thats in the center of antenna. Epoxy it back in. then screw back on to bike mount. A savings of 50-60 buck for oem that will just break again within a month if your as lucky as I am....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OR THIS ONE

One of our brothers here ( PMK ) found another option in the Antenna area. It's a HIDDEN stick antenna that can be had with a 6 Ft. cable exiting from the end. This is long enough for you to place the antenna alongside the outside of the " FRUNK " which can be accessed by removing the PANEL just below the mirror on the right side ( use the right side because the 6 ft. cable needs to be on that side to reach the radio.) .......Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    One of our brothers here ( PMK ) found another option in the Antenna area. It's a HIDDEN stick antenna that can be had with a 6 Ft. cable exiting from the end. This is long enough for you to place the antenna alongside the outside of the " FRUNK " which can be accessed by removing the PANEL just below the mirror on the right side ( use the right side because the 6 ft. cable needs to be on that side to reach the radio.) .......Mikeguyver
    Sounds good - what did you use to cover the hole in the bodywork?

To the OP, I don't think you were vandalized. The oem antenna has a weak spot where the fiberglass antenna goes into a brass insert that screws into the antenna connection. The fiberglass antenna cannot be bent very much. The closer to the mounting end you bend it, the greater likelihood you will break it. I broke it twice because of the cover. I learned the first time to always put on the cover from the back of the bike first. The 2nd time, I had a helper who tried to help me take off the cover while I was working from the front. The helper was pulling it off and bent the antenna over and the rest is history. Lessons learned; only 1 person should be taking the cover off and the cover comes off the front first, then back last. When putting on the cover, the back goes on first and the front is stretched on last.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Doubt it was vandalism

Riding down in the Smokies this past week and checked my antenna only to have it fall off in my hand. Checked the connection and it had broken at the screw threads. This is the second OEM antenna and lasted for 3 years, lost the first after 2000 miles. Looks like bad equipment and many have told me to replace it with a shorty from Wal-Mart. Bike ran just fine without it so probably won't hurry to replace as I rarely have the radio on.

Spyder Garage

I got a universal rubber ducky from Advance Auto. It is female, but I have a M6 1.0 bolt that I cut the head off of, ground it down to correct length, and loctited it in place. Thinking back, it is possible that putting the cover on broke it. I sure hope so.

Spyder Garage

I had mine break also. Found the walmart antenna had poor reception. I instaled an antenna from an auto. The majority of all cars and trucks use the same stanless steel antenna that works great, same leangth and will not break. It has a smooth shank about 3/4 inch ,just cut a 6M thread on it and your in buisiness. I went to our local dump and out of 5 vehicles found 3 perfect antennas. Best deal no charge, works great and looks like original and will never have to replace it again.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    I had mine break also. Found the walmart antenna had poor reception. I instaled an antenna from an auto. The majority of all cars and trucks use the same stanless steel antenna that works great, same leangth and will not break. It has a smooth shank about 3/4 inch ,just cut a 6M thread on it and your in buisiness. I went to our local dump and out of 5 vehicles found 3 perfect antennas. Best deal no charge, works great and looks like original and will never have to replace it again.
    Roger
    Hey, I like that idea. I'm running the walmart shorty and the reception isn't good...downside of living in the sticks. When I hit the boneyard again I'll grab a steel antenna.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n