Spyder Garage

Default Question for the Northwest Spyder Folks

My wife and I are in the planning stages of riding our RT's to our sons Law School graduation next May in Salem Oregon. I know some of you have ridden from there to Spyderfest here in Missouri. Weather permitting what is the best route that time of year for the spyders?
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

Spyder Garage

Default Great

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Cowboy View Post
    My wife and I are in the planning stages of riding our RT's to our sons Law School graduation next May in Salem Oregon. I know some of you have ridden from there to Spyderfest here in Missouri. Weather permitting what is the best route that time of year for the spyders?
    . By then I have put away heated and long handles. Always have my Bajaron suit handy in case temps dip a little . Rain gear have handy for Salem side of state. Spring is beautiful in Salem area..enjoy.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How much time do you want to spend making the trip, before and after? What part of May, early, late, or the whole month? Weather transition from early spring to summer happens all month. Fast trip focus on super slabs. Leisurely trip, there are a lot of great 2 lane roads to take. I would suggest you look at a more southerly route and then work your way up northward on the way to Salem, and then a more northern route to go back. I'm going to say the most iffy part until late May will be crossing the continental divide. High chance of being cool and wet in MT and WY, but not so much in CO.

Take a look at the maps and select a prospective route and let us know. Then we can comment more intelligently on pros and cons. Google street view is a great way to get an idea what a specific road looks like.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Bring rain and heated gear. Temps could be 50-60ish. I think Oregon can be warmer than here in Washington somewhat but be prepared for cold and rain. You could also luck out for milder dryer weather. Just be prepared for cold and wet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Weather permitting what is the best route that time of year for the spyders?
    Pending , for the pending Graduate!

The BEST route; is the one that allows you to cover the most miles underneath the nicest scenery, on the best roads...
    I only wish that I knew what it was!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I will save the "best route" information to those who know better. There is a lot of great scenery on your trip. I like Wyoming and S. Dakota for sure. They are on the way before you turn south. Wyoming will give you Yellowstone, and SD will give you the Black Hills and all its glory. May can get you snow in the high country though. We encountered snow at Mt. Rushmore and Needles Highway in early May this year.

Bring gear for the worst weather, and you will be covered for anything. Enjoy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red