Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Re : I fix the PO174

Hi, everyone

We are back from vacancy , back to job no time to write here.

On vacancy for 6000km check engine came on a couple of time and went out. On the trip I decide to remove the canister at the hotel and some shopping at AutoZone for parts. Check engine stay on but no more error code after some miles when I bring the key with me to Wal-Mart I came back and check engine is off. I'm wishing having fix the po. The po174 came back again. I leave it like that I'm back to home I will have time to fix it. I will post video later . I check the gas filter and as soon I touch the clamp the gas goes out from a little pinch hole in the hose throttle body side. Is this possible enough pressure for the gas come out? And let's air going to the throttle body causing a lean.Today I change my gas filter at 57000km. Is it enough bad that it could cause po174. Look the dirt on my hand.
    I don't want to go to the dealer to expensive. I want to do it by myself. I was thinking before it was relate to the purge valve so I'm wrong. Next time will check O2 for voltage as describe in the manual shop.
    Thanks for reading .

uploadfromtaptalk1410550581533.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410550595970.jpg

Last edited by Mickay; 09-12-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add video

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A P174 is a system too lean code. It means unmetered air is entering the engine and the computer is unable to meter it to calculate fuel strategy. I would look for loose or cracked vacuum lines or leaks around the throttle body.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mickay View Post
    Hi, everyone

We are back from vacancy , back to job no time to write here.

On vacancy for 6000km check engine came on a couple of time and went out. On the trip I decide to remove the canister at the hotel and some shopping at AutoZone for parts. Check engine stay on but no more error code after some miles when I bring the key with me to Wal-Mart I came back and check engine is off. I'm wishing having fix the po. The po174 came back again. I leave it like that I'm back to home I will have time to fix it. I will post video later . I check the gas filter and as soon I touch the clamp the gas goes out from a little pinch hole in the hose throttle body side. Is this possible enough pressure for the gas come out? And let's air going to the throttle body causing a lean.Today I change my gas filter at 57000km. Is it enough bad that it could cause po174. Look the dirt on my hand.
    I don't want to go to the dealer to expensive. I want to do it by myself. I was thinking before it was relate to the purge valve so I'm wrong. Next time will check O2 for voltage as describe in the manual shop.
    Thanks for reading .

uploadfromtaptalk1410550581533.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410550595970.jpg

Your video is set to "Private", so we will not be able to view it unless you change it to public or unlisted.

Spyder Garage

While you are on the left side check the 3 inch vaccum hoses under the throttle body , for cracks

Spyder Garage

Cool

Hi, everyone

My brother start to taunt at me with my P0174 lean bank 2 , that i can't repair my spyder myself without going to dealer to be plug on B.U.D.S.

He said exchange your trouble hard working spyder for an harley ,and also you have an harley look guy , (tattoo,ear ring, pinch,) but i ride with the spyder till 2008 on GS and now RT and i love the safety thing about the bike so looking a bad ass on my spyder i don't care. Is a challenge for me to repair my thing. He said it's easier working on an harley than the spyder maybe, he said that because i work on he's bike and i do a lot of change on is bike til 2005 date he bought. He pay the parts i do the work. He give idea i make it real. I change is rear belt, front chrome fork, handle bar (redo wiring and cable), installing some chrome cover parts, lifter, cam,piston,head(big bore),carburator , new chrome disc,chrome galiper,new chrome coil, magneto, fitting is new chrome mag wheel front and back (it was stuck when he was trying to install is front wheel and it does not fit so he call me, "Man, i think i buy the wrong wheel, the disc don't fit in the galiper." So i came to is rescue , and said let's me do my work brother ,so i fix he's problem. I would like to fix my bike , to shut he's mouth.

check fuel pressure , change fuel filter, make canisterectomy, change oxygen sensor (rear cylinder), change 3exhaust gasket (1 leaking), 2 3 inch hose from MAP sensor not leaking , no pinch, i put tie rape for safety. I have oil in the air box is it possible that the oil go through the 2 hose and clog the MAP sensor, is it possible to clean it with spray sea foam ? Also , is it possible that my fuel filter (35400miles) maintenance say 18000 miles was to old and dirty and let past some piece of filter and clog the injector ?

Are right that's it for this time hope not bother you with my little story.

Sunday remove and check injector. and checking again the 2 hose. I can't work on spyder everyday. It's take sometime we make long hour at job.

Spyder Garage

Definitively, resolve my p0174. I change my 2 hose throttle body to map. No more check engine and no more code. I use temporary 2.8mm inner ,i will look for 2mm thick also, to prevent collapse of the hose when hot the hose come soft.

Spyder Garage

If I figured correctly, 57000k is around 35,000 miles. It's not uncommon for a fuel filter to be that dirty at that mileage. That's why the filter should be changed at 30,000 or 5 years. So you're right in the ballpark.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Not fix yet

Hi, me again.

After replacing the hose the check came back 80 miles later. So i turn around and go back home. Near my home , my eyes start itching and was smelling gas a lot. As soon i arrived , i let the bike running and remove all the panel too find the smell, could not find where come from. I remove the throttle body, checking air inlet nothing abormal , remove and clean the two injector already clean. Put everything in place.

Anyone idea next thing to check before give up and let dealer fix it.

Maybe the MAPS is defect ?

Spyder Garage

Default I find something else

Hi,

I find something today and it's maybe the cause of my P0174.

For those with P0174 watch this.

Spyder Garage

Intake boots? Something to look for while under there.
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Hi,

I find something today and it's maybe the cause of my P0174.

For those with P0174 watch this.

Is that the throttle body?
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Yes that's the throttle body left side of the bike.

Spyder Garage

I have not thinking before that because the rubber looking good , no crack, it's w
    hen i spray the boot with sea foam a see tiny bubble , so i move the throttle left to right , tiny crack appear , i take flat screw driver when i push on crack it pass through. On the video it was larger , i pass before .

Spyder Garage

I call the dealer order new Flange intake gasket 420 267 150 (N/A) maybe the one i have on my 2010 PE was defect.
    new part 420 267 151

Spyder Garage

Default How to go

Good catch on the gqsket leak. Passed it on to the tech trying to solve my P0174 mystery. Thanks for sharing the info

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    I have some pictures of the flange intake.
    oldbootrear.jpginsideboot.jpgoldandnewboot.jpg

And my check engine light is always there. But my P0174 is intermittent.

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    Is this could be relate to P0174 ? Lean condition ?

reargasketleak.jpgfrontleak.jpg

Anyway i will put new gasket , and the same time checking the valve.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice catch on the cracked throttle body rubber boots! That will for sure cause a lean condition.

The other is some oil weeping at the head cover gaskets. This will cause no issues other than being messy. It's not unusual to see that at all.

Spyder Garage

Good find and thanks for letting us know to look for that. A cracked boot like that is common for snowmobiles of various manufacturers and should not be a surprise that it can happen to a Spyder. But I don't remember it ever coming up before on a Spyder.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Just replace my fuel filter took a fuel sample where's all that rusty looking crap come from? 31k miles replaced line to it as well when I get my air box out I'll get the other end of that line
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

I just finish changing the valve cover gasket. When i remove the throttle body i can see the valve look what it look like it have deposit carbon. 6 month a go i put some sea foam in it maybe not enough they did remove carbon but maybe half of the valve so the valve it not closing tight give a lean condition P0174.
    I'm thinking loud that why i look everything i can think..
    I'm french 42 years my dad give his spyder last year but i ride with it most of the time even with the 2008. I like it very much i don't have so much money for the dealer. Kid,wife at home and i like putting my nose in every toys.
    I wish i'm not boring anyone with my story.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Yesterday after noon, I warm up the spyder , use see foam a the same time. Turn off to cool down. Spray sea foam in the throttle body intake directly on the valve ,let it sink for 45 minutes. Start the bike , ear some noise (cling cling) from the valve 2-3 sec.... back to normal idle noise.
    Make the oil change , with 10w40 amsoil.

9:30PM I decided to take it for a ride to takeaway my check engin light on highway 70-80mph , it was pretty cold 48F , with heat vest, heat handle, 21" windshield make is job. 18 miles later i stop for fill up 89 octane ane check engine turn off. During this evening i put 60 miles, no error code ,check engine off.

Today, i decided to take another ride 55F. Put another 100 miles no error code ,check engine off.
    I wish i have resolved my P0174.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just finish changing the valve cover gasket. When i remove the throttle body i can see the valve look what it look like it have deposit carbon. 6 month a go i put some sea foam in it maybe not enough they did remove carbon but maybe half of the valve so the valve it not closing tight give a lean condition P0174.
    I'm thinking loud that why i look everything i can think..
    I'm french 42 years my dad give his spyder last year but i ride with it most of the time even with the 2008. I like it very much i don't have so much money for the dealer. Kid,wife at home and i like putting my nose in every toys.
    I wish i'm not boring anyone with my story.
    Hey Mickay, you are definitely not boring anyone, you are providing valuable information. Tres bon job mon ami! C'est bon pour faire ton travail sur son Spyder, mon j'aime ca aussi!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default No more P0174

Hi,

After 200 miles no check engine and no error code. The bike pull hard ,run smooth.

What i do ?

Change fuel filter ? Check for hose leak. (I fix the leak)
    Cleaning injector manually ? Already clean.
    Change flange intake ? I change both one was crack.
    Recheck spark plug and wire.
    Change valve cover gasket
    Cleaning the valve with sea foam.
    Change 3inch hose on throttle body. One was crack.

I think my problem was the flange intake.

I'm happy that i fix my self without dealer or BUDS.

Spyder Garage

Default injector o ring

Hi,

Just to let you know ,my p0174 and backfiring are back. Bad Injector o-ring could cause p0174 too lean and gas smell. I will put new o-ring and let you know.