Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT BRP Custom Seat Mod

I am a 6-ft tall, average build, guy who thinks that I'm sitting a little too close to the handle bars. I have an RTS-SM6, and obviously have to use the clutch and shifter. Is it worth the money to buy the brp custom comfort seat that will push me back an extra 2"? I'd like to hear from anyone that was skeptical but was thrilled afterwards... Or vice versa and wishes they saved that money for another mod. Any feedback is appreciated, because I'm torn on which way to go... By the way, if anyone in the Atlanta area has one and would allow me to "try" it out, I would appreciate it.

Thanks y'all!

Spyder Garage

Brian,
    Like all ergo issues, anything standardized can be hit or miss.
    For myself, the OEM backrest fits perfect, but many others are having trouble and prefer a Utopia.
    I'd suggest you find a Spyder with the BRP custom seat on it and try it out.
    The dealer should have one, if not, perhaps a forum member near you.
    You can't really judge by others experience, because they are most likely built different than you.
    If you don't like the BRP comfort seat, there are many saddle makers that will tailor one specifically to you.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the same issue being I was uncomfortable and went with the comfort seat..Made a big difference in my book..There are always other seats out there too..
    I have the heated seat the dealer gave me a great price on it..

Spyder Garage

The BRP comfort seat does move you back 2" and the extra angle on the legs is great if you are bunched up too far forward. Solving one problem does sometimes lead to others though. I had to also get the TriAxis handlebars as once I moved back 2" the handle bars were too far forward for me. Longer term, my bum did not find the BRP comfort seat all that comfortable with pain points on either side where all my weight seemed to concentrate on two points rather than spread over an area. Kinda like the difference between a bicycle seat and a saddle.

I just got an Ultimate Tall Boy seat and trying it out. It does fit me better and supports over a larger area like sitting in a saddle. Its also not as far back as the BRP Comfort seat. About 1.5 inches vs 2". Its also thicker between your thighs and knees than the BRP seat which has bothered some folks.

You need to try several seats before you throw money at it. Lots of options. Attend a Spyder event and ask others to let you try their seat. Most folks don't mind and understand the problem. I have done this for a number of folks.

Good luck in finding the perfect riding position for long enjoyable rides.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Comfort Seat is made to general ergonomics and won't necessarily work for yours.

In my opinion, you would be better going for a more custom application.
    Look into Russell Day Long seats.
    They require photo's of you sitting on the bike and work to what you require and send them.
    They'll also try to fix any issues you have with the seat if you receive it and aren't happy with it, until you have something you're happy with.

Again, each person is different but if you cut the variables down... QED, you're going to get a better product!!