Spyder Garage

Default Got my new 2013 ST Limited!

Yahooo, went to Salt Lake City to pick up my new 2013 ST Limited (from Oregon, because I couldn't find a shipper that would commit to date and cost). Drove it a little, I'm a newbie rider, it kind of scared me, I'm used to driving my atv with a thumb throttle. Found that when I make turns, I loose track of the throttle, because I'm used to just holding on and using the thumb throttle. I'm going to need to do a lot of training!
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!! Welcome..!!

on your new ryde when you can your in a great place here. Relax and practice a bit and you will be fine. Having the four wheeler experiance will help you a lot. Be careful, be safe, above all enjoy..!! !
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Congrats on joining the Spyder club!! There are some great intro threads for new riders... I think they were by Lamonster.

A few quick pointers,
    1) a motorcycle safety course is a great primer if you're not already familiar,
    2) keep your wrist flat when you start out, an arched wrist has a tendency to torque the throttle too much and too quickly, especially in turns,
    3) try practicing turning with your left arm being the dominant arm in turning the handle bars,
    4) relax your shoulders, don't tense up, it affects the steering,
    5) practice - drive around your neighborhood with an occasional jaunt on and off the highway... don't get caught in a situation you're not comfortable with so think ahead in your route.

Have fun!!
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

I came to the Spyder from an Outlander so know how you feel. The Spyder throttle is a lot smoother and clutch less harsh so you'll get used to it in no time. My biggest problem was trying to convince myself that it wasn't going to spit me in to the hedge at every corner...it won't, but just knowing that isn't enough and you'll only get to believe it once you've learnt to trust it. Good choice of ride though!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    Congrats on joining the Spyder club!! There are some great intro threads for new riders... I think they were by Lamonster.

A few quick pointers,
    1) a motorcycle safety course is a great primer if you're not already familiar,
    2) keep your wrist flat when you start out, an arched wrist has a tendency to torque the throttle too much and too quickly, especially in turns,
    3) try practicing turning with your left arm being the dominant arm in turning the handle bars,
    4) relax your shoulders, don't tense up, it affects the steering,
    5) practice - drive around your neighborhood with an occasional jaunt on and off the highway... don't get caught in a situation you're not comfortable with so think ahead in your route.

Have fun!!
    Thanks for the pointers! I will give them a try!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    I came to the Spyder from an Outlander so know how you feel. The Spyder throttle is a lot smoother and clutch less harsh so you'll get used to it in no time. My biggest problem was trying to convince myself that it wasn't going to spit me in to the hedge at every corner...it won't, but just knowing that isn't enough and you'll only get to believe it once you've learnt to trust it. Good choice of ride though!
    Exactly, the throttle is really smooth! And with no clutch, timing is kind of non existent? thanks for the positive thoughts.

Registered Users GrumpySteelMan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome! Congratulations!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

&
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Congrats !

Best of luck & stay safe.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default welcome

Glad you got your spyder they are lots of fun. When you get everything figured out an on the road we have to get together and ride, as we only live 45 miles apart. Myrtle creek it is home.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

congrats

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

and on your new ride. Follow the suggestions in your owners manual--cones optional. Most drivers take about 500 miles of learning curve before they become comfortable. Give yourself about fifty to a hundred miles before you go over 55. Over control makes the seem like it has a mind of its own.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new machine. Your in the right place, all things spyders!!
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for their ideas! I went for a 50 mile ride today, feel much more comfortable. I found that if I leave my little finger off the handle bar I have more control through turns. As I get more confident I will be able to move my total hand onto the throttle.