Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sticking turn signal switch

My turn signal switch likes to stick when I push to the right or left. Graphite lube helped quite a bit, but yesterday after washing the bike it wanted to stick. Eventually it started to work more normally but still wants to stick once in awhile. Anyone experienced this problem, and were you able to fix with some sort of lube? I'm thinking about trying to get the dealer to replace it under warranty but wonder if they won't insist on trying lube first.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Try this..!!

Check where the metal blade goes into the control housing. If it is to close and rubbing (top or bottom) there in lies your problem. Small file or sandpaper between the parts and a little filing or sanding and it will be fine. If not the case you have to get inside and depending on the model could be hairy...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JT fixed his in that manner...
    You could probably PM him for some specifics...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

On mine it would only stick to the right. It seemed to get worse every time I washed it. I pulled the switch all the way to one side and shot a bunch of WD40 into it and then the other way. I used the hose to get it past the rubber seal. That was sometime in june and it has work good since.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    On mine it would only stick to the right. It seemed to get worse every time I washed it. I pulled the switch all the way to one side and shot a bunch of WD40 into it and then the other way. I used the hose to get it past the rubber seal. That was sometime in june and it has work good since.
    I've been hesitant to use WD-40. When a switch was sticking on my Goldwing a couple of years ago the Honda service manager said don't use it. It attacks the plastic and can damage the switch. I finally used a silicone lube on it a few days before I took it in to the get switch replaced under extended MA.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Mine would stick. Worse in cooler weather. Took a pic of it stuck to the right. Dealer replaced under warranty.y opinion is that it a major safety issue. Bike feels safer now that I don't have to worry about someone thinking I am going to turn when I plan on going straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sticky Turn Signal

My switch would not turn off from the right position. Dealer replace the control module under warranty.

No problem

Spyder Garage

My dealer replaced the cluster of switches on the left side of handle bars. This solved the issues with the signals turning off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydertrike View Post
    My dealer replaced the cluster of switches on the left side of handle bars. This solved the issues with the signals turning off.
    Mine also yesterday.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Two Replacements

I've had the switch cluster replaced twice with no improvement. The new cluster works well for a thousand miles or so and then reverts to the same sticking behavior as the previous switch. In my case, always sticking when pushed left. No amount of filing for better clearance worked either. So I just got used to it. Trained myself to automatically just flick it back to center every time I push it for a left turn. Flicking it back to center keeps it blinking until you make your turn and the self cancel function shuts it off. Just like it's supposed to work without the extra step of flicking back to center. There are numerous threads and posts on this subject.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    My turn signal switch likes to stick when I push to the right or left. Graphite lube helped quite a bit, but yesterday after washing the bike it wanted to stick. Eventually it started to work more normally but still wants to stick once in awhile. Anyone experienced this problem, and were you able to fix with some sort of lube? I'm thinking about trying to get the dealer to replace it under warranty but wonder if they won't insist on trying lube first.
    On mine the plastic knob was rubbing on the housing... a few minutes with a finger nail file and done.

JT

Spyder Garage

Mine just started sticking, intermittently, when signaling for right turns. I mentioned it at my 9300 miles service, last week, and the dealer said he ordered a replacement under warranty, for me. He also said he has to pull off the frunk to get to the wiring harness, so I think this will be an excellent opportunity to replace my spark plug wires . . . he said doing it then would save me a lot of labor cost.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)