Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Traveller's Advice

Getting ready to do a New England trip in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if some of you seasoned travellers could give some tips. I read the post about the hornet spray and that was a gem. Any other stuff I need to know? We plan on riding 300-400 miles a day. I figure to not stay overnight in the big cities and plan on securing the trailer to the bike. Parking right in front on the room. A cover for the bike and trailer to discourage people. The trailer has double lock handles, so that should help. Plan on not leaving any valuables on bike or in trailer.

trailer.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default ESSEX

if in ESSEX, MA you really need to stop at WOODMAN'S http://www.woodmans.com/ for friend clams... or lobster, or any other kind of fish they have... EXCELLENT...
    this is where the 'fried clam' was invented over 100 years ago....
    enjoy you ride and post pix upon returning....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SCYD3R

Spyder Garage

I use a cable lock in the two front wheels, AND with a cord to the handle bars to remind me to unlock the cable and remove it efore I try to move.
    Disc lock on a ST 1100 and wil not tell the rest of the story.
    You might ask if it can parked up front in the lighted area reception area. Still a chance, but the lights might scare a few off. Some rooms are out in the dark area or second floor.
    Good luck and have fun
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks like you've got it covered.

Are you going to SpyderQuest? If so, I'll see you there!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Security great..!!

but that has never been an issue in my travels. Take your time, hydrate a lot and stretch at gas stops and meal breaks. Walk around a bit. I never make reservations for in between stops that way I have no pressure on time. Most of all enjoy the ryde have fun your destination will be there when you arrive...do carry the odd tool and safety stuff...send pictures..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I use a cable lock in the two front wheels, AND with a cord to the handle bars to remind me to unlock the cable and remove it efore I try to move.
    Disc lock on a ST 1100 and wil not tell the rest of the story.
    You might ask if it can parked up front in the lighted area reception area. Still a chance, but the lights might scare a few off. Some rooms are out in the dark area or second floor.
    Good luck and have fun
    Oldmanzues
    I have a 12 ft cable lock (got on amazon) that allows me to not only cross the wheels but usually attach it to a light post. might be silly but sure feels secure and it guards the trailer nicely when I want to detach it for serious curve riding wherever I visit
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Relax, and have a GREAT time!
    About the worst that could happen: if you worred too much about all of the stuff that didn't happen along the way...
    We'll expect lots of pictures too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Relax and enjoy

I have great roadside and spyder/trailer insurance. Yes, it is nice to be able to park right by room...but I have discovered in my many 1000 of miles traveled. That by the time I get myself in room after covering Spyder & trailer...that I am exhausted....and fall asleep ... so I say relax and enjoy. Love the small towns....share your trip with us.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Most motels allow bikes to park close to the entry, or you can ask for a ground floor room, and park it outside your window.

I always have a can of flat fix, Honda cleaner to clean the bugs off (do not use on the windshield), and a good multi-tool to allow you to perform simple tasks, beyond the basics offered by your tool kit (good knife, scissors, allens, and small sockets). Another must for me (I always have my smart phone and iPad) is the list of dealers and Pure-gas apps.

Have fun!
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I lock the handle bars with my key. Oh I have a RT Limit

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Previous posters all have good suggestions. Nothing additional that I can add other than have a great trip, be safe, and take a lot of pictures for the memories.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red