Spyder Garage

Question replacing the headlight bulb in a 2011 rss ?

Gonna have to buy a shop manual, but till I do....
    How do I get to the headlight too replace the bulb? Don't really see a simple way and I don't want too break anything.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default headlight

pain in the rear

you can get to it by removing the gauge cluster and reaching in removing the rubber boot then 1/4 turn the socket

its a very tight fit for large hands like mine

I think there might be a video on here showing it

Spyder Garage

Default headlight

looked for a video didn't see one for the rss

best method

1.remove windshield

2.release gauges (small tabs in top) unplug the cluster and set aside where it wont fall and break

3.remove turn signal arms (use care when removing plugs )

4. along the top of the head piece is tabs use small screwdriver to release tabs insert screwdriver between halves to maintain open till all tabs are popped open

5.lift top to open it (it will remain attached in front)

remove the rubber boot 1/4 turn the connector inside and slide the plug and bulb out

(important DO NOT TOUCH THE NEW BULB WITH YOUR FINGERS oils will cause it to discolor and fail )

put on rubber gloves preferably remove old bulb and insert new one in place re insert it to the socket and turn till stop

I did both at same time so I wouldn't have to go back in in a month and saved the good bulb just in case

now test to make sure the lights work

right hand grip back side is a button push it and the lights should turn on

if they work re assemble the bike in reverse

good luck and have fun

Spyder Garage

Default A couple thing I've learned while doing this.....

If you use a plastic cable tie, about 3/16" wide, and long enough to grab hold of ....you can remove your instrument cluster without taking off the windshield. Takes less than 30 seconds.

I find that if I remove the middle side panels and the top panel in front of the seat, I can get one hand in the top and one in from the bottom. If you have large hands like me......

I take and wrap my Right thumb (because I'm right handed) with electrical tape, starting from the top of the knuckle...with the sticky side away from the skin (so you don't pull the hair

off when removing the tape) working down to the base of the thumb then twist the tape at the bottom and work your way back up to the knuckle with the sticky side down. Do not

wrap the tape so tight that you cut off the circulation in your thumb! By doing this you will not slice up the side of your thumb!! Latex or vinyl gloves do NOT HOLD UP TO THE

SOMEWHAT SHARP EDGES OF THE PLASTIC LIGHT CANS) Learned this the hard way the first time I did this!! Do as another suggested hear and replace both light bulbs while your in

there. I only replaced one and sure as !!, I was back at changing the other one in less than a month!! (28 days to be exact!!) Good Luck!! Not as painful as a full body wax!

Spyder Garage

If you have large hands like me. Straddle the frunk, facing the rear of the spyder. Now reach into the cluster area and grab / turn the bulb to remove it. It's easier to grab / turn it facing the rear. The wrist bends better.