Spyder Garage

Default Audio system problem

I need help with a problem with the audio system. I have a 2012 RT with BRP hard wire CB the problem started this summer when we were in Colorado. My wife is the one who sometime can not hear me when we talk or sometimes she can hear me but not the music or sometimes she can not hear anything at all or some times just the music but very low. IT gets very frustrating when you are on the road for 38 days and 7000 miles and you can't communicate with each other. Some of you may have seen us in Durango CO we won Best Paint/Graphics If we had a chance to meet you, you know how much I like to talk. Yes we have tried to play with the volume control in the front and back we have even tried switching helmets, plug hers into the front and mine into the back. Still the same problem. WIFE not happy. I have No Problem hearing the music or her talk. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Old Wolf; 09-03-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't use the setup that you have; but guess, is that you've got a loose connection somewhere in the wiring for her setup...
    I'm sure that her helmet is fine; it's from where she plugs in, back to the "box".
    As I mentioned; I don't know the system, but that's where I'd start my search...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We have that system and have had the same problem once. It was the boom mic not sitting down all the way into the cradle. Pushed it down and it was fixed. But if it only happens in the back no matter which helmet you use it does sound like a loose din connection.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 09-04-2014 at 08:56 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Just an FYI to help if you decide to inspect the harnesses yourself.
    The wired setup has two harnesses.

The Entertainment harness. This plugs into the radio which is under the right side passenger hand grip. This is easily accessable by removing the cover under the right passenger hand grip. You might check this connection to the radio. The Entertainment harness then crosses to the left side of the bike. The passenger DIN cable is connected to the Entertainment harness on the left side of the bike and should be accessable in the battery compartment and under the left passenger handgrip cover.

The communication harness. This plugs into the entertainment harness and supplies the front driver DIN connection and hooks up the PTT button. This connection is on the right side in front of the saddle bag. Access to this connection requires you to remove the side panels so you can see these connectors.

The CB mounts on the right of the bike in front of the right saddle bag. This connects to the Entertainment harness on the right side. Access to this connector requires you to remove the right panels

The XM radio mounts to the left saddle bag and connects to the Entertainemnt harness on the left side of the bike. Access to this requires left side panel removal.

Based on what you are saying, sounds like connection problems with the entertainment harness. Either it's connection to the radio (which everything passes through) or the cable itself and the passenger DIN connector.

Hope this helps.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wolf View Post
    I need help with a problem with the audio system. I have a 2012 RT with BRP hard wire CB the problem started this summer when we were in Colorado. My wife is the one who sometime can not hear me when we talk or sometimes she can hear me but not the music or sometimes she can not hear anything at all or some times just the music but very low. IT gets very frustrating when you are on the road for 38 days and 7000 miles and you can't communicate with each other. Some of you may have seen us in Durango CO we won Best Paint/Graphics If we had a chance to meet you, you know how much I like to talk. Yes we have tried to play with the volume control in the front and back we have even tried switching helmets, plug hers into the front and mine into the back. Still the same problem. WIFE not happy. I have No Problem hearing the music or her talk. Any suggestions?
    I should mention that all of the audio problems started the same time the first trailer light module went out. It was replaced in Las Vegas and that module only lasted (3) days. The audio system worked fine when we were in MT and WY I thought that maybe the cooler temp had something to do with it working but that changed when we got to SD.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wolf View Post
    I should mention that all of the audio problems started the same time the first trailer light module went out. It was replaced in Las Vegas and that module only lasted (3) days. The audio system worked fine when we were in MT and WY I thought that maybe the cooler temp had something to do with it working but that changed when we got to SD.
    I don't know much about the trailer module or harness but I believe that hooks to the bike in the battery compartment right there where the passenger DIN plug and entertainment harness is. Perhaps they damaged the harness or connection? I would remove the battery compartment cover and left cover under the passenger hand grip. They are easy to remove. Check things in there.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bad switch

I have had the same problem with my passenger audio. Try playing with the switch itself. Push and hold the control to high volume and see if that changes anything . If that don't change anything try wiggling the button .Mine appears to be a bad switch and now to try and get it replaced under warranty by the dealer. I had mine looked at and tested by Sierra electronics in troy Ohio and they could get it to fail just by pushing or wiggling the control. I originally thought it was caused by a bad headset or cables.

Spyder Garage

I want to thank everyone for all the advice on what to check. I was not able to check every thing out sooner, Grandkids ball games grass cut work around house. Did not find any loose connections No frayed wires No kinks in wire harness, even switched boom mic, the switch for the passenger is working fine. Every thing works fine in the garage. AS SOON AS WE GOT 3 BLOCKS FROM HOME IT ALL STARTED AGAIN SOME TIME EVERYTHING WOULD WORK FINE AN SOMETIME ALL THE SAME PROBLEMS Any more ideas?? Wife Not Happy

Spyder Garage

Default Bad switch

Had the same problem as you are having. See previous post above.Took it to the dealer and proved the switch was defective. New switch = no problem = happy wife = happy life.

Spyder Garage

What switch are you talking about?
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default Switch

The passenger audio control switch on the right side .

Spyder Garage

Thanks