Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Switching to a Spyder

Hi, just joined. Have always ridden a sporty bike. Right now I'm riding a 600 Honda Shadow but instead of another two wheeler, I'm thinking about a Spyder for touring. My husband has a 1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 and I love it. We like long distance riding and it's really time for me to have a trike. The bigger bikes are way too tall for me and would be way to difficult for me to handle. I'm only 5' tall. Just thought I'd say hi and to let you all know I'm in my "learning all about Spyders" phase.

Pat

Spyder Garage

Welcome. Spyders are a great machine. Among other things, they have a real reverse and they do not tip over when stopping.
    There is a thread called do and don't for new riders on here, but the computer twit I am. I do not know how to find it. I think somebody will do so on here. Lots of nice people as well
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

You've come to the right place to learn all things Spyder!
    Here's the link for the Do's & Don'ts mentioned above.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...light=homework
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Pat!
    Since you're used to bikes, and want to log some serious miles; The RT-S can be had with the SM-6 transmission, if you prefer to stir your own gears...The ST-S can be outfitted with bags and touring amenities if you prefer a bit more compact ride.
    a pic or two of your rides?
    (We like "leaners" too!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I made the switch about 2 months ago

and I have not looked back! I had a Suzuki Boulevard C50T which I loved. But with all the sand and stones down in the southern part of AZ I was having a lot of difficulty with my stops and backing up, my feet would slip. The owner of the bike shop where we do business let me drive his Spyder around in the parking lot and it was not only love at first ride it was "OH MY GOSH I GOT TO GET ONE OF THESE". I ended up with a 2014 ST Limited. I have never had more fun, more excitement, more confidence than I have now. I can keep up with my husband and the other people that we we ride with now. It is the best thing I have ever done. Yah the price was a whole lot more than my other bike but I got so much more in return. Not only that but the storage is fantastic!!! I can't say enough about the wonderful experience I have had with my Spyder. If you have a chance sit on one, take it for a little test ride and you will get caught in the web! Oh, I also built many of my own Spyders on the BRP website before I actually even sat on one...just day dreaming never thinking I could even get one!! I am one very, very happy lady....but I have now developed a new disease OSD....Obsessive Spyder Disorder.

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pstebbins1108 View Post
    Hi, just joined. Have always ridden a sporty bike. Right now I'm riding a 600 Honda Shadow but instead of another two wheeler, I'm thinking about a Spyder for touring. My husband has a 1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 and I love it. We like long distance riding and it's really time for me to have a trike. The bigger bikes are way too tall for me and would be way to difficult for me to handle. I'm only 5' tall. Just thought I'd say hi and to let you all know I'm in my "learning all about Spyders" phase.

Pat
    Welcome aboard.

From what you're describing, I can't think of a better way to go for you. The difference between a Spyder RT (touring model) and your Honda is night and day. Honestly, if you can try one, do it; the difference will blow your mind. The Spyder is so much more capable than the Honda there really is no comparison.

If you have specific questions, feel free to post them up. You'll get plenty of answers, some good, some not so much, but that's the way of the internet.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

My wife always rode on the back of my bike until she test rode a spyder in the dealer's parking lot. That was 2012. We have since rode to West Virginia (2013) and the Atlantic provinces of Canada (July 2014 3079 miles). She loves her RT. Enjoy whatever spyder you choose.003.jpg There is a great group on facebook called girls on spyders too.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 09-01-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

Welcome to. Spyderlovers!

I started riding 2 years ago on an '08 GS SM5 which I rode 17k miles and recently upgraded to a '14 RT SE6 for touring (5k miles so far). Depending on how many miles you tour there's all sorts of options.

The new powerful 1330 engines on the '14 RT's, along with improved gas mileage per tank, cruising amenities (cruise, electric windshield, storage) and heat management made it the perfect choice for the long distance rides we have planned. The ST 's are a very nice choice if you don't want sometime as big and it will be interesting to see if any new improvements or bigger engines are forthcoming in the '15 models, due out in a few short weeks. The RS's are a blast, very sporty to ride but for me at 5'8", too cramped for touring. But did I mention the RS was fun, LOL. Check out the brand new F3, an RS with a 1330 engine coming out this year.

If there is a motorcycle show or a Spyder event near you, I encourage you to go to them and talk to owners and sit on as many types of Spyders that you can. There is also a Facebook groups called Girls On Spyders, which is for women only and you must ask to join. Lots of great information on GOS and a wonderful way to connect with riders in your area.

Hope you find your Spyder dream ride soon.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if you are looking for a great touring bike the 2014 RT is awesome. I"ve got 24,000 trouble free miles on them and I wouldn't trade it for anything, at least until I see what 2015 has to offer.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you shopping already??
    Outstanding!.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We are a bit biased here but

I like them a lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

pstebbins1108 My wife and I each have a,she has a '14 RTL and I have a'11 RS and we love them! We have never been on 2wheels so can't talk about the difference from 2-3 wheels but would be happy to meet with you as we live in the West Ashley area and you are not far. PM me(tobor9) or Sofia(SDM) maybe we do lunch somewhere.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

I came from a 1978 GL1000 and have never looked back. You need to test ryde them and get a feel for the spyders but you will love them the more you ryde roadsters...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black