Thread: need advice

Spyder Garage

Default need advice

just arrived in gatlinburg tn. Around 4:00 pm for vacation. Trailered the spyder up my droptail trailer. Got the spyder uncovered and untied and got on to crank up and back it off but spyder would not crank?? When I turned the key on it went to the right mode but when I hit the start button it would not make a sound. No lights except the LEDs on the fender. Horn works.no headlights or fog lights. Checked all the fuses and they looked good. Do not want to take it off the trailer because I'm afraid I will never get it back on. Kinda stuck with tomorrow being Laborday. I think there is a Mountain Motor Sports in Kodiak Tn. About 26 miles away. I may haul the spyder over there on Tues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I hate to ask, but is the Kill switch set to off???

Spyder Garage

I will check in the morning. Thanks for the advice

Spyder Garage

Maybe the battery connections are not tight enough for the starting system to function.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Did you remember to press on the brake when you tried to start it?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sounds to me like you have a dead battery. I would try getting my hands on a charger. Walmart will do in a pinch. Battery is not completely dead just low enough to only light the led's etc. probably find battery down to some thing like 12.9 volts not enough power to turn Spyder over.
    Last edited by edmarino; 08-31-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Step on the brake pedal and try to start it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydman View Post
    just arrived in gatlinburg tn. Around 4:00 pm for vacation. Trailered the spyder up my droptail trailer. Got the spyder uncovered and untied and got on to crank up and back it off but spyder would not crank?? When I turned the key on it went to the right mode but when I hit the start button it would not make a sound. No lights except the LEDs on the fender. Horn works.no headlights or fog lights. Checked all the fuses and they looked good. Do not want to take it off the trailer because I'm afraid I will never get it back on. Kinda stuck with tomorrow being Laborday. I think there is a Mountain Motor Sports in Kodiak Tn. About 26 miles away. I may haul the spyder over there on Tues.
    Headlights/ fogs won't come on till bike is running to save battery.

Spyder Garage

Still in gear? Put foot on brake pedal and then crank it.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Default Try this..!!

starting proceedure..ignition on..kill switch off..in neutral..step on the brake if not..hit starter button. Now if battery low you will hear a click but if too low perhaps nothing. Having lights and dash does it's thing I suspect the starting proceedure. If it should be the battery perhaps a service station or auto parts store can test and/or charge you back up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Did you ever figure out why it wouldn't start?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydman View Post
    Yes, Mountain Motorsports in Kodak, TN (not Kodiak) is open on Mondays (don't know about Labor Day). Another option you have is Alcoa Good Times, the Spyder dealer Alcoa, TN (just south of Knoxville). Good Times is further away from you but they are a better dealership than is Mountain Motorsports. Good Times is closed on Mondays but will be open at 9 on Tuesday. In any case I wish you luck.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the advice and info. Checked the kill switch and it was ok. Looked at the fuse box again and a couple of the bigger black fuses (the ones you can't see thru) felt to be somewhat loose. Thought I had checked all of them yesterday but anyway I pushed all fuses in tight and started up. All seems ok but tonight when putting the half cover on the antenna broke off at the base. Oh we'll I wanted a shortie antenna anyway. Seems like this is starting to be the beginning of the vacation from hell but we will try to make the best of it. Thanks again to all for the help. All the folks here on this forum are friendly and very helpful. Friends rock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you figured it out. Those big black fuses that you can't see through are called Relays and they can come loose.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622