Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Highway Pegs for RT

20140830_194703.jpg20140830_194709.jpg20140830_194722.jpg20140830_194742.jpg
    Wanted to make some custom hiway bars for the RT. I pulled the 2 bottom tupperware sections and found 4 factory pre-drilled holes. I set washers and spacers and nutted them up, giving myself about 1" of threads just below the plastic. I then started fabricating each side. I used 5/8" hot rolled bar stock for the horizontal sections on each side. I then took thick wall square stock raised it to the height it needed to be for both sides. I purposely made them 3" too long so that I could cut them at 45 degrees and weld them for the 90 degree turn. I then took some bars I bought from Amazon and secured them into position. I then sat of the bike and found the most comfortable angle that I could find for my feet. The angle actually turned out to match the angle of the plastic mud guards. When I had everything welded up on each side I then used the bar stock to weld the two together. The last step was to put the tupperware back on after I marked and drilled where the bolts stick down. (I used a hole saw with a pilot bit to cut the plastic) After I put the plastic back together, I took the complete bar and slipped it into position and tightened the 4 nuts that hold it together. What I had when I got done was a bar that is right up against the tupperware and is completely out of the way of everything. The bottom portion of the frunk actually rides lower than these. On riding last night I loved how the hiway bars got my feet up in a new position and were very solid, and worked well! The unit weighed in at about 15lbs and seemed to help the stability of the bike (weight closer to the road and centered). I also think that this may help with the auto switch traffic lights.
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 08-31-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    20140830_194703.jpg20140830_194709.jpg20140830_194722.jpg20140830_194742.jpg
    Wantmechanically some custom hiway bars for the RT. I pulled the 2 bottom tupperware sections and found 4 factory pre-drilled holes. I set washers and spacers and nutted them up, giving myself about 1" of threads just below the plastic. I then started fabricating each side. I used 5/8" hot rolled bar stock for the horizontal sections on each side. I then took thick wall square stock raised it to the height it needed to be for both sides. I purposely made them 3" too long so that I could cut them at 45 degrees and weld them or the 90 degree turn. I then took some bars I bought from Amazon and secured them into position. I then sat of the bike and found the most comfortable angle that I could find for my feet. The angle actually turned out to match he plastic mud guards. When I had everything welded up on each side I then used the bar stock to weld the two together. The last step was to put the tupperware back on after I marked and drilled where the bolts stick down. (I used a hole saw with a pilot bit to cut the plastic) After I put the plastic back together, I took the complete bar and slipped it into position and tightened the 4 nuts that hold it together. What I had when I got done was a bar that is right up against the tupperware and is completely out of the way of everything. The bottom portion of the frunk actually rides lower than these. On riding last night I loved how the hiway bars got my feet up in a new position and were very solid, and worked well! The unit weighed in at about 15lbs and seemed to help the stability of the bike (weight closer to the road and centered). I also think that this may help with the auto switch traffic lights.

Looks great!!!!! Wish I was that mechanical inclined!!!!!! Was wondering if there were a way to reposition our feet! Great job!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Almost the same location and angle of my pegs after I modified the install of Lamonster's NBV peg mounts. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-My-mod-for-it

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They look as if they tuck in nicely; yet still give you a place to stretch out a bit!
    (Anything that sticks out from the bike, is just gonna eventually trip me up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I LOVE D.I.Y. er's

......Kudo's and Bravo's ....I did something similar about two months ago......But mine slip inside the plastic WINGS so you can use those as the highway pegs.................Spyderlovers who are attending SPYDERQUEST in NY will be able to see and.........................TOUCH them ................Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Nice DIY effort! Since I did not have the $1000 BRP pads on my '14, I took the easy way out....

IMG_0279.jpg
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default I'll be in NY with a different highway peg set-up

I have a really cheap but really good highway peg set-up on my 2014 RT Ltd and I'll be at Lake George staying at GEL. Look for a white RT Ltd (2014) to try my set-up out. I really like them and you might too. I have pictures of my pegs on some of the other threads on the site.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Besides my time, I have about $60 in these. And the extra steel does trip the traffic lights now!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    And the extra steel does trip the traffic lights now!!
    Your town still uses sensor loops for traffic signals? Even here in sometimes backwards Idaho we have switched mostly to camera activated signals. No steel needed!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)