Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Water based paints are not very good for a few reasons. A Spyder with orange peel in the paint is possible. I looked ours over many months ago, and did not notice any orange peel type defects. However, I also took the entire look as it is painted plastic as opposed to painted metal.

We have the smooth and shiny Pearl White. I am sure it would be possible to block sand the oem finish and apply a higher quality paint by a skilled craftsman in a controlled environment and get a deep luster.

Yes the machine is expensive, profit margin for the oem is likely good.

What would I personally like to do...make molds of all the body panels and underbody panels. Build them from carbon fibre, and have a nice paint scheme with portions of naked carbon cleared when the color coats are cleared. I'd also like to jig the all the suspension arms and build an aluminum swing arm that is trussed and left brushed aluminum. Build the front arms from larger diameter chromoly tubing. A chromoly frame would be nice. Pretty much, give it a diet, not Jenny Craig, more like conditioned like P90. Will I do it. Probably not, but then again, I might get bored...

PK

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Do you have inside information on profit margins or are you making it up like the rest of your comments?

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt07 View Post
    The circling of the wagons!! BRP builds perfection just like Harley's 2007 to 2009 dressers that ran so hot that you had to shut the bike off at red lights. Spyders are perfect, they have no heat problems, no squealing brakes, windshield brackets last sometimes a whole year, belt drive that needs support so that it doesn't ruin the countershaft bearings, no weird oil leaks, and sometimes the tires don't even self destruct, and if you're lucky it won't even catch on fire between your legs. I'm amazed at the perfect engineering, aren't you ? Oh I'm sorry,most of you are perfectly content even if it costs more than a good car that has zero problems. Nothing is perfect but the profit margin here is outrageous.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand the issue of profit margin. BRP doesn't sell Spyders as a charity. Of course it's in it for a profit!! They offer a product at a price and we decide if we want to buy it. If they weren't in it for a profit, they'd be the government, and I wouldn't want one!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Bahahahahahha

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Hi all.
    I’ve been driving Sears Allstate bikes all my life but recently I have been thinking about buying a Can Am Spyder. I am used to the superior performance of the the Steyer-Puch Twingle Powerplant and have gotten used to purchasing only one spark plug for my two cylinder bike.

I was all set to spring for the the second spark plug but my friend Eustice has told me that the new BRP powereplant is a THREE CYLINDER one that requires THREE SPARKPLUGS.

My question to all of you is how do you cope with purchasing the second and third spark plug?

I really like the BRP Spyder Concept but I can’t understand how you all can cope with all those spark plugs.
    I don't Roger....I don't even use the engine...realllllly saves on gas....I just push it down the street.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Orange Peel? Not on Mine!

Yes, I know what orange peel is and have yet to see any on a Spyder, including mine. Perhaps a bad one made it through production. Did the OP look at any others in the show room for comparison?

My 2012 candy red/silver Goldwing had that beautiful looking paint that would show a scratch if you looked at it the wrong way. Yes it annoyed me but I didn't dump all over the Wing because of that. Compared to the paint on the Wing, the Spyder paint job is fantastic.

Is the Spyder perfect? No and I haven't found much that is.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

I removed my "don't feed the troll" part of the question early on to be nice. But now the discussion has went from bad paint, to mechanical defects, to profit margin gouging.

RE: the comparisons between HD and Spyder concerning paint. I have had 5 's. None have had defective paint. None have had major mechanical issues. I did not feel screwed when I bought the units. I have over 100,000 miles with the brand. I still recommend them to others.

I have owned over 40 other motorcycles in addition to the above. None of above were HD's. I tested HD's and did not like them period. Tri Glide--for me--was a bulky, noisy, overpriced unit. I bought an RT instead. Got twice the technology, peace of mind, and even got it for about $6K less than the HD.

You will find that when you come aboard and ask questions--most people will be courteous. When you start running down the brand, and act like a troll, then the playing field will sometimes change.

If the paint job is holding you back, your a good person for sticking by your beliefs. I sure can't fault you there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i'll bet if we go away, this thread will end!(except for the hijack comments)