Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry orange peel paint

Have been riding Harleys over 40 years. Old carpenter= knees hurt too bad to hold them up anymore. Go to local BRP to test ride an RT. I can switch I think, but the can am looks like it was painted with an old spray can. Horrible orange peel finish ! That's what you get for $30499. The paint and pin stripping on my Harleys is perfect. Makes me wonder, if that's what shows, what about what you can't see...... still on fence.....

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

There is always the Tri Glide. It just might be perfect for you. Or maybe you should wait for the new Harley Free Wheeler.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default orange peel

I really liked riding the Spyder, that's the catch. The Tri-glide is underpowered and feels clumsy, but the fit and finish are tops.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt07 View Post
    Horrible orange peel finish !
    You mean the new style matte finish paint? You may not like it, and I may not like it, but that doesn't make it horrible. Like me, maybe you just missed becoming aware of what's new in vehicle finishes, while it was still new!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

they do have other colors...I am not fond of any of the matte finishes but there must be enough who are..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

We won't mention the TriGlide's parking brake... or that it's an old school trike that costs $6K more that the top end Spyder??? No one can argue the fit and finish, paint quality, or heavy chrome on any of the Harleys. My V-rods were all exceptionally well engineered.

However, my new 2014 RT is a really nice pearlescent white - smooth & shiny.. Oh, that's right - I didn't spend the extra $8K for the stuff I didn't want, like the matt finish.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I would agree that Harley has excellent paint and finish. But at the same time, while I am riding, I am looking down the road, not at the paint. In my book, the Spyder is the best three wheel vehicle around.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default orange peel

You are all kidding me, right ? I'm not talking about the matte finish, Harley was using that in the mid 2000's. No one here knows what orange peel is ? When a light is shining down on the paint, ( florescent light in showroom, prime ex. ) the light should appear very distinct and clear in it's reflection. If it is not, and it appears wavy or mottled that is orange peel, as if you rolled an orange over the wet clear coat. Simply a matter of quality workmanship. I could not see any clear type of reflection in any of the colors. Slow skilled hand buffing can alleviate much of this, but I would expect much better paint work at this price level.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

with your knowledge of fine painting I don't think your going to find it on a stock brp product...they get shinny but if they got that perfect you would pay.. A lot. May have to do the buffing yourself or go for one of those killer paint jobs. But as for ryding..your not going to beat these rydes..jmo..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Never had a problem with finish appearance on any of the five 's I have owned.

Sounds like your a HD person. Nothing wrong with that. 45 plus motorcycles and counting here.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-31-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you should examine several Spyders, maybe at other dealers. I haven't noticed the effect you're talking about, but it could be the one you are considering was not finished right.

I hope you find one you like. Good luck.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I really liked riding the Spyder, that's the catch. The Tri-glide is underpowered and feels clumsy, but the fit and finish are tops.
    so what is most important? surface looks or performance?
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default orange peel

Sears optical has a Labor Day special . Sorry I brought this up. If this level of paint finish is all you dreamed of, that's all BRP will give you. Remember they do monitor this site.

Spyder Garage

I do know what you mean by Orange Peel finish, I have seen quite a few Spyders over the years, and don't recall ever seeing
    this on a factory finish, so it may just be a one-off etc...
    What I don't understand is what you expect to achieve by making comments like that here. No one here can fix it, and yes BRP do come on here, not sure they would read everything.
    Did you mention to the Dealer about the quality of finish on the Spyder?
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Default FWIW

You are all kidding me, right ? I'm not talking about the matte finish, Harley was using that in the mid 2000's. No one here knows what orange peel is ? When a light is shining down on the paint, ( florescent light in showroom, prime ex. ) the light should appear very distinct and clear in it's reflection. If it is not, and it appears wavy or mottled that is orange peel, as if you rolled an orange over the wet clear coat. Simply a matter of quality workmanship. I could not see any clear type of reflection in any of the colors. Slow skilled hand buffing can alleviate much of this, but I would expect much better paint work at this price level.
    your description of "orange peel" is not precisely correct. However that not withstanding, what color(s) did you look at? And IF fit and finish is your main concern, why not just buy a H-D trike conversion. And if performance means more to you, how about just sucking it up and buy a 3-wheeled performance machine? Perhaps the GG Taurus would provide both?
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

There's always the slingshot... no paint, just colored plastic bits...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default paint

Having been a painter for 40 plus yrs i tend to be real critical when it comes to paint finishes i have a 2014 rts no orange peel on any of the machines that i looked at all finishes were like glass as they should be only thing i think is someone tried to refinish an did not know what they were doing i would try several different dealers i know exactly what u are talking about if done correctly and color sanded and buffed rite should be no orange peel and coming from factory with orange peel is highly unlikely.

Spyder Garage

Fit and finish is something that HD excels at. That aside, I did not see the 'orange peel' effect on any of the Spyders that I looked at before eventually buying the 2014 RT, nor does the one that I bought have it. I am new to Spyders and this forum, but in reading through many of the past and present threads it's my observation that the folks who comment here are pretty objective when it comes to talking about the Spyder's pros and cons. Accordingly, I don't think that the fit and finish of the Spyder RTs is a problem.

Spyder Garage

Sears optical has a Labor Day special . Sorry I brought this up. If this level of paint finish is all you dreamed of, that's all BRP will give you. Remember they do monitor this site.
    No "orange peel" on mine. Maybe you should look else where.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default orange peel

The circling of the wagons!! BRP builds perfection just like Harley's 2007 to 2009 dressers that ran so hot that you had to shut the bike off at red lights. Spyders are perfect, they have no heat problems, no squealing brakes, windshield brackets last sometimes a whole year, belt drive that needs support so that it doesn't ruin the countershaft bearings, no weird oil leaks, and sometimes the tires don't even self destruct, and if you're lucky it won't even catch on fire between your legs. I'm amazed at the perfect engineering, aren't you ? Oh I'm sorry,most of you are perfectly content even if it costs more than a good car that has zero problems. Nothing is perfect but the profit margin here is outrageous.

Spyder Garage

Well folks.
    We all know there are trolls lurking on the forums. We all know the fit and finish on our Spyders is at least very good.
    We have some person that comes on here, says he is a Harley person, and critiques the Spyder, and doesn't even know what "orange peel" is.
    Hmm, I think it just a ploy from someone who has never even owned a motorcycle, and doesn't understand finishes, and is not really interested in buying a Spyder at all, just to get a reaction from we who know better. I think his strategy is working.
    I also have owned a multitude of motorcycles and sports cars, including Harley Davidson. The Spyder is no better or worse in fit and finish than any others.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I think it is a real tribute to the people on this forum that they genuinely try to understand and answer questions no matter how insincere and self serving they are.
    Sarcasm noted
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The circling of the wagons!! BRP builds perfection just like Harley's 2007 to 2009 dressers that ran so hot that you had to shut the bike off at red lights. Spyders are perfect, they have no heat problems, no squealing brakes, windshield brackets last sometimes a whole year, belt drive that needs support so that it doesn't ruin the countershaft bearings, no weird oil leaks, and sometimes the tires don't even self destruct, and if you're lucky it won't even catch on fire between your legs. I'm amazed at the perfect engineering, aren't you ? Oh I'm sorry,most of you are perfectly content even if it costs more than a good car that has zero problems. Nothing is perfect but the profit margin here is outrageous.
    You are doing the same thing some engineers I worked with years ago did. Looked at one data point and determined the entire population was completely described by that one data point. I'm sure you've read about many of the problems some Spyders have had. They are not perfect. It's just that on this one issue those of us who've taken a close look at the paint on our Spyders simply disagree with you. You can accept that, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, I am new here, and I am here ONLY because my wife is trying to make up her mind about either a trike or a new spyder. I appreciate comments like this because it gives me another point to look at. I have been riding wings and hd's for years. My current steed is an 06 wing. The new wings paint jobs are total crap, and a sales guy told me they have to be careful wiping dust off of them or they will scratch. Most are blaming it on the water based paints now mandated by the epa. My new honda car has paint so thin that it is almost non existent. More of a "tint"...lol. My partner in biz and I also build hot rods, and he paints them in our negative pressure booth. His work has spoiled me for ANY commercial paint jobs. We have done some bikes too. ANyway, something to watch for, and I'm sure not all are the same. It IS a shame that you spend $30k on a machine and they can't get the paint or fit and finish correct, regardless of the brand name.....thanks for the info.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default orange peel

Finally, some intelligent responses. Thanks for reminding me (all of us) about the water based paints.