Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The dealer in question, is trying to "cover his butt"...
    Face it; it is against the law, and he'd just as soon NOT have an illegally modified bike in his shop...
    Particularly when the consequence could end up shutting him down, or bankrupting him.
    It's understandable, and doesn't make him a "Dick"
    (Unless his first name is "Richard" )
    BS....The fact that someone modified their machine on their own time, at their own location, and at their own expense has nothing to do with the dealer and should not void a warranty unless the mod itself does the damage. Again, that dealer is a non-Richard DICK!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think of it this way Bob, what if the dealer told you that they would void your warranty or refuse to work on your old RT because you put ridiculous orange chicken wing stickers on it.....???...[emoji12]

Spyder Garage

Default orange chicken wing stickers?

it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Went ahead and put on new purge valve and fuel filter yesterday and got to ride a little today. Didn't pop or miss any, but it was relatively cool today (87). Maybe it solved my problem.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully it will solve the problem. It seems to be the most logical solution given your problems. Will be interested to see how it turns out.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With all due respect and food for thought for those interested regarding cat-bypass modifications; here is a link to the Federal Law:http://www.epa.gov/air/caa/title2.html

The Federal Law takes precedence over any state law regarding vehicle components related to Federal EPA standards of the Clean Air Act.

Some may even find it interesting to note there is not a reference to "off-road-use" being an exemption to the law. While some products are sold under this guise, it does not protect the end-user from violating the law.

You will find the law very restrictive with regard to any modification of any kind to any vehicle component by anyone -- ever.

Reading the sections of "Actions to Restrain..." and "Civil Penalties"; you will see the law's legal reach is quite deep, restricting virtually anyone from making modifications.

While I agree with most; enforcing the Act has not made headline news, and I have never known there to be an "enforcement task force" running around the country arresting people; I would pause and be sure to read the law so you have an understanding of it before moving forward on any modification related to components required to exist by Federal Law.

Here are a couple sections of the law...
    42 U.S. Code § 7522 - Prohibited acts (3):
    (3)
    (A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or

(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use.

Everyone should note; the fines for mechanics, car dealers, marketers of by-pass products and such are the highest.

Their fine is up to $25,000 per part, not per incident. In other words, two parts replaced could fetch a fine of $50,000. Where the fine for individuals is far less.

Again, I do not know of anyone who has been arrested and charged yet, so I am not losing sleep over it yet; but you can bet someday there are going to be some people the government are going to make examples of. It has happened in the last couple years to Vance & Hines for their avoidance of the laws.
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 09-17-2014 at 06:16 AM.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tommyoneleg View Post
    Removing the canister is Not against the Law in the majority of states. The canister is not required by law in the majority of states. The can-am spyder is considered a motorcycle in the majority of states and is covered under that.
    It's not a state law it's a Federal Law and the fine is a max of $10,000 and/or 10 years in jail. It's the EPA Law and they don't like people tampering with pollution devices.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess there are going to be a LOT fewer of us on the road once they decide to start locking us all up!.....[emoji23]

Spyder Garage

Removing the canister is Not against the Law in the majority of states. The canister is not required by law in the majority of states. The can-am spyder is considered a motorcycle in the majority of states and is covered under that.
    Rode 700 miles this weekend after replacing purge valve and fuel filter. All popping was gone. Bike ran great!
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just read the law and sorry but I did not take out of the law the same as you did for motorcycles and the section on fines does not read as you state it does. Funny I just bought a brand new ZX10R and it as none of this on it, not one thing. I guess Kawasaki is going to jail, some of you on this site need to lighten up a little. Motorcycle are meant to be something that one can work on ourselves modify and do what ever with. Make them our own, some like to go fast, some like to travel but for most there is the little rebel thing going on. When I had my spyder inspected in Sept (ny is every year) I ask them about it and they just laughed. Lighten up and enjoy the bike and modify it until it is your own and if it was a super-bike I would scrap your foot peg on every corner (sorry is that against the law also) lol

Spyder Garage

...Funny I just bought a brand new ZX10R and it as none of this on it, not one thing. I guess Kawasaki is going to jail...
    I went through factory training for HD, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. All modern street bikes do conform with federal law on emissions. The specs on the 2013 ZX10R even has these two bullets:

• Titanium-header exhaust system with hydroformed header pipes and small, lightweight muffler assembly uses a pre-chamber that houses two catalyzers for emissions and sound
    • Dual catalyzers help the ZX-10R meet strict U.S. and Euro III exhaust emissions standards

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture