Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Five, in the beginning...

I just happened across this awesome article...

BRP Unveils the Spyder Five
    Courtesy of BRP
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Can-Am officially unveiled the Spyder Five: five riders of differing backgrounds who will crisscross North America on the Can-Am Spyder roadster, blog and produce mini documentaries of their trips on the SpyderRyder.com community blog and Can-Am roadster Facebook page at facebook.com/canamspyder.

“The Spyder Five are a perfect fit for the tight-knit, yet diverse Can-Am Spyder roadster riding community and a great way to showcase the appeal and capabilities of the vehicle,” said Bernard Guy, vice-president, Sales and Marketing, Can-Am. “Each of the five brings a different perspective to the product, which is ideal as the roadster appeals to a wide-ranging group of riding enthusiasts. Our goal is to create an environment that will invite consumers to experience the thrill of open-air riding; the Spyder Five will help us achieve this goal."

With its unique Y-architecture – two wheels in front, one in back – the Can-Am Spyder roadster is a totally distinctive way to experience the freedom of open-air riding. The stability of the three-wheel design and an automotive-derived, BOSCH-engineered vehicle stability system enables the rider to have an exhilarating experience with unmatched peace-of-mind – be they novice rider or powersports veteran.

The Spyder Five are (from left): Daniel Bastien, Mickey Fisher, Fred Rau, Faran Hearyman and Lamont Bryden. The Spyder Five are:

Daniel Bastien – Ste-Anne-des-Plaines, Québec – Daniel Bastien (a.k.a. Spyder Dan) is the living embodiment of the Can-Am Spyder roadster. He is an adrenaline-fuelled, Québec native with a passion for anything you can sit on with an engine. Dan began his turbo-charged powersports career as a snowmobiler, but he now runs SpyderTeam.com, the premier French language social media forum for Can-Am roadster owners and fans.

Lamont Bryden – Mosheim, Tennessee – Think the Can-Am roadster can’t be modified? Think again. Lamont Bryden (a.k.a. Lamonster) has never met a motorcycle he didn’t want to take apart, customize or otherwise modify. Lamont owns the first pre-production Spyder RT model ever made, and he runs the largest, independent social media forum for Spyder enthusiasts, SpyderLovers.com.

Mickey Fisher – Ironton, Ohio – A stage actor, film director, foodie and travel buff, Mickey Fisher joined the Spyder Five after winning the 2011 Search for the Next Can-Am Spyder Ambassadors. In addition to making his own self-produced travel show for the Spyder Five blog, Mickey plans to make a short action film starring the Can-Am Spyder roadster.

Faran Hearyman – Judsonia, Arkansas – Faran Hearyman somehow manages to do it all. She is the vivacious mother of two girls, a successful career woman and a lifelong adrenaline junkie. Not content merely to ride on the back of someone else’s bike, Faran has been looking for the perfect ride to fuel her passion for the open road. Can-Am helped her fulfill her dream after she won the 2011 Search for the Next Can-Am Spyder Ambassadors.

Fred Rau – Hemet, California – Fred Rau is not just a legendary motorcycle journalist and tour leader; he is a force of nature. Fred has owned more than 350 motorcycles and has logged 1.4 million miles in the saddle. In between rides, he has edited five motorcycle magazines and has contributed to publications including Forbes and Robb Report. Fred is also the author of the new book, The Motorcycle Touring Bible. By his own admission, Fred was initially skeptical of
    the three-wheeled Can-Am Spyder roadster, but now he is the machine’s leading advocate. Fred currently publishes the online motorcycle magazine FredRauMotorcycling.com.

Hope it was ok to reprint it here...

I Thank all of you, for everything you have done, for all the rest of us Spyder wise.

Chas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChasCS; 08-30-2014 at 03:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATES

WILL WE BE GETTING DAILY or WEEKLY UPDATES AS THEY GO....?
    PIX ARE ALWAYS NICE TOO...
    I ONLY WISH I COULD RIDE WITH THEM... OR MAYBE WE CAN... CAN OTHERS JOIN IN FOR SHORT SPRINTS WITH THEM AS THEY CROSS THE COUNTRY....?
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    WILL WE BE GETTING DAILY or WEEKLY UPDATES AS THEY GO....?
    PIX ARE ALWAYS NICE TOO...
    I ONLY WISH I COULD RIDE WITH THEM... OR MAYBE WE CAN... CAN OTHERS JOIN IN FOR SHORT SPRINTS WITH THEM AS THEY CROSS THE COUNTRY....?
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R
    Courtesy of BRP
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ancient history they no longer exist as a group. Faran still hangs here and you know Lamont. Mickey is in Hollywood (Extant), Fred does his thing but don't know about Dan.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Alas, the Spyder Five is no more. BRP ended my and Mickey's contracts in December 2012. They took their marketing efforts more towards the celebrity endorsement, as you have seen the last few years. It was an amazing gig while it lasted and changed my life in many ways. So grateful for the opportunity!

Spyder Garage

Default Memories..!!

great group..they should have kept them together...they did a lot for the spyder...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Faran, Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Courtesy of BRP
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ancient history they no longer exist as a group. Faran still hangs here and you know Lamont. Mickey is in Hollywood (Extant), Fred does his thing but don't know about Dan.
    SpyderDan still runs a forum here in Quebec and is still a BRP ambassador. Yes it was a shame they didn't keep all five!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    Alas, the Spyder Five is no more. BRP ended my and Mickey's contracts in December 2012. They took their marketing efforts more towards the celebrity endorsement, as you have seen the last few years. It was an amazing gig while it lasted and changed my life in many ways. So grateful for the opportunity!
    Not that my opinion is worth much to them but I still think they made a serious wrong turn when they moved away from "real" committed people to fake celebrity endorsements
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even though I DO like Drew Brees' commercial...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I must be in the minority because my purchase of the spyder was not based on who drove/rode one. It was based solely on looks/uniqueness; I had seen one on CSI Miami for a few seconds and became interested.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Same as me, no celebrity endorsements necessary

Being from Canada, we were the very first to see the television commercials, just as the jaw dropping Spyder was born. It was unique, intriguing and seemed very safe, as the descriptive story with its incredible safety features was unfolding, right in front of our very eyes.
    Then as they began to drift westward, through the prairies leaning towards the left coast, the visual impact was immense. Good gosh, did I just see an actual living Spyder, in the flesh, so to speak. Goodness me, it was like Kapowpowpow!
    The feelings hit me like flesh eating hot bullets, right through the head and heart. I had actually just fallen in Love, with an inanimate object (unless you're ryding her), and didn't even realize it, until much later in the big game.

Many years had already passed us by, but my heart still had the deep longing she inspired.
    Luckily We met again.
    Now she is finally my much loved baby...

Thanks again you Five, for spreading the good word. And look where we all are today, because much in part, of your positive participation, and to your verbal articulation. ;-)
    They couldn't have picked a finer representative group, of caring knowledgable individuals for a great and worthy Spyder cause.
    Pat each of yourselves firmly on the back, you deserve much more praise than mere words can iterate alone.

Chas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I must be in the minority because my purchase of the spyder was not based on who drove/rode one. It was based solely on looks/uniqueness; I had seen one on CSI Miami for a few seconds and became interested.
    When I purchased mine in 2008 There was no Spyder 5. I bought mine because I wanted one.

The CSI Miami "commercial" was an interesting product placement set up. It was hyped on here and lot of us faithfully watched the episode. It was kind of funny to hear Horatio read off the statistics about the Spyder. A very quick come and go as far as seeing the actual Spyder.

When it was all over, I kind of felt like Ralphy in the Christmas Story movie where he opened his Orphan Annie decoder, retired to the bathroom, decoded the message and exclaimed--" it's a _____ commercial."
    We knew that was coming though.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-30-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

With all the above, but I think the Spyder 5 was much more representative of our Spyder riding community! I found out about the Spyder 5 while researching Spyders in general. Though they did not influence my decision, I think having the 5 of them was smart marketing!
    Last edited by Netminder; 08-30-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know Fred Rau ( rode with him at Americade in June ) and as of then, he was still associated with BRP somehow. He didn't influence me to buy a Spyder, but he was a big influence on which model I bought. Nice guy.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the input

It was enjoyable to read your thoughts and shared feelings.

I hope BRP has continued success and keep moving forward in the design and builds, years into the future.
    Nearly every year, something new arrives. I can't wait to see what the next big change will be.

Chas