Thread: Cost.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cost.

Hi all... looking to get a 2008-2013 gs or rs..... more of a sporty look and being 21 i prefer the sporty look.. but wondering about cost of ownership. Is it going to run me thousands of bucks every year in maintenance. Anyone know how much it cost to get the engine or trans rebuilt. Never owned a spyder and not to sure what to expect as far as maintenance and longevity.... would buying a 2009 gs se5 10k miles for $10,500 be a good deal. Don't want to take out a 3 year loan and have it fail before the loan is paid.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The motors and transmissions are pretty bullet proof. If anything the weak points on these machines are the electrical gremlins that some have. The more electrical components the more prone they are. The GS/RS SM5 machines are probably the most reliable in the lineup as they have less gadgets. However, there are a lot of happy high mileage RT riders too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ongoing maintenance is really no different than any other bike.

Spyder Garage

Are you capable of doing maintenance yourself?

If you ride a lot and half to take it to the dealer for maintenance could get a little pricey . Doing basic maintenance is pretty simple on them.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replying..... I'm sure with some videos I can do some things myself I built a 53 belair myself so I can probably to some non electrical work..... I can afford regular maintenance like what would be on a car I however don't want to have a $1000 bill every few months from things needing to be done. Also been reading a lot about electrical updates how do I tell if the person has updated it when buying used also if they havent updated it should I pass on it or can I take it somewhere and do it myself. I guess I'm really lost on the electrical aspects of the beast.... going from a Harley night train to a spyder little bit of a difference lol.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

CowtownUSA in Cuba, MO has my old 2011RSS SM5. It is a great machine. Only 4669 mi. I traded for an RT.
    It would be a great deal if you want one. Just had 3000mi service. Perfect bike.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Look for a used one that has an extended warranty. They come with 2 year factory and you can get up to 3 years extended through BRP. It is transferable at no charge to you. You can purchase the extended warranty as long as the original warranty is still in effect. Good luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you've done the work like you've mentioned on cars, you will have no issues with the maintenance on the spyder...haha.

If you've found one your interested in do the same as with any other machine. Look it over, talk to the owner about service history and take it for a ride.
    Sounds like you've been around the block with other machines, so you know that its pretty easy to spot the owner/seller that has either abused or not maintained their machine and trying to feed you BS.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Okay awsome. Thanks for the info... going to take the plunge and get me a spyder.

Spyder Garage

Hi 007,

Re: electrical updates how do I tell if the person has updated it

Get the VIN & run it past a dealer or BRP ( what I did ).

In March of this year I bought a 2008 GS SE5 with only 4,000 miles in it. Cost me $10,000 with shipping from Southern California to Oregon,

Keep looking, good buys are out there.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Research

Having always wanted a Spyder since they were introduced, I did a bunch of reseach. As mentioned, running the VIN is an important step. I also purchased it used, from a dealer. Mine had 1955 miles, and I spent $9,000. Came with a Hindle exhaust, higher windscreen and backrest. Just keep your eyes open. You will find one. And if you can attend a safety course, refresher, that'sa good idea as well.
    I had not ridden in quite a few years. Some offer courses where you can ride a Spyder. And for some of us, the Spyder is the only option due to age, or in my case, injury.
    Be safe, ATGATT.
    Keep us posted. Lots of helpful members on th his forum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by diesel007 View Post
    Okay awsome. Thanks for the info... going to take the plunge and get me a spyder.

Happy Hunting for the perfect match!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am having a hard time trusting other people with my mistress, so I am learning as I go. There are plenty of people with plenty of knowledge on this site that will be glad to help you if all does not go as planned. As far as the motor, it had been in use for several years in aprillia motorcycles before the spyder was released. It is a good mill and as long as you maintain it, you should have a long happy relationship with your new ride. Congrats on choosing the best looking, and handling, model spyder there is. Rubber down, shiny side up.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

I bought a new 2013 RS and have really enjoyed it. I haven't any real issues other than the fuel fume smell and a little heat issue (same issue most other riders have had). A Spyder with 10,000 miles for $9,000 seems to be the going rate. As for maintenance, I just changed my oil for the first time and it was pretty easy. It cost me about $60 and a little personal time. The dealer wants in the ballpark of $150 to do the same job. So as others have said if you can handle small maintenance items cost of ownership is little to none.

Spyder Garage

Enjoy the hunt. There are quite a few good machines out there. As others have mentioned, if you can do the work yourself, you will save a lot.

Most encounter $300 oil change services.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wurtsboro, NY: O'Toole's Harley Davidson has a 2009 red RS with a touring windshield, BP bags, passenger backrest and a trailer hitch...
    It's got 42,000 miles on it, but they're asking only $9500...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There is a 2010 in Tulsa with 1,800 miles for 11.5k., i was going to buy it but settled for a 2011 with 8k miles and a corvin seat, risers and a few other upgrades for the same money,

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cost.....

Hi Dave here,
    I was also looking for a more sporty scooter rather than the big road machine,
    I figured the unit has the same drive train and much less stuff hanging on it that means
    less weight and that should mean better performance and handling and better milage.
    Well the first 2 are correct it is faster and handles I feel better but the fuel milage sucks
    for something this light it should get much much better gas milage but it does not, my cars
    get better milage than my 2008 GS SE5.... all that being said I think the GS and RS early models are a good way to go they seem to have much less troubles than the later ones
    mine has been a joy to have and ride service wise I feel they are more costly to maintain than my other motorcycles are for several reasons, 1 cost of parts and labor charger at the dealers
    seem higher than at say the Honda, and other brand dealers. here the rate per hour at the
    Spyder dealers runs at $125.00 per hour and most all other motorcycle shops are at $85.00
    per. hour. Oil changes and such are the same in milage as other brands so it's just more because of the shop labor rate.
    You must remember this is a toy just like a boat or some other toy so the cost is just the way it is if you want to play you must pay.
    Your chances of ever needing your engine rebuilt are slim same with the trans. if you maintain
    the spyder like your car it will last for many years and give you your moneys worth of fun....
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by diesel007 View Post
    Hi all... looking to get a 2008-2013 gs or rs..... more of a sporty look and being 21 i prefer the sporty look.. but wondering about cost of ownership. Is it going to run me thousands of bucks every year in maintenance. Anyone know how much it cost to get the engine or trans rebuilt. Never owned a spyder and not to sure what to expect as far as maintenance and longevity.... would buying a 2009 gs se5 10k miles for $10,500 be a good deal. Don't want to take out a 3 year loan and have it fail before the loan is paid.
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 08-31-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default very little cost

i bought my gs in may of 11. other than several oil changes, that i've done myself, that's been about it. no real issues. having a manual clutch helps alot, less things to wear out.
    Last edited by coz; 08-31-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

They're only "toys" to some folks... others of us use them as real vehicles, driving them to and from work and to the post office and the grocery store etc. It's surprising just how many groceries I can fit in the frunk.

So your "toy" is my ~35mpg vehicle.

Yes, 32 to 36 is the mpg range I get most every fill-up. MUCH better than my truck which only gets some 12mpg so my Spyder makes me happy!

Regards.

- Michael

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replying.... looking forward to getting a spider but still hesitant on the gona be in debt part.

Spyder Garage

You don't say much about how much you'll be riding. I have a 2012 RSS Se5. (Bought new) Currently I have just over 33K smiles!! I had replaced the original rear at 9K miles, then switched to a Kumho tire. Replaced the rear tire again at 25.5k miles. I replaced the front tires at the same time I did the rear. I could have easily gone another 5K miles on the front tires, but I did not want to interrupt my riding schedule because this is my primary vehicle with my truck as my back up. I've done 11 oil changes (all full synthetic oil), complete coolant flush, complete brake fluid flush, 2 air filters, on my third set of plugs, changed plug wires to baha Ron's, 2 fuel filters, replaced 2 headlights, replaced all rear bearings at 25.5K, original exhaust crapped out at 19K (replaced with a Hindle) and my only electrical problem encountered was a faulty ignition coil.

Bottom line for me has been just over $900.00 a season while riding 12-14K a season. That's me doing almost everything but tires, laser alignment, coolant and brake flush. Compared to my truck, it's only about $400.00 a year cheaper than my truck. I put 20-25K miles on my truck each year, but if you compare them mileage to mileage (not including gas) the truck is cheaper!! I try and tell myself it's not a toy, I just think of it as my 100+ mile a day wind therapy session, which is definitely cheaper than any shrink!!! It's all in what perspective that your looking at it