Spyder Garage

Default Winterizing the Spyder?

I asked my dealer what they do for Winterizing.
    They said:
    Change the oil and oil filter
    Fill and top off the gas tank and add fuel stabilizer
    Pull the airbox top off and "Fog the engine" meaning they spray some oil based additive to the inside of the air intake, etc to coat the sides to prevent moisture from rusting the insides.

I may just do this myself, since starting the engine undoes any of their work.
    Thoughts? feedback?
    Last edited by Sopher; 10-02-2008 at 08:05 PM.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    They said:
    Pull the airbox top off and "Fog the engine" meaning they spray some oil based additive to the inside of the air intake, etc to coat the sides to prevent moisture from rusting the insides.

Thoughts? feedback?
    That's pretty much the basic system I use with my vintage bikes. You can buy "fogging oil" readily these days. Used to have to go to a marine dealer. I spray it through the spark plug holes, into a hot engine. I also either remove wet batteries and take them inside, for periodic charging, or put the sealed variety on the Battery Tender or equivalent. Also pump the tires up to max rated pressure, or bolck the wheels off the ground.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

winters has been pretty good in new york9long island)not much snow for the past couple of years, Im gonna ride it out at least once a week, so no winterizing for me.

Spyder Garage

Thoughts? feedback?
    Send it to live with me in Florida for the winter and you'll have no worries.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you let it sit for a long period on concrete during the winter, some advise putting old carpet pieces, cardboard or other barrier under the tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    If you let it sit for a long period on concrete during the winter, some advise putting old carpet pieces, cardboard or other barrier under the tires.
    Never thought of doing that. Not a bad idea! Easy with a Spyder, but harder on a bike with a centerstand, at least a low clearance one. Thanks for the suggestion.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Pensacola Florida & Baja Alabama (Robertsdale)
    Spyder Garage

Default Try this method.

Pull the airbox top off and "Fog the engine" meaning they spray some oil based additive to the inside of the air intake, etc to coat the sides to prevent moisture from rusting the insides. Thoughts? feedback?

I am sorry to have to tell you this but it takes a lot more work than that. Every day you have to raise the garage door, start the Spyder, back it out, flip down your face shield, and ride till lunch. After lunch repeat the process until supper time. You must do this every day, check the oil, fill the tank as needed, and do all other routine maintainence as required. Wash it sometimes.

Oh! Your are not in Florida? I am sorry, guess you will have to do it your way!

Enjoy the snowmobile!

Spyder Garage

Talking

AHHH Florida winter, the very best riding weather in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got to LOVE it here......................

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    I use plywood for under the tires. And with motorcycles after 51 years of riding I found that letting most of the air out if the tires I get less to no weather cracks or tire rot. Iv'e had tires stored for years and they were just fine, but leave the air in and weather cracks show up. Just my 2 cents.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydeebike View Post
    winters has been pretty good in new york9long island)not much snow for the past couple of years, Im gonna ride it out at least once a week, so no winterizing for me.
    I HEAR THAT
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

[quote=shunkmanitu;53614]
    I am sorry to have to tell you this but it takes a lot more work than that. Every day you have to raise the garage door, start the Spyder, back it out, flip down your face shield, and ride till lunch. After lunch repeat the process until supper time. You must do this every day, check the oil, fill the tank as needed, and do all other routine maintainence as required. Wash it sometimes.

Oh! Your are not in Florida? I am sorry, guess you will have to do it your way!

I WILL DRIVE UNTIL THEY HAVE TO PEEL THE RUBBER OFF MY DEAD FROZEN HANDS ....GOD I NEED COFFEE ....
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some people also block the wheels so they do not touch the floor. Side benefit - Spyder is setup for winter mods, detailing, etc.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Default Florida

Quote Originally Posted by spydsense View Post
    AHHH Florida winter, the very best riding weather in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got to LOVE it here......................

Florida is "mostly" for the weak and out riders. We the northerners and easterners are never afraid of snow, we eat them for breakfast, ride on them and the use them for a cuppa. The call us the truly hardcore.
    [/quote]
    Problem with Capitalism is you use up other peoples money, than cry for more handouts.
    ME

Spyder Garage

Come to FL and we'll show you weak try ryding at 105 degrees and 100% humidity in full gear. Each area of the country has its problems. All we were doing was inviting you down so you don't have to winterize. Not a competition just ryding for fun.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baldev View Post
    Florida is "mostly" for the weak and out riders. We the northerners and easterners are never afraid of snow, we eat them for breakfast, ride on them and the use them for a cuppa. The call us the truly hardcore.
    [/quote]

Can't tell you how many Northern threads I've read on other cycle forums where they're either complaining about the cold or complaining about the heat. Nope I don't know too many "weak" riders in Florida, common down in July or August and we'll see how long ya last in the heat.

Spyder Garage

be nice fellow spyderowners

Spyder Garage

Scotty you use that foggin oil...hum didn't thing I had to do that. Just take the spark plugs off and spray in there and probably the air box...how much of it? thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
    Scotty you use that foggin oil...hum didn't thing I had to do that. Just take the spark plugs off and spray in there and probably the air box...how much of it? thanks
    I just spray a nice healthy squirt or two in each spark plug hole. A couple of seconds each squirt. On a hot engine, you will see some vapors come out of the hole. This is not like a two-stroke outboard motor, where the fogging oil lubricates the bearings and everything, to keep them from corroding during storage. My main purpose is just to prevent the rings from seizing if a valve is open. I sometimes also squirt a couple of shots into the hot mufflers on my vintage bikes. Probably useless, but it makes me feel like I tried.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

thanks Scotty...appreciate your expertise in storing this stuff..want to make sure I do everything right!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baldev View Post
    [/QUOTE]

sorry to say....spyders don't like snow ....it snowed her the second day i had my spyder and i had to put down astro turf to get out of driveway
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

sorry to say....spyders don't like snow ....it snowed her the second day i had my spyder and i had to put down astro turf to get out of driveway
    My Beemer doesn't like snow, either, and astro turf is not going to help. At least the Spyder will stay upright. Much warmer to just sit there in one place making "Vroom-Vroom" noises like when you were a kid, anyway.
    -Scotty
    Last edited by NancysToy; 10-05-2008 at 11:34 AM.