Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry Someone tried to steal my 2014 Can Am Spyder RTS

I parked my 2014 Can Am Spyder RTS at Home Depot parking lot for about 20 mins. When I came out of the store and inserted the key into the ignition I felt some obstruction and the key would barely go in a quarter of an inch. I wiggled the key a bit to no avail. I pushed the engine start button and my spyder started right up. Note: key wasn't in ignition.
    Had someone inserted something into my key ignition switch in order to steal my spyder?
    I guess tomorrow will tell when I take it into the dealership. OG Common

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

sounds a lot like the faulty ignition switches. Some can't get the key some can't get it in. But it is interesting the the key was not turned but if your key was close the transponder would let you start it...let us know what they find...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another alternative... (Equally disturbing )

Not theft; just some creative vandalism!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

yes let us know, i always thought our bikes would be hard to steal since the ignition process takes time

Spyder Garage

..................let us know the outcome!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

The outcomes listed above have merit... BUT:

1) Just by inserting a foreign object can make a bad day for someone, so the OP would not even get it started without turning the key/tumbler to the ON position.

2) The OP started the Spyder with the obstruction inside. That points that someone did try to get it started. But without a transponder, the attempt failed. (Note: transponder HAS to be really close to the handlebars to get it to work, not just a few steps away).

I would have filed a report to the police and with that go for an insurance claim if the dealer will charge you more than your deductible.
    Last edited by bullant12; 08-28-2014 at 07:25 AM.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    The outcomes listed above have merit... BUT:

1) Just by inserting a foreign object can make a bad day for someone, so he would not even get it started without turning the key/tumbler to the ON position.

2) The OP started the Spyder with the obstruction inside. That points that someone did try to get it started. But without a transponder, the attempt failed. (Note: transponder HAS to be really close to the handlebars to get it to work, not just a few steps away).

I would have filed a report to the police and with that go for an insurance claim if the dealer will charge you more than your deductible.
    Yep, what he said. File a claim because this won't be cheap.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most Home Depot Stores have security cameras. But most have a 24 hour replay max, if there is no incident reported the tape resets. This happened to me once at a Kmart (yes some are still around) someone hit my car and the security system caught it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What are you doing in a car; when you've got a perfectly good that's needing a ride?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What are you doing in a car; when you've got a perfectly good that's needing a ride?

This was before my Spyder days!!

Spyder Garage

Another vote for letting us know what you find out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Follow UP To Someone tried to steal my 2014 Can Am Spyder RTS

After returning home from the Home Depot and the incident with my Spyder. I called my Can Am Spyder Tech in Texas who informed
    me that he had experienced a similar situation with his Spyder. He informed me that 2014 RTS had problems with ignition keys
    being stuck in ignitions and not being able to insert key properly . He suggested that I spray the ignition key and key ignition with
    WD-40. Which I didn't work. I called AAA to transport my Spyder to the dealership. My spyder wouldn't start with the key in the ignition and parking brake on. AAA wasn't experienced with Spyders and they didn't want to cause any damage to the Spyder
    I had the AAA guy talk to the Spyder Tech. The never came to a meeting of the minds. So I sprayed the key and ignition with WD-40
    and tapped the key a couple times with the bottom of the can. My cluster lit up when I turned on the key. I made it to the dealership
    under my own power. The Tech ordered a new ignition switch which will probley be in after "Labor Day". There is a recall on certain vin
    numbers and key tag numbers. Mine was not on the list but was covered by the warranty. Correction: My Spyder was not vandalize
    just a faulty ignition switch. Thanks to all those that responded. Ride Safe
    OG Common

Spyder Garage

Thanks for letting us all know the final outcome!

Sorry for for your troubles, but I am glad you were able to work it out. Thankfully when I had to have mine towed into a dealer the AAA driver knew how to.
    I hope they get you back on the road soon.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue