Spyder Garage

Default Monument Valley trip

looking for suggestions from those who have been there. What is the best route from Durango, CO., to get to the valley that would allow us to see the sites? I realize this is a huge area with many sites and we will be passing thru this area and would like to see as much of this as possible. Ok, bring on your suggestions!

Ralph
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was there just before the OE in June. I went from Cortez on US-160 to the 4-Corners monument, then continued on 160 in Arizona to Kayenta. There I turned north on US-163 to Monument Valley. I stayed at Goulding's which is on the west side of Hwy 163. The park itself is on the east side of the highway and there's The View hotel there. From my internet search it seemed like that was about it, but it turned out there are hotels in Kayenta, if you don't mind driving a bit to the park. Goulding's is a big tribute to John Wayne and John Ford. I did a full day tour of the valley and Anasazi ruins. It was really something to see, but very hot and sand got everywhere in my shoes and clothes. I returned to Colorado via US-191, turning east on US-491, through Dove Creek, Colo (Highway 666/Trail of the Ancients), to Cortez. There are other sights in the area I didn't have time to see - Hovenweep National Monument, Canyons of the Ancients.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder has you covered pretty good. It is hot and dry. Some suggest being there during sunrise or sunset also. The ruins are worth seeing.

Some interesting Native roadside stands were there when I went through. Your chance to get the "good stuff" if you are interested.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I were there in April if you are planning on taking a tour you can arrange for them at booths directly across from the View Hotel. We took a private tour of both valleys in an air conditioned private vehicle. The only other way of taking a tour is in an open truck. In speaking to people who did this they did not enjoy it due to the dust and they could not hear the tour operator. If rooms are wanted at the valley suggest you make reservations as there are only 2 hotels with a limited number of rooms. If taking your Spyder you would not want to ride them in the valley as all the roads are dirt and not in very good shape. Have fun

Spyder Garage

Our favorite area in the whole of the USA.

There are so many vistas it is hard to know where to begin.

Between Durango & Cortez is Mesa Verde NP. A long drive into the park & will take a day to see the spectacular ruins.

After Cortez (nice stop in town centre at tourist office to take care of bodily needs & leave on hwy 160) we always head to Aneth & Bluff (hwy 41 & 162) then down towards Mexican Water (the Mexican Hat is close by)

Then on hwy 261 & 316 to the Great Goosenecks of the San Juan River state park for fantastic views

On up the Moki Dugway, (hwy 261 again & not for the faint of heart) & at the top turn left (CR241/Muley Point Rd) for a firm surfaced sandy ride to Muley Point for fantastic panoramas

Back down the Moki Dugway (even more scarey!) to Monument Valley. We used to stay at Gouldings but for the last few times have stayed in "The View" in the tribal park at the head of the valley. There are views to die for of the Mittens from your balcony. Or you can stay in Kayenta for a lot less.

Have driven around the valley floor many times but only in a car. The descent from The View to the valley floor is "hairy" at the best of times & I would never do it on 2 or 3 wheels due to ruts & copious dust. Take the open jeep ride.

Enjoy it all, we will be doing it again next year.
    Last edited by oldgoat; 08-27-2014 at 03:20 PM.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default Train

While in Durango I would suggest taking the train ride to Silverton....You won't be sorry....As said above Mesa Verde is a must also....have fun...