Hybrid View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat issues and gear.

To those of you with heat issues, what kind of riding pants are you wearing when you ride? Just wondering if a majority of those reporting heat issues are wearing street clothes while riding their spyders. I wonder if BRP considered the heat to be fine, this still being a motorcycle, expecting riders to wear armored gear when riding which would help negate the heat issues as Ive noticed the heat from my RSS to be much less when wearing kevlar jeans vs street jeans.

The spyder attracts a lot of first time riders and i see plenty of pics of people riding without armored riding gear, not meant to be an ATGATT thread but something to think about concerning heat issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You make a very good point. But you may likely get a lot of flak from the flip flop & shorts crowd.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You make a very good point. But you may likely get a lot of flak from the flip flop & shorts crowd.
    Ive ridden in street jeans i wont deny it. However i wonder just how much of the heat issues are caused less by the bike, but made worse by peoples clothing choice when riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
    Ive ridden in street jeans i wont deny it. However i wonder just how much of the heat issues are caused less by the bike, but made worse by peoples clothing choice when riding.
    You are absolutely correct and I usually questions people on what they wear when I hear complaints of heat. There are a lot of first time motorcycle riders who don't realize that motorcycles are hot because you are sitting on the engine.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You are absolutely correct and I usually questions people on what they wear when I hear complaints of heat. There are a lot of first time motorcycle riders who don't realize that motorcycles are hot because you are sitting on the engine.
    Well, i think theres only so many places heat can go, and i think a lot of The spyders problems are caused by the body work covering the motor. I had two dry rotted hoses i blame on the heat under the tupperware.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Really

Do your Kevlar jeans have armor in the inner thigh? That would appear that most are complaining. I usually wear riding pants and riding boots and that does a great job of deflecting heat for me.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

now I ryde with regular jeans and lace on shoes, can not wear boots any more but regardless have no problems. Agree that in colder weather wearing chaps helps considerably with the heat. Again many complaints come from people that have never ryden a motorcycle wish they would ryde on the hood of their car and tell me there is no heat...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

They only ride GoldWings!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    They only ride GoldWings!

Jack
    I really like my Spyder, but I love my Goldwing...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i wear full gear, pants, gloves, jacket. yes it is hot but i know every time i get on my bike i will under my own power get off & walk away when i park it.
    i saw that justin jerkoff photo of him & his buds in shorts & t's, i think he will look real cool in a wheel chair.
    ...and from the "normal clothes" crowd, as well.

Not directing this at the two people I quoted above, but.... I would think that the vast majority of Spyder riders ride in "sensible" street clothes like me - IOW, genes (or long pants), socks and laced shoes or sneakers, and a full shirt (short or long sleeve depending on the weather), some kind of helmet with some kind of eye protection, and maybe gloves. I also carry a lightweight jacket or sweatshirt for when it's cool, and a waterproof parka for when it rains. I have never worn armored gear on my cruisers or my Spyder.

When I rode 2-wheel cruisers, I followed MSF guidelines with regard to clothing. On my Spyder, I make only two exceptions... While ankle boots are a good idea on a motorcycle (as suggested by the MSF), I don't really see the point on a Spyder, as it's not going to fall over on top of you and burn your ankles or legs with a hot exhaust pipe. The only other MSF recommendation I no longer strictly adhere to is long sleeves in hot weather.

Every once in a while, you'll see someone in a T-shirt, shorts and sandals, but not very often. (I agree that's rather risky as well as uncomfortable, on any 2-wheeled vehicle or on a Spyder.) But on the other extreme, I don't believe I've ever seen anyone riding a spyder decked out in full armored gear as if they were riding a crotch rocket. (I know some on this forum say that they do.)

Anyone is welcome to ride wearing want they want - "It's a free country", as they say. I just sometimes wish the ATGATT folks wouldn't get "preachy" about it, or suggest that only first time riders do not wear armored gear, or that BRP designed the "heat factor" of the Spyder with them in mind.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-27-2014 at 03:01 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat issues and gear.

Did the 09 sm5 get these heat complaints? I just bought one a few months ago and definitely notice my right foot gets hot. Nothing unbearable though. I wear jeans or shorts and tennis shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder34 View Post
    Did the 09 sm5 get these heat complaints? I just bought one a few months ago and definitely notice my right foot gets hot. Nothing unbearable though. I wear jeans or shorts and tennis shoes.

Read my above post. Also look into SpyderPops heat management ad-ons.

Have a 09 sm5 too and have no heat issues now.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Read my above post. Also look into SpyderPops heat management ad-ons.

Have a 09 sm5 too and have no heat issues now.
    Thanks. Will do.