Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I'll just say...the 2013 ST was so hot it melted things under Tupperware.....including spark plug wires falling apart.....heat is 90% gone with all that Mark and BRP have done.....right foot still really hot....usually just move foot....but stop and go will almost get me....I wear jeans...and high top leather boots...so some of us complainers wear gear
    I have just installed new air scoops that solved all my heat problems. The heat above the rear of the engine is what you want to get out of the RS & ST Spyders. If you like to see them: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=scoop . I road my 2011 RS-S SE5 in jeans and shoes and no socks, no problem. I did other stuff before, but this mod. made it complete.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    How many miles on the RS? Maybe your 'Y' gaskets are burnt out...
    3200 miles.

Registered Users Top End Unlimited's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default No problem with 2012 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Bob, I have little doubt that, if pressed, most of us have done that too, just not on long trips... The facts are that the 2012s really don't have a heat problem, my fully encased BMW K didn't have a heat problem, and the 2014s don't have a heat problem.. Hmmmm, are we following this?

You may recall the fully open Hardley TriGlide had a serious heat problem in 2012 & 2013, requiring $2K in farkles to make them rideable. Hardley really hasn't done much to address that problem either. But like our 2014s, the problem seems to have gone away. Whither it's the emissions requirements (one would think a California bike would be REALLY bad), or a mechanical design issue, the Spyder's problem causes things to melt and burn, raising the notch higher. We also know that if BRP acknowledges this, the floodgate would burst.

What I would like to see, would be some threads that state that some change/fix initiated by BRP is fixing the issue - such as the tupperware changes for the RSS.. Just my opinion.
    I usually keep my mouth shut, but when you say a 2012 doesn't have a heat problem, you need to come and ride mine. Yes , I have rode it in shorts and sneekers. And yes I have rode it in jeans and boots. The jeans do stop the heat on my leg, but the boots still get my foot hot. Unless I am missing something, I have to disagree with you. Just my $.02. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1. Do you have forward pegs on your RT?
    If so; they kind of put your right foot smack dab in the middle of the "Blast Path" for the radiator airflow...
    2. Nobody said that the 2012s had NO problems with this... Just ask JerBear!
    3. Have you actually tried removing the bottom pans from beneath the bike? Easy to accomplish, and it gives the heat more places from which to escape.
    4. You ARE in Florida... It's more than a bit warm to begin with... WITHOUT putting a motorcycle underneath your butt... I'll be that you don't notice it when your ride in January...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users Top End Unlimited's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default heat

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    1. Do you have forward pegs on your RT?
    If so; they kind of put your right foot smack dab in the middle of the "Blast Path" for the radiator airflow...
    2. Nobody said that the 2012s had NO problems with this... Just ask JerBear!
    3. Have you actually tried removing the bottom pans from beneath the bike? Easy to accomplish, and it gives the heat more places from which to escape.
    4. You ARE in Florida... It's more than a bit warm to begin with... WITHOUT putting a motorcycle underneath your butt... I'll be that you don't notice it when your ride in January...
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes It is hot here even when your standing. My trip to Tn. tonight will show me a little more I suspect. I do have a block off plate with plastic removed underneath. Thanks for your reply.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck!
    We actually saw an RT with a block-off plate that had a 90 degree exhaust outlet tip hooked to it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat issues and gear.

Did the 09 sm5 get these heat complaints? I just bought one a few months ago and definitely notice my right foot gets hot. Nothing unbearable though. I wear jeans or shorts and tennis shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
    3200 miles.
    Mine burned out at about 1,700.

To test the gaskets, take off the right center panel. You'll see the exhaust joint with a spring. Turn the engine on and carefully cup your hand close to the joint. If you feel air coming out, there's your heat problem.

Replace the 'Y' gaskets with Honda 18392-MAM-000.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder34 View Post
    Did the 09 sm5 get these heat complaints? I just bought one a few months ago and definitely notice my right foot gets hot. Nothing unbearable though. I wear jeans or shorts and tennis shoes.

Read my above post. Also look into SpyderPops heat management ad-ons.

Have a 09 sm5 too and have no heat issues now.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Read my above post. Also look into SpyderPops heat management ad-ons.

Have a 09 sm5 too and have no heat issues now.
    Thanks. Will do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i wear full gear, pants, gloves, jacket. yes it is hot but i know every time i get on my bike i will under my own power get off & walk away when i park it.
    i saw that justin jerkoff photo of him & his buds in shorts & t's, i think he will look real cool in a wheel chair.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You make a very good point. But you may likely get a lot of flak from the flip flop & shorts crowd.
    ...and from the "normal clothes" crowd, as well.

Not directing this at the two people I quoted above, but.... I would think that the vast majority of Spyder riders ride in "sensible" street clothes like me - IOW, genes (or long pants), socks and laced shoes or sneakers, and a full shirt (short or long sleeve depending on the weather), some kind of helmet with some kind of eye protection, and maybe gloves. I also carry a lightweight jacket or sweatshirt for when it's cool, and a waterproof parka for when it rains. I have never worn armored gear on my cruisers or my Spyder.

When I rode 2-wheel cruisers, I followed MSF guidelines with regard to clothing. On my Spyder, I make only two exceptions... While ankle boots are a good idea on a motorcycle (as suggested by the MSF), I don't really see the point on a Spyder, as it's not going to fall over on top of you and burn your ankles or legs with a hot exhaust pipe. The only other MSF recommendation I no longer strictly adhere to is long sleeves in hot weather.

Every once in a while, you'll see someone in a T-shirt, shorts and sandals, but not very often. (I agree that's rather risky as well as uncomfortable, on any 2-wheeled vehicle or on a Spyder.) But on the other extreme, I don't believe I've ever seen anyone riding a spyder decked out in full armored gear as if they were riding a crotch rocket. (I know some on this forum say that they do.)

Anyone is welcome to ride wearing want they want - "It's a free country", as they say. I just sometimes wish the ATGATT folks wouldn't get "preachy" about it, or suggest that only first time riders do not wear armored gear, or that BRP designed the "heat factor" of the Spyder with them in mind.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-27-2014 at 03:01 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat