Thread: oil leak

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default oil leak

Picked up new 2014 sts 3 weeks ago and I've put 2,000 miles on it so far and I have found an oil leak on left side...just wondering if anyone has had an oil leak on there's?20140825_160545.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    Picked up new 2014 sts 3 weeks ago and I've put 2,000 miles on it so far and I have found an oil leak on left side...just wondering if anyone has had an oil leak on there's?20140825_160545.jpg
    Lots of places to leak on the left side that can make the pan look like that. Most of them will not be serious. If it's a filter cap leak, do not over torque, many have stripped the threads.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Relax..!!

this could be from oil service blow back from air filter etc. Clean the pan well and check you oil as you ryde to see if you are dropping on the stck. I like to remove all those panels but you don't have to. If the shop drained and or refilled they may have spilled oil and it will deposite there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That looks like a lot of oil, I'd be taking it to the dealer if it was mine.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I cleaned the pan and will keep an eye on it...a lot of oil for sure but not to worried about it right now.

Spyder Garage

My 2013 ST-L also leaked on the left side when it was brand new. Oil was running down the oil tank. The O-ring was missing on the dipstick is all it was. Dealer replaced the o-ring and the first time i removed the bottom panel I found the old one on top the panel.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default leave the pan off

it will be much easier to find the leak. then take the opposite pan off. this lets lots of heat out of the bottom as you ride. just hang them on your garage wall like trophies.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

thats the side you do the oil change from.... check your oil levels (after you have just ridden a ways) need to check at running temp.

see if its fine. If so just drippings from when they did your 600 mile oil change probably. I assume you had it in for the 600 mile?

if the oil is low, pull panels and check around the Oil Filter and the two drain bolts to see if oil dripping. one is under the big resevoir tank and the other is right in the middle of the bottom of the engine where that panel is.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

I just had my oil changed. Saw some oil on garage floor. Put paper under the bike overnight found no sign of oil. I am guessing that it was just a bit of oil dropped on the pan after oil change.
    David Kenney

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default update

Just talked to the dealer they have had the spyder sense December 23rd...they said it does not have an oil leak!!! so I think this is not going to end well. I called brp and they told me to wait and see!!!20140825_160545.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Leak

I have a 2013 ST-S....I took my bottom panels off to help with the heat issue. I noticed oil on mine as well....tracked it down to the drain plug on the oil tank. Tightened it up and haven't noticed anymore leaks on the concrete.
    2013 ST-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[BeMAN9;922003]I have a 2013 ST-S....I took my bottom panels off to help with the heat issue. I noticed oil on mine as well....tracked it down to the drain plug on the oil tank. Tightened it up and haven't noticed anymore leaks on the concrete.[/QUOTE]

I changed the oil with the kit with all new o rings and gaskets and it stilled leaked. It's just my dealer being my dealer and you have to have a lot of patience with them!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talked to the dealer again about this oil leak and now they are saying it's leaking but who knows where it is coming from....so I think that they are moving in the right direction they have had it since Dec 23 and they can say it has an oil leak!!

Spyder Garage

Default Crankcase breather hose nipple

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    Talked to the dealer again about this oil leak and now they are saying it's leaking but who knows where it is coming from....so I think that they are moving in the right direction they have had it since Dec 23 and they can say it has an oil leak!!
    Check the crankcase breather hose nipple. Mine was leaking just a bit, because the hose diameter is too large for diameter of the nipple.
    I replaced the original hose band with another that let me tighten it up little more.
    The leak stopped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talked to the dealer yesterday and they think it could be close to being done. They told me to call tomorrow around noon.....only time will tell.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We are back to it's not leaking. Don't worry about all the oil under it ...can't find the leak so it's not leaking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default back in the shop

So I put the spyder back in the shop for the third time for this oil leak! They had it a week and found it this time! They said it it leaking were the shift linkage goes into the trany so I'm hopping this fixes it and I get it back soon. I will post how they fixed it when I get it back.

Spyder Garage

Check your Stator connection on your lower beam in front of engine. I have had a oil leak on my 2013 rt ltd. It has 4 wires and it is leaking out the wire cover. I had my stator replaced 4000 miles ago and it has always left a spot of oil on the floor, but the last 500 miles it is spraying oil on the saddle bags, brake caliper, wheels and even floating up to the tour pack. I removed air box cluster added JT air kit last weekend. I have room so I cleaned the engine and every inch that had oil on it and now the stator plug in is the only place that is dripping oil.
    I am taking it to the dealer in the morning to see if they can fix it.

Last edited by TXSHOTGUN; 02-20-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default update

I will upload pic of work order of what was done. This last time they had the spyder for just over 2 weeks and called me when it was done and no more leaks! I put 1000 miles on it and pulled lower plastics off of it and it was covered in oil!!! Called the dealer told them what I found and they said that maybe they just did not clean it up very well... so I told them I would clean it and put another 1000 miles on it and pull it apart! So I pulled it apart today and looks like it's still leaking oil, go figure that me cleaning did not fix the oil leak!!
    It just shows if you have a dealer that sucks the spyder experience is so much different if you do run into a problem. I think I will pull all the Brp stickers off of it and put harley stickers on it and live with an oil leak!!20150407_123239.jpg