Spyder Garage

Default THE RATTLER Route 209

We just spent a few days riding in North Carolina, Tennesee & North Giorgia. One of the routes on the top of our list was to ride the Rattler. We ended up buying t shirts from 2 different locations. SO which one is correct. The one on the left or the one on the right. The one on the left was purchased at a shop in hot springs and the one on the right at from someone selling out of a trailer at the southern end of 209.

WP_20140825_001.jpgWP_20140825_002.jpg

We did not notice until that evening when we pulled them out of the Frunk. I think the shirt on the left would be more accurate.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    We just spent a few days riding in North Carolina, Tennesee & North Giorgia. One of the routes on the top of our list was to ride the Rattler. We ended up buying t shirts from 2 different locations. SO which one is correct. The one on the left or the one on the right. The one on the left was purchased at a shop in hot springs and the one on the right at from someone selling out of a trailer at the southern end of 209.

WP_20140825_001.jpgWP_20140825_002.jpg

We did not notice until that evening when we pulled them out of the Frunk. I think the shirt on the left would be more accurate.
    Interesting differences. The answer may be found by looking up a travel guide source on the net. Bottom line, most people are not going to notice any difference--they don't read the fine print. What counts is you were there and got to drive it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Oh Oh..!!

I see a return trip in the making. You will have to go back set your trip to "0" and count the turns... Then make your own T-shirt..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just don't lose track of the count, or you'll have to repeat the ride... (As often as is necessary, to get it right!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We have our own Rt 209 here in New York, but ii's nicknamed Ho Chi Mihn Trail.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

The Rattler (209 to hot springs from Maggie Valley is a good ride. I've been on it many times on my way from Greeneville Tenn. to Maggie valley. I have a decal on my spyder and it looks like the one on the left. there is a store/market that sells the Rattler items At the intersection of 209 on the maggie valley side. At least it was the last time I was through there. There was another restaurant/store about a third of the way in. Seems there was some competition in the beginning as to what the nick name of the road would actually be and the type of logo that would come out on top. Maybe it is still not settled. Regardless it is a great ride.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

The Rattler is a good ride. The first thing we noticed was the 55mph speed limit through out. There are area's that you can "relax" . Some longer strait sections. I found it not as challenging as the Dragon. If you are riding the Rattler on a 2 wheeler you need to be really cautious as there are many corners with spalls & small stones in the center of the the road. This road was also well traveled by locals in trucks, cars & SUV's.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Between the Rattler, and The Tail of The Dragon; I have GOT to find a way to escape South for about a week...
    Ron's right: Our 209 is exciting, but for all of the WRONG reasons!

Spyder Garage

We did the Rattler last year during the Owner's Event, which is not far from Maggie Valley.
    Can't say which info is correct, but I can tell you it is more exciting than the Dragon itself.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're makin' my palms sweat...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have another version of the Rattler T-Shirt
    When I rode the Rattler in May2014 I bought my T-Shirt from Ferguson Supply at The Fines Creek Cafe'

DSCN5934.jpgDSCN5933.jpg

We were not sure what was official merchandise , we just tried to buy a good quality T-Shirt that was a souvenir from riding the rattler.
    I also found a patch to sew on my vest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I have another version of the Rattler T-Shirt
    When I rode the Rattler in May2014 I bought my T-Shirt from Ferguson Supply at The Fines Creek Cafe'

DSCN5934.jpgDSCN5933.jpg

We were not sure what was official merchandise , we just tried to buy a good quality T-Shirt that was a souvenir from riding the rattler.
    I also found a patch to sew on my vest.
    You beat me to it with this shirt I do not remember which group, but it was a group ride and we stopped at the store a couple
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Highway 1

We have a pretty good ride out here on the California coast. From San Louis Obispo to Leggett California. About 500 miles (you have to take a detour through San Francisco) and I don't know how many turns maybe a million, but you can't beat the scenery, and the weather is cool and the view unmatched. Highway 1 is awesome, the only drawback is some slow moving traffic.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

when riding the Rattler, Hwy 209 be sure and include Hwy 63 on the southern part...good ride

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

We ride both the Dragon and the Rattler often since we live here. My favorite is the Devils Triangle (http://devilstriangletn.com/) and Cherohala Skyway (http://www.cherohala.com/).
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Between the Rattler, and The Tail of The Dragon; I have GOT to find a way to escape South for about a week...
    I do not think a week straight would allow you to cover all the great roads in that area. 421, blue ridge to add just a couple. To add to sweaty palms go to Grahamcountytravel.com. It is a local travel bureau or at least was the last time I was down there.
    Good luck
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
    We ride both the Dragon and the Rattler often since we live here. My favorite is the Devils Triangle (http://devilstriangletn.com/) and Cherohala Skyway (http://www.cherohala.com/).
    We did the Cherohala on the way to the Dragon. We actually stayed on rte 28 south of the Dragon and took the long way around and rode from the north back down 129. I missed the whole devils triangle ride, maybe next time. I only had 3 days of riding.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Don't forget the Sidewinder

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

And while you are here don't forget the Sidewinder that is 31 miles of 215 curves.

You're gonna have some fun! (sorry it's sideways but the sidewinder was running away)
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Great rides down south

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I do not think a week straight would allow you to cover all the great roads in that area. 421, blue ridge to add just a couple. To add to sweaty palms go to Grahamcountytravel.com. It is a local travel bureau or at least was the last time I was down there.
    Good luck
    Oldmanzues
    We are lucky to have great mountain roads in the area I live in, Another one to put on your list is "The Snake" which is unusual as it has 3 different directions to go. Elizabethton Tenn. to Shady Valley, Bristol Tennessee To Shady Valley, Mountain City tenn. to Shady valley. The Snake is Highway 421
    I believe. Along with The Snake we have of course the Dragon, The Rattler and never forget the Blue Ridge Parkway (470 miles of beautiful senic mountian roads from Cherokee N.C. to Waynesboro Va.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    We did the Rattler last year during the Owner's Event, which is not far from Maggie Valley.
    Can't say which info is correct, but I can tell you it is more exciting than the Dragon itself.
    Whats our patch say Erick?

dont have my vest here at work ...

Earl

PS Found the picture ... 290 curves in 24 miles according to the road sign at the start of the Rattler

RideTheRattler.jpg
    Last edited by clueless; 08-26-2014 at 05:48 PM.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

The Rattler RTE 209, Tail of the Dragon, Devils Triangle, Cherohala skyway, Sidewinder, Blue Ridge Parkway are all on my Bucket list.

We have are own "Tail of the Dragon" here in Vermont that is RTE . 113, ( in Chelsea to Berkshire) and RTE 17, from Waitsfield to Bristol, and RTE. 108 Called the Notch from Stowe to Jeffersonville( sometimes Truck Trailers get stuck near the top, and in the Winter RTE 108 is Closed. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Interesting true story about the Rattler. Up unto a few years ago 209 was just that 209. Some women in the local government in the area realized that it would be a smart marketing move to name the twistie stretch of US 209 (this stretch starts about 9 miles or so south of Hot Springs). They realized that "naming" a stretch of road brings tourists as well as provides an opportunity to sell merchandise. It is my understanding that the Rattler is the twistie section of 209 (about 9 miles) not the entire route from Lake J. to Hot Springs. Most of US 209 is a gentle road going through valleys and farmlands NOT challenging twisties like the Dragon. The Tail of the Dragon is far more challenging than the Rattler but the Rattler is a more scenic ride.