Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DILEMA

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default DILEMA

I've been riding for over 50 years, everything from Honda's to Harleys. The last three bikes have been BMW's and I am very pleased with them. Nothing is trouble free and the German machines are no exception but my dealer is very accommodating and quick to fix any issue (and I have had very few).
    I have two miles of loose gravel to travel to the closest pavement in the Black Hills and while I have ridden on that stuff for years, age is catching up and I'm not as "good" as I used to be. I have been noticing quite a few Spyders lately and recently tried one out. I love curves and I was surprised at the Spyder's apparent dislike for them. It is great on the straights and quite comfortable (my S.O. loves it) but I'm on the fence regarding handling.
    I've read a ton of stuff on this forum and while I realize most people only post when they have a problem, the problems seem excessive. Is this simply growing pains for Can Am or a lax manufacturer? I don't understand the need for realignment on a new machine or bad wheels/tires and broken windshield mounts. It's going to cost me about the same to trade at either store but is the added stability the Spyder offers worth owning a machine that is not ready for prime time?

Spyder Garage

My last touring bike was a K12 - remember the FI and rear hub issues those had? How about the current recall on the GS?? My K12 was a terrific bike, but like any high end machine, mechanical issues can arise, and it was horrifically expensive to maintain (sound familiar?). Finally, I farkled my K12 as much as I have my Spyders - it just goes with riding a bike.

I now have my third Spyder, and second RT - It is safer, more fun, and my SO will ride with me again. Just remember: IT WILL TAKE 200 TO 300 MILES OF BACKROAD RIDING TO GET USED TO THE SPYDER - do not short change that effort, and you will be glad you made the switch.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default MONTANA

MONTANA;
    i have an '09 RS SE5 with almost 45,000 miles...
    i have NO issues to speak of... yes, a couple recalls: power steering unit, and gas cap... other than that i have been TROUBLE FREE....
    YES, you are correct - most people without complaints never post that fact...
    as for handling... i too have reach the age where time is doing a number on the old bones... i gave up riding some 18 years ago, but when i saw my 1st SPYD3R i was back in the saddle and haven't looked back since... it's been a fabulous pleasure, and i could only wish that the SPYD3R were invented a couple decades ago...
    handling - i find my SPYD3R to be far more fun on the 'twisties' than any 2 wheeler ever gave me...
    the choice is your my best new friend from Montana... and you may learn to dislike the SPYD3R... but you will never know this until you have ridden a few hundreds miles... most of us would never go back to 2 wheels... but that's not to say everyone won't....
    best of luck with you choice...
    ride safely, and enjoy the scenery....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Switch to a Spyder and you'll be glad you did. I was thinking about my move to my Spyder for a year and a half, but when I did do that, I never looked back. I absolutely love it. It took time for me to adjust to a trike after riding a two-wheeler. Do it and you won`t regret! Just don`t buy a 2013RT.
    Last edited by Barlock; 08-25-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    2012 RT-S SE5 with Web Boards, custom graphics and battery tender leads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...NOt feeling like a bike in the turns doesn't make them bad at it; it only makes them different!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have had a 2011 RTS and now a 2014 RTS and had no problems. They both love the curves, but you must ride them differently from a 2-wheeler.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default A little more time..!!

a test ryde under 300 miles is not a good guage. If in doubt see if you can rent one for a few days and you will love the ryde as you relax and get comfortable with it. As to problems you see here they are only a few but repeted and discussed at length. The number of ryders without issues are massive but do not post or are not on this site. Many of us have ryden all the configureations and are here because this is the best, for us at least. As you may have seen there are oodles trying to best this set up with no success. Give it some time if you can
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Be aware that the Spyder is a long belt drive and 2 miles on gravel every day will be a problem. Stones in the belt tear them up and cost money to replace. I agree with you that the Spyder is not the same as a two wheel in the tight turns. The bike doesn't lean and the centrifugal force makes you feel like you may fly off rather than pushing you into the seat. Those considered, I am happy the Spyders exist because without them I wouldn't be riding at all.

Spyder Garage

Baja Ron's Rock Guard is a must have for gravel roads. Really. It was my FIRST farkle on my new 2014.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by almost montana View Post
    I've been riding for over 50 years, everything from Honda's to Harleys. The last three bikes have been BMW's and I am very pleased with them. Nothing is trouble free and the German machines are no exception but my dealer is very accommodating and quick to fix any issue (and I have had very few).
    I have two miles of loose gravel to travel to the closest pavement in the Black Hills and while I have ridden on that stuff for years, age is catching up and I'm not as "good" as I used to be. I have been noticing quite a few Spyders lately and recently tried one out. I love curves and I was surprised at the Spyder's apparent dislike for them. It is great on the straights and quite comfortable (my S.O. loves it) but I'm on the fence regarding handling.
    I've read a ton of stuff on this forum and while I realize most people only post when they have a problem, the problems seem excessive. Is this simply growing pains for Can Am or a lax manufacturer? I don't understand the need for realignment on a new machine or bad wheels/tires and broken windshield mounts. It's going to cost me about the same to trade at either store but is the added stability the Spyder offers worth owning a machine that is not ready for prime time?
    RE: Gravel roads. Get a rock guard. Riding at speed which causes rocks to get thrown will sooner or later get you a rock in your drive belt. A broken belt will give you a $350 or so bill. Belt plus labor. Add more if you need a tow.

Other than that, what others said. Previous two wheeled riders take about 500 or more miles to acclimate to the . It took me almost 1500 miles. Black Hills area is a fantastic place to drive . You wont miss two wheels once you try our three.

I have only needed an alignment on one of my five 's. The 2011. That one, I will leave up to your decision. No broken windshield arms over 5 's and 100,000 plus miles on the brand.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

All valid comments, thanks.

I'll have to look into a longer ride but nothing was mentioned about that when the salesman rode with me. Apparently the individual dealer has a lot to do with personal satisfaction, more so than other brands?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All valid comments, thanks.

I'll have to look into a longer ride but nothing was mentioned about that when the salesman rode with me. Apparently the individual dealer has a lot to do with personal satisfaction, more so than other brands?
    Your dealer can have a lot to do with whether or not you have a good Spyder ownership experience.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default I live on a gravel road

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Baja Ron's Rock Guard is a must have for gravel roads. Really. It was my FIRST farkle on my new 2014.
    The absolute first mod I added to my 2010 and again to the 2014 was Spyderpops rock guard
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Cornering is much different on a Spyder but once you've gotten used to it, it is very comfortable. With 2 wheel experience I am guessing you are used to heading into the corner with minimal braking, leaning over and powering through. The spyder feels to me that it corners best when ridden like a snowmobile with studs in the track. When approaching a corner I slow down to a speed that I can roll through the corner. As I enter the corner I set my line and coast through about the first 1/3 of the corner. At that point I start to twist the throttle, and by the time I am out of the corner I am hammering along again. There may be other ways of doing it, but this is the way that works for me. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ain't no law sez you can only have one ride....I can't give up two wheels so I just ride 'em all. Sure, the spyder gets more miles than anything else cuz it's comfy, carries a lot of stuff, and easier on an old man's hip but the others still get used.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am a newbie with a 2013 RT, I have had it for about 3-4 months and now have 2700 miles on it. I have had no heat problems or have I had any fuel odor, I guess I am one of the lucky ones! Love the spyder more each day I ride it.
    PS: I have rode 2 wheelers for 47 years, and I still have 2 of them, have not rode them since getting the RT.

Spyder Garage

Default Gravel road- twisties

I live on 1 1/2 mile gravel road have the rock guard haven't had a problem in 3 years with rocks in belt. Once you get your trike set up the way you like it, it temps you to go for it in the turns feels like your on rails just flying in and out of curves. Ride it like you stole it!!

Cheers

Gary

All I want to do is ride!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Another old BMW Rider

Ok, I'm an old BMW rider also. With 11000 miles now under my belt, I went on a 2 week trip with my old BMW riding buddies up onto the Gaspe. 1 1200LT, 1 1200 GS, and 1 1600 LT, and me. Whenever They stopped, I was right there with the pack. So, do they corner? Yup if you take the time to learn them and you make a few mods, but it took me 1500 miles to start to feel comfortable then I started to make mods one at a time. Now, I'm pretty happy with where i am. I can't tell you what to do, but only relate my experience as one BMW rider to another. If I can be of any more help, PM me.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Steve. I would not disregard the Spyder because of the way it feels in corners now. I borrowed one for a weekend, before I bought, and I felt the same way then. Now I can corner almost as well as I could with my big Yamaha touring cruiser. But with almost 3500 miles on the bike now, I have to say that I enjoy it much more than the big cruiser, for a variety of reasons. And I still look forward to the twisties.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default A new RT rider

I turned 1300 miles on my 2014 RTS SE6 and I’m just now starting to feel comfortable in the tight flat turns. Stay off the brake and decelerate before the turn, set up for the turn like explained in “Do’s and Do Nots” and then power out of the turn. There are tons of knowledgeable riders on this site and any of them will help you with any Spyder question you have. #1 is finding a dealer who’ll work with you before and after the sale.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/f...ral-Discussion

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lock the outside arm elbow on the curve (right curve, left elbow - left curve, right elbow). This makes for a much smoother curve and better control. Get a bajaron sway bar. They make that much difference. If you taking a corner hard lean toward the inner hand grip and accelerate hard out of the corner. I've rode with the Hells Angel (on a memorial ride) and those guys couldn't believe they couldn't run away from my 14 RTS, even though we were riding 2 up and they were solo. The machine is amazing once you learn the tricks. I would never go back to 2 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT

I have been riding for 45 years on all kinds of 2 wheelers. My last one was a 2010 Goldwing but I just got tired of the weight. I went to a 2014 RT Ltd and love it as well as the wing or a little better. I feel much safer, don't have to fight the weight and can look around at the scenery more. As much as I liked 2 wheels, I will probably never go back or at least not for a touring bike.
    Do the sway bar addition and a lazer alignment on whatever you get. It is worth it.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I say go for it. Even if you're only contemplating the advisability of going to three wheels, I think that's a sure indicator that it's time to make the switch. I did it this past spring and am very glad I did. I had a 2005 Goldwing, but the apprehension of keeping it upright in all situations prompted me to make the change. The release of that apprehension has reinvigorated the joy of riding.

I say the Spyder does not dislike curves. It just likes them in an entirely different way than a 2 wheel bike does. Once I got accustomed to the way the Spyder handles curves I started enjoying going around them more than I did on my 'wing. Mostly because I feel so much safer because of the inherent stability of the three wheels, and because 'Nanny' doesn't let me drive them too fast, which I did one time with my Goldwing! My guardian angel breathes more easily these days! If you've ridden ATVs or snowmobiles then you must have recognized that the Spyder is much more like them than two wheels in how it handles curves.

Between adding a Spyder Pops Missing Belt Guard, and keeping your speed down on the gravel road you should have no problem at all keeping rocks away from the belt.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The overwhelming reason I got into BMW bikes was the incredible handling and power I experienced. I have come to not needing the power so much anymore but I still love diving into a corner at much higher than posted limits and feeling comfortable doing it. When I rode the Spyder I thought "My gosh, what is this?"

I own two Polaris Rangers and know what that 4-wheeling stuff is all about but it's slow speed and manageable. I feel I am betraying motorcycling even looking at these things but I stopped flying a year ago and I lived through that when I thought I wouldn't.

Maybe it's a challenge I should accept and eventually conquer. I wish I could have both but absolutely have no room here for another toy.

All of your advice is very helpful and thought provoking.
    Last edited by almost montana; 08-28-2014 at 07:57 AM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I feel I am betraying motorcycling even looking at these things
    I don't know why for sure, but for some reason that statement comes across to me in a very positive vein! Maybe it's because it shows you are not taking the idea of the switch lightly, or maybe it shows you really do care about the sport of riding. For me, when I first took my nephew's 2010 RT out for my first ride on a Spyder I was concerned that it just would not feel like I was riding a motorcycle, that the two wheels in front of me would seriously diminish the motorcycle experience. But, to my almost amazement, all that I enjoyed about riding, the openness, the straddling of the machine, the feel of the acceleration, and all that, was still there. Another thing that actually mystifies me - I don't miss my Goldwing at all. All I can figure is that the release of the apprehension of keeping it upright was replaced multifold by the return of the joy of riding!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)