Spyder Garage

Default Confirmation on Bluetooth

Just want to make sure I've got this straight.

I have a 2012 RT Ltd with no additions to the audio system except an Onyx sat radio in the Aux input. I want to listen to the radio (s) using a Bluetooth helmet unit (SENA S20), as well as pairing my cell phone using Bluetooth.
    I will need to buy a Dongle for the radio. I know the phone should pair directly to the SENA S20. Have I got it or did I miss a harness or some other addition to the radio?
    Thanks for the help

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No you do not need the dongle. Check you manual for instructions on pairing. I'm not near my Spyder or I'd do it for you
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSpyder View Post
    Just want to make sure I've got this straight.

I have a 2012 RT Ltd with no additions to the audio system except an Onyx sat radio in the Aux input. I want to listen to the radio (s) using Bluetooth, as well as pairing my cell phone using Bluetooth.
    I will need to buy a Dongle for the radio. I know the phone should pair directly to the SENA S20. Have I got it or did I miss a harness or some other addition to the radio?
    Thanks for the help

J. D.
    You need more than the Dongle. You need the BRP Dongle kit that has the Dongle and cable that plugs directly into the radio or a secondary harness in the tail of your Spyder. There is a thread on how to make your own cable if you wish to make one yourself.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    No you do not need the dongle. Check you manual for instructions on pairing. I'm not near my Spyder or I'd do it for you
    I haven't bought the S20 or anything yet, I'm trying to make sure I order the correct items to do what I am trying to accomplish.

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For a communication system thru helmet like Sena or Scala you don't need anything other than your phone. If you wNt to have it play thru the bikes speakers hook it up to the plug on the right side of your Spyder and pair it to the bike. That's what I have and it did not require purchasing anything.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    For a communication system thru helmet like Sena or Scala you don't need anything other than your phone. If you wNt to have it play thru the bikes speakers hook it up to the plug on the right side of your Spyder and pair it to the bike. That's what I have and it did not require purchasing anything.
    The phone would be no problem to pair to the S20, but was not sure what I needed to get the RT's radio in the headset also.

J. D.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The phone would be no problem to pair to the S20, but was not sure what I needed to get the RT's radio in the headset also.

J. D.
    Aha, I go the other way. I have radio on the comm system. I use my phone for music, Pandora, and GPS. If I'm using the intercom to my husband my GPS instructions will play thru the Spyder speakers
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

J. D.
    I am not sure what Ann is thinking, but you need the dongle to get the radio to play in your headset.

I bring up a new point. I believe the S20 is the same as the SMH10's in as there is only one stereo pairing slot available and 3 Hands Free slots. So you can only choose one of the devices to be stereo.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You need more than the Dongle. You need the BRP Dongle kit that has the Dongle and cable that plugs directly into the radio or a secondary harness in the tail of your Spyder. There is a thread on how to make your own cable if you wish to make one yourself.
    Thanks for the info. So the Dongle shown on the Can Am Accessories for $269 would not include the cable, it would be extra?

J. D.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. So the Dongle shown on the Can Am Accessories for $269 would not include the cable, it would be extra?

J. D.
    That's the kit that has the Sena SM10, cable and mounting bracket. Everything you need is in it. You can buy the Sena SM10 buy itself for $130.00 which some folks do and don't realize they need the cable.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth

Motorcycle Dave has the cable, I just ordered the Sena SM10 and cable from him

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DRTSB View Post
    Motorcycle Dave has the cable, I just ordered the Sena SM10 and cable from him

Dave
    What cable did you order? If it is the cable from Sena, it will only work with Spyders that have the jacks for wired helmets front and rear. Most Spyders do not have that feature. It will plug into the Ipod jack but that does not work. Many people have been disappointed when they get a cable that will not work for them.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    What cable did you order? If it is the cable from Sena, it will only work with Spyders that have the jacks for wired helmets front and rear. Most Spyders do not have that feature. It will plug into the Ipod jack but that does not work. Many people have been disappointed when they get a cable that will not work for them.
    You are correct, I have an extra if anyone needs one. I don't have the wired system on mine.

J. D.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcyle Dave He's your man !

You need to contact Motorcyle Dave he is also a sight sponsor and sells all the Sena products and is a wealth of knowledge.
    here is the link to his web site http://www.motorcycledave.com/

I called him from Ontario Canada left no message and he called me right back and answered all my questions now that's service.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    You need to contact Motorcyle Dave he is also a sight sponsor and sells all the Sena products and is a wealth of knowledge.
    here is the link to his web site http://www.motorcycledave.com/

I called him from Ontario Canada left no message and he called me right back and answered all my questions now that's service.
    I already called and received my SENA system from him.

J. D.