Spyder Garage

Default BRP warranty service

Looking for input, I took our 2010 Canam rt in for a noise in the rear wheel area. I have the 2 year diamond coverage and BRP authorized the repair. When the rear is jacked up and then put in gear there is a definite clinking rattling sound. I suspected the bearing. I sent an email with a video of it running to Lamonster and he agreed it sounded like the bearing. Now the rear tire has 13,000 miles on it and is just at the center wear bars. I have a tire from Tire Direct, but wanted to get the bearing issue resolved first, then change the tire. The service manager just called me and said, they inspected the bearings, axel etc and all is fine, but they still have the clinking sound and are concerned the tire being worn is a problem ???? I said I never heard of a worn tire making a metal clinking sound, it has to be something metal causing the noise, not a worn rubber tire. The bike has no vibration, rides and handles great, but has the distinct metal sound at the rear tire. They offered to change the tire for $150, I told them I will bring the tire and they can change it and eliminate that concern, if they change it for $50. He has to call his manager, so it will be the first of the week. What are your thoughts ??
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

this narration make me wonder about the dealer/mech. Your right, metalic sounds do not come from tires. I would wonder if they disassembled the whole rear wheel assembly. There are a lot of parts that if not correctly torqued and assemble could be causing these sounds. The brake pads and caliper could be the culprit as well. If they can't find the problem you may have to see a new dealer/tech..question is will warranty cover the same work repeatedly...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Worn tire is a B.S. response. Tires do not make worn bearing noises. Bearings make bearing noises. Press them to look further.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I would question the tire causing problem as well. However since they have the wheel off already to check bearing, It would simple to change the actual tire, not $150.00. If the wheel is ot off, I would not say they checked the bearings, except maybe raise it up and spin the wheel.
    Just my thoughts
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Update

The dealer pulled the rear tire and examined the axle, bearings, brakes, pulley, belt and all adjustments and really did not find anything wrong. To eliminate the question of noise being caused by the worn tire they agreed to put my Kuhmo on and test it . They put my bike and another RT on jack stands side by side and listened and watched both. The sounds were the same. Driving back from the dealer I did not hear the rattling noise I did before. I am taking a 120 mile ryde tonight, so we will see how it performs with the new Kumho. Tampa Bay Power Sports had over 3 hrs of time into it and I was charged $100 plus tax, needless to say I am happy with that. See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

so the tire was causing the issue?
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    so the tire was causing the issue?
    They really could not pin point the problem, it could have been belt adjustment. They don't know.
    I got 13,100 out of the Kendra, looking for a lot more from the Kuhmo.
    Vietnam 67-69