Spyder Garage

Default Comfort Seat 2" shorter?

I am considering purchasing a comfort seat ( 219400483 ) and a backrest for the comfort seat ( 219400488 ) and am concerned that the drivers seating area being pushed back 2" will shorten the passenger seating area. There is not much room for the passenger now and I did not want to make it worse. Has anyone purchased this seat to provide feedback on my question?

Richard, In Newfoundland, Canada

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Budden View Post
    I am considering purchasing a comfort seat ( 219400483 ) and a backrest for the comfort seat ( 219400488 ) and am concerned that the drivers seating area being pushed back 2" will shorten the passenger seating area. There is not much room for the passenger now and I did not want to make it worse. Has anyone purchased this seat to provide feedback on my question?

If you have an RT, the comfort seat does indeed move the driver back another two inches or so. This does encroach on the passengers room. If you add a backrest it makes it a bit worse because the passenger will have to sit behind the installed backrest.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It does take away from the passenger so unless the passenger is small in the diameter area it will be uncomfortable for her/him. This is the reason I sold mine.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The shorter passenger distance is THE reason why there will be no backrest for me. I think some people have used the "more compact" UTOPIA backrest inplace of the BRP. I'm sure someone who has installed this backrest will chime in and provide a DIY link for you to look at.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

I am considering a 2014 RT, physical problems dictate I can not use a regular seat with my wife 5' 110 lbs. Trial sitting sitting, pouring out, She said the reduced space on the comfort seat from my stock 2010 RT was fine. Guess it all depends on the size of the passenger.
    Good luck in any case.
    Oldmanzues
    Last edited by Oldmanzues; 08-21-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: corrected a mistake in words
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I am considering a 2014 RT, physical problems dictate I can not use a regular seat with my wife 5' 110 lbs. She said the reduced space for my stock 2010 RT was fine. Guess it all depends on the size of the passenger.
    Good luck in any case.
    Oldmanzues
    Yes, size of the passenger is an important part of the equation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

to lazy to look up part numbers to see what they fit but on our RS it changed the passengers ryding position for the better. She sits higher and level and with the backrest more comfortable. But this is hard because butts on bikes are like finger prints on glass... But this is what we have found..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Buy a seat that's really a comfort seat... Go with a Russell Day Long.
    Not that much price difference and really worth it.

Spyder Garage

Richard,

There is less room for the passenger - but only about 1" less. The other inch the driver gains is absorbed in the smaller size of the "raised section" between driver and passenger. I took a picture of the two together... perhaps this picture will answer your question. (The Comfort Seat is the one that is NOT yet installed on the bike in this picture.) I also have the Utopia backrest installed While I do not believe that will cut down on passenger leg room (if you use one of the higher settings), it will intrude further on front-to-back room for the passenger, as any backrest would. You can see that picture in this post.

Last edited by robmorg; 08-22-2014 at 07:26 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rob...
    NICEST description so far!!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-22-2014 at 07:45 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Bob.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I sat on a Comfort Seat, and realized that I'd need to lose a WHOLE bunch of weight...

Your picture also shows why if you get the wrong backrest; you end up with wrinkles...
    The angle of that "raised section", is different.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-22-2014 at 07:47 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure if the angle is a tad more reclined on the comfort seat, or if it just looks like that in the picture because of the way that follow is holding the seat. In either event any real difference is small. I'm not familiar with the new BRP backrests, but the Utopia backrests are identical for the two seats, except that the mounting bracket on the comfort seat version is a little shorter to accommodate the shorter distance from the top of the seat to the pan.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-22-2014 at 08:27 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

I have the comfort seat with the Utopia backrest.
    My wife fits and she likes the backrest as it makes her feel more secure in the seat.

She is 5'5" 125 lbs and a little rounder than when we were young.
    Sorry I don't know her waist size.
    I am 6'4" and 250 lbs.

I was worried about this when I got the seat and backrest but it worked out.
    Just remember you could remove the backrest when you have a passenger and use your wife as the backrest

Here is a picture of us on it so maybe this helps to show the relationship and fit?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the comfort seat on our 2014 RT-L.
    I had a 2011 RT-S with the standard seat. My wife and I took a 7000 mile trip out to New Mexico and I concluded I could not live with the standard seat. I'm 6'9" around 300 and my wife is not small. I found myself pushed forward too much for comfort.

When I bought the 2014 I ordered the comfort seat as well and never told my wife. As I said she's a pretty big gal and I wondered if she would notice and complain that she had too little space or that I was crushing her(!). I ordered the backrest as well and I knew that the two of us would never fit with that in place- true. Well she never noticed that the back seat portion was smaller and I am happy to have the hump in the seat a little further back. When we cruise together she is my backrest. She likes it fine, I love it and somehow she doesn't feel squashed...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Richard,

There is less room for the passenger - but only about 1" less. The other inch the driver gains is absorbed in the smaller size of the "raised section" between driver and passenger. I took a picture of the two together... perhaps this picture will answer your question. (The Comfort Seat is the one that is NOT yet installed on the bike in this picture.) I also have the Utopia backrest installed While I do not believe that will cut down on passenger leg room (if you use one of the higher settings), it will intrude further on front-to-back room for the passenger, as any backrest would. You can see that picture in this post.

Thanks for this, best explaination yet.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife need all the room she can get. This makes any seat option and any backrest that reduces her "throne"area a NO-NO. That being the case I need the largest "raised section". Looks like I'll have to live with the stock seat. Hopefully there is a company like Wing Soft that modifies the stock GW seat for the Spyder.
    Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Richard,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    My wife need all the room she can get. This makes any seat option and any backrest that reduces her "throne"area a NO-NO. That being the case I need the largest "raised section". Looks like I'll have to live with the stock seat. Hopefully there is a company like Wing Soft that modifies the stock GW seat for the Spyder.
    If you find such a company, another option may be for them to shave an inch or so of foam off of the passenger backrest. The rear backrest is easy to remove and it looks as though that may be a viable option for anyone who would need more space back there.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    If you have an RT, the comfort seat does indeed move the driver back another two inches or so. This does encroach on the passengers room. If you add a backrest it makes it a bit worse because the passenger will have to sit behind the installed backrest.

Spyder Garage

Richard,

I am not sure what year RT you have but if it is not a 2014 you may what to order a 2014 limited passenger backrest as it gave my wife about an inch more room that the 2013 RT Limited passenger backrest did. The 2014 backrest is a little flatter and gave her more room.

dakotaspyder