Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NANNY ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I do recall a post about someone riding to Alaska and back running the HydroEdge 213/60R15 and having no Nanny issues. That was the post that convinced me to go with it. Thanks for mentoring me!
    ....................IMHO.....( not as a Forum God ) I doubt very highly that there is any tire that will fit the OEM RIM that could possibly cause any problems with the " NANNY "..................Simply because the tire sizes available are limited........Remember it's more than just the Diameter of the Rim ....you also have to consider the Rim WIDTH...............just sayin.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....................IMHO.....( not as a Forum God ) I doubt very highly that there is any tire that will fit the OEM RIM that could possibly cause any problems with the " NANNY "..................Simply because the tire sizes available are limited........Remember it's more than just the Diameter of the Rim ....you also have to consider the Rim WIDTH...............just sayin.....Mike
    This tire is a different size than the OEM. It is "taller", giving it a larger circumference. As such, it rolls fewer revolutions than the OEM for the same distance traveled. As such, the Nanny can receive data from a wrong sized tire that will cause undesirable error conditions.

A few years back, my dealer had a Spyder in the shop for a couple of weeks that totally baffled them. It kept throwing error codes that they would run the prescribed diagnostics, find no problems, clear the codes, take for a test ride, only to have the same codes pop up. They finally called BRP tech support and was asked if the rear tire was a size different than the OEM, which it was, having been mounted just before the problem started. The new tire was swapped for one the proper size and the errors ceased. Nanny issues can be caused by wrong sized tires, so you must be careful with your selection.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 215/60/15

Over 5,000 miles on my "wrong size" tire and the nanny is still asleep. The 215/60/15 works well for me and all the people that want to run the stock tire can run the stock tire.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default rear tire

I can tell you OVER 50,000mi. with 215/60-15 has never once had a nanny problem , think computer looks for DIFFERENCE in wheel speed once rolling to control traction, abs and diff. between front tires for stability control. "0" issues to date.

Spyder Garage

Default WHAT BRP IS REQUIRED TO TELL YOU

This tire is a different size than the OEM. It is "taller", giving it a larger circumference. As such, it rolls fewer revolutions than the OEM for the same distance traveled. As such, the Nanny can receive data from a wrong sized tire that will cause undesirable error conditions.

A few years back, my dealer had a Spyder in the shop for a couple of weeks that totally baffled them. It kept throwing error codes that they would run the prescribed diagnostics, find no problems, clear the codes, take for a test ride, only to have the same codes pop up. They finally called BRP tech support and was asked if the rear tire was a size different than the OEM, which it was, having been mounted just before the problem started. The new tire was swapped for one the proper size and the errors ceased. Nanny issues can be caused by wrong sized tires, so you must be careful with your selection.
    ......BRP, the company and the people who work for them are only going to approve the KENDA tire .......PERIOD..........anything else technically violates the Warranty ....so do you think BRP is going to take that position...............and I stand by my earlier statement ..........There are no 14 or 15 inch Diameter tires that will fit the OEM RIMS ( the width ) that are going to cause a problem with the NANNY...........................However because I want to be absolutely positive on this I will check with TIRE RACK and find out if there are some really LARGE ...."ASPECT " ratio's in our sizes .......Mike

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

I ordered a replacement tire for my '10 RTS over the phone. I was sure he repeated the correct size back to me. The tire came and I got an appointment to get it installed. My dealer got it installed and called me and said that the bike was throwing codes. It all boiled down to them shipping me a 225/60/15. A tire can be installed on the can am rim and it will screw things up.

Spyder Garage

......BRP, the company and the people who work for them are only going to approve the KENDA tire .......PERIOD..........anything else technically violates the Warranty ....so do you think BRP is going to take that position...............and I stand by my earlier statement ..........There are no 14 or 15 inch Diameter tires that will fit the OEM RIMS ( the width ) that are going to cause a problem with the NANNY...........................However because I want to be absolutely positive on this I will check with TIRE RACK and find out if there are some really LARGE ...."ASPECT " ratio's in our sizes .......Mike
    Not once did I talk about rim width. I was very clear concerning the circumference of the tire. You stand by your earlier statement if you want, but it is incorrect. I explained it and retired1 has also given an example of the wrong size causing codes.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Default ????????????

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    I ordered a replacement tire for my '10 RTS over the phone. I was sure he repeated the correct size back to me. The tire came and I got an appointment to get it installed. My dealer got it installed and called me and said that the bike was throwing codes. It all boiled down to them shipping me a 225/60/15. A tire can be installed on the can am rim and it will screw things up.
    ..............I said I was going to do some investigating on this tire size issue ....................Your dealer said the 225/60 -15 caused the Spyder to throw codes.....Well that tire turns 811 revs per mile ......................A 215/ 60-15 tire turns 827 revs per mile ( this tire does not throw codes ) ...........So your dealer is saying 16 revs per mile is going to upset the NANNY ......I think the either the dealer is BS'ing you or there is something else going wrong........it's not the size of the rear tire ...........................Lots of people here are putting on 215/60-15 michlein Hydro-edge tires and are not throwing codes ..............The difference in Diameter between the two is 4/10 ths of an inch..........................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-28-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default NO YOU DIDN'T

Not once did I talk about rim width. I was very clear concerning the circumference of the tire. You stand by your earlier statement if you want, but it is incorrect. I explained it and retired1 has also given an example of the wrong size causing codes.
    ​....But I did because it's a very important part of the equation.........the RIM WIDTH limits how wide a tire can be put on a given RIM ie. you cannot fit a 225 tire onto a 5 inch rim...........And I answered retired1's tire issue with His dealer above ................Mike ....................The numbers I quoted came from TIRE RACK web site.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

What looks good on paper doesn't always work when put into practice.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lord knows I'm no expert on what the nanny will or will not accept as far as tires go. I just know that I'm completely happy with the 215/60/15 Hydroedge on the RT and will continue running it until I run thru the two I have. I've had no nanny issues (and I've pushed this tire hard), no hydroplaning issues (although I haven't run in any really deluge type conditions), and the wear seems to be within acceptable limits. IF I trade for an F3, I will run out the Kenda that comes with it and then put my spare Hydroedge on it too (if it fits). If not, I will decide then on what tire to use.

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    What looks good on paper doesn't always work when put into practice.
    .........I just proved to you Mathematically that it was not the TIRE ...........if you think the Dealer is right and the math is wrong please prove it ..........How many threads / posts have seen on this Forum where the Dealer has lied .............................Iv'e seen dozens if not a couple hundred.................Mike

Spyder Garage

.........I just proved to you Mathematically that it was not the TIRE ...........if you think the Dealer is right and the math is wrong please prove it ..........How many threads / posts have seen on this Forum where the Dealer has lied .............................Iv'e seen dozens if not a couple hundred.................Mike
    YOU explain why when a wrong size tire that is mounted results in error codes and when the OEM size or one closer to the OEM size is mounted the codes stop.

This isn't rocket science. Part of the Nanny system includes monitoring wheel speed on each wheel. It is programmed to expect a limited range of variants between front/rear & left/right. When it sees something out of spec, it throws codes.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Default IT'S MAGIC

YOU explain why when a wrong size tire that is mounted results in error codes and when the OEM size or one closer to the OEM size is mounted the codes stop.......My explanation is ......it wasn't the tire

This isn't rocket science. Part of the Nanny system includes monitoring wheel speed on each wheel. It is programmed to expect a limited range of variants between front/rear & left/right. When it sees something out of spec, it throws codes.
    .................................Now my Question there are hundreds of Spyderlovers who are now and have been for quite some time using 215 /60-15 rear tires ......why arn't they throwing codes ??????????.........the difference between a 215 vs. 225 in 60 aspect ratio is about .025 % ................so I really don't think it's the tires.....................Question #2 , is it your opinion dealers and Their employee's are always truthful..................Mike

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SSDD

Spyder Garage

Could it be that the 215/60 is taller than stock but just within the nanny range of acceptance and the 225/60, being just slightly taller plus variations between manufacturers actual sizes, puts the revs per mile just outside the range of nanny acceptability? Just guessing. Have others tried the 225/60 and found trouble or is this a one off case? Always good to have options and others would like to know where the limits are so as to choose wisely once we venture outside the BRP walled garden.

Lots of reports on the 215/60 working fine in a number of different brands. Very few reports on the 225/60 either way.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default OMG

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Could it be that the 215/60 is taller than stock but just within the nanny range of acceptance and the 225/60, being just slightly taller plus variations between manufacturers actual sizes, puts the revs per mile just outside the range of nanny acceptability? Just guessing. Have others tried the 225/60 and found trouble or is this a one off case? Always good to have options and others would like to know where the limits are so as to choose wisely once we venture outside the BRP walled garden.

Lots of reports on the 215/60 working fine in a number of different brands. Very few reports on the 225/60 either way.
    .............................JC, you are late to this party..............in my post # 58....I explained that according to the SPECS given by TIRE RACK the difference in revolutions per mile between the two tires is 16.....there is no way the NANNY can tell that small amount ..............811 vs. 827 ,revolutions .....per mile ....................I'm done with this now .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-28-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

The OEM tire is 225/55R15, so the variance between that and the 215/60R15 tire we are discussing is not significant enough to trigger the nanny error code. I run the 215/60R15 HydroEdge myself & have for over 15,000 miles. Not only did I check into this before buying, I now have 2.5 years of riding on the different size to confirm the nanny is OK with it. I also found my speedometer is now never more than 1 MPH different than my Garmin Zumo 550 GPS, & often they read the same speed.

The ratio for the second number (sidewall height) is NOT based on the rim width, but the tire tread width. While my sidewall height ratio ('60') is bigger than the OEM '55', my '215' width measurement is a bit smaller than the OEM '225' width, bringing it closer to the desired reading.
    Last edited by MarkLawson; 09-28-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAT

The OEM tire is 225/55R15, so the variance between that and the 215/60R15 tire we are discussing is not significant enough to trigger the nanny error code. I run the 215/60R15 HydroEdge myself & have for over 15,000 miles. Not only did I check into this before buying, I now have 2.5 years of riding on the different size to confirm the nanny is OK with it. I also found my speedometer is now never more than 1 MPH different than my Garmin Zumo 550 GPS, & often they read the same speed.

The ratio for the second number (sidewall height) is NOT based on the rim width, but the tire tread width. While my sidewall height ratio ('60') is bigger than the OEM '55', my '215' width measurement is a bit smaller than the OEM '225' width, bringing it closer to the desired reading.
    .................................................. .........................Mark ....what does this have to do with answering my post ( in answering your post ) to me .........or it's not supposed to be an answer to anything at all..............It's just a random statement ??????......Mike

Spyder Garage

Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

.................................................. .........................Mark ....what does this have to do with answering my post ( in answering your post ) to me .........or it's not supposed to be an answer to anything at all..............It's just a random statement ??????......Mike
    Just trying to hit all points. Was thinking about your rim width comment and thought maybe you were thinking the sidewall height spec was based on that.

I've concluded that while I know what I'm trying to say, I've obviously not understood what you're trying to tell me. For that, I apologize.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdr View Post
    Best replacement rear tire for Spyder. I have one and very happy with it.
    How does that compare to the OEM size? In the owners manual they show 225/50R15.

Spyder Garage

No comparison with the OEM. MICHELIN HydroEdge is the best tire on the market. This tire run smooth, excellent traction and very good grip in the curves.

No problem with the VSS, ABS, TC or other nannys....

IMHO, The OEM Kenda is the worst tire for the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Bob, I have 15,413 miles on my HydroEdge rear tire after about 2.5 years on the RT. It shows between 7 & 8 on the tread depth gauge. When I check the pressure, which isn't as often as it should be, I set it to run at 28 psi. Have not noticed any significant pressure loss, although I'm sure I make pressure adjustments when checking and needed.

Tire looks good.

I have had a significant hydroplaning incident not long after installing it. I was on the interstate and running around 70 mph pulling my loaded RT622 trailer. Hit a strong thunderstorm that put a good amount of water on the highway. The tire broke traction while doing a slight acceleration to get away from some tractor trailer rigs that were blowing out a good amount of spray. It did take me by surprise and I was able to easily duplicate the loss of traction in that same storm. I have not had that happen again.
    I was one that touted the Hydroedge also. It wears like iron. It is good in light rain. In August we went to Yellowstone and just out of Rapid City SD ran into very hard rain. My wife and I ride a 2011 RT with 622 trailer. It hydroplaned really BAD!! Could not drive over 50 miles an hour. Long story short, I don't ride in much rain, usually light rain. But on a long trip it is beyond your control. I plan to continue to run the HydroEdge because of the wear being so good. But if ever I go on a long trip again (2 weeks) I will put the original tire back on. Hydroplaning scared the SH*T out of me.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Default HYDROPLANING ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by lyonsden View Post
    I was one that touted the Hydroedge also. It wears like iron. It is good in light rain. In August we went to Yellowstone and just out of Rapid City SD ran into very hard rain. My wife and I ride a 2011 RT with 622 trailer. It hydroplaned really BAD!! Could not drive over 50 miles an hour. Long story short, I don't ride in much rain, usually light rain. But on a long trip it is beyond your control. I plan to continue to run the HydroEdge because of the wear being so good. But if ever I go on a long trip again (2 weeks) I will put the original tire back on. Hydroplaning scared the SH*T out of me.
    ........When I was an LEO I went to school and learned about Hydroplaning in regards to accident investigation....It was extensively covered by some experts in the field.....The most important thing I learned was this :::..All tires can and will Hydroplane under the right circumstances. " lyonsden " if you think under the circumstances you described the OEM tire would not have Hydroplaned, you are mistaken. It is really a question of " WHEN " not if ......There are tires that are less prone to Hydroplaning ( winter tires, as an extreme example ) but even the Best of them lose their "edge" so to speak as the tread wears......IMHO, the largest factor in the Hydroplaning issue is the Spyder itself . The lighter the vehicle the more prone it is to " float " and what gives the Spyder great lateral traction ( holding ability in turning ) is the large "foot print " the tires have. This combination has more to do with "Hydroplaning" than the exact type of tire you have on the Spyder. Don't run any tires past the useful life of the tread ( because they will Hydro first ) and drive Smart.....When conditions deteriorate act accordingly and expect the " UNEXPECTED " .....This was not meant as a lecture, I just hope this helps everyone understand ...." HYDROPLANING " a little better .......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-07-2014 at 10:18 AM.