Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    And how is it holding up to the extended use? How much tread depth do you still have?
    Jeez Bob, I can only drive so much

Start out new = .360
    Current after 3700 miles = .320

Used = .040

New estimated milage = .360 / .040 * 3700 = 33,300

So, it looks like the wear is slowing down slightly, but it's still on target to be a 30,000 mile tire (although that is obviously subject to change). So I'm going try to keep this up every 5,000 miles or so just to track the wear on this one.
    Last edited by sddinnh; 09-03-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default what other tires...

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    Jeez Bob, I can only drive so much

Start out new = .360
    Current after 3700 miles = .320

Used = .040

New estimated milage = .360 / .040 * 3700 = 33,300

So, it looks like the wear is slowing down slightly, but it's still on target to be a 30,000 mile tire (although that is obviously subject to change). So I'm going try to keep this up every 5,000 miles or so just to track the wear on this one.
    Since they are about impossible to find. What other tires are good replacements???Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As I understand it, the Michelin Defender is the replacement tire for the Hydroedge. There is also a Perreli P4 available in that size that looks pretty good. Several guys have also had good luck with Khumos. I buy my tires in 2's, so I still have a spare Hydroedge sitting in the barn for the next time around so I haven't been looking for what's available now. I would think that any QUALITY car tire in that size would work fine. I only choose the Hydroedge because I liked the tread pattern and it seemed wide opened enough not to cause hydroplaning.

Spyder Garage

As I understand it, the Michelin Defender is the replacement tire for the Hydroedge. There is also a Perreli P4 available in that size that looks pretty good. Several guys have also had good luck with Khumos. I buy my tires in 2's, so I still have a spare Hydroedge sitting in the barn for the next time around so I haven't been looking for what's available now. I would think that any QUALITY car tire in that size would work fine. I only choose the Hydroedge because I liked the tread pattern and it seemed wide opened enough not to cause hydroplaning.
    I hope you are keeping that spare cool and dark as I was told by a tire manufacture that heat and sun will shorten the life of a stored tire rather quickly.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I like the Hydro Edge but the Primacy and Defender look like they not a symmetrical tread design.

Spyder Garage

New tread depth .360
    Tread depth after 2500 miles .330
    difference .030

Estimated life .360 / .030 * 2500 = 30,800

So far tire handles nicely and good in rain
    good info, with enough options BRP can't block them all
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Registered Users GrumpySteelMan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    Good Info like formula 1 harder compound will last longer but is not good in the rain asked another SL he said his michelin hydroplanes he is using the same tire , lower treadwearwear tire will be softer better for rain
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I have never heard that softer rubber is better for wet roads, only for traction. Is this fact?
    There may be a slight difference in compound, but I imagine whoever came up with this idea was comparing tires with radically different tread patterns/contact patch.

Very soft sports tires on RWD sports cars don't make them spin out or hydroplane any less, this is due to the larger cross section of rubber meeting the road with some influence being the weight applied for a given area.

A 255mm wide tire with a very open tread pattern and/or deep channels gives the water someplace to be displaced. You don't always see this because WET traction must be traded for DRY traction in some ways. For example a very soft "slick" will be way more dangerous than a very hard economy tire in any application, in the wet.

Softer compounds allow for better wet performance without sacrificing too much dry performance by using a sticky compound. The choice of compound is largely incidental for a higher performance tire in the wet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I hope you are keeping that spare cool and dark as I was told by a tire manufacture that heat and sun will shorten the life of a stored tire rather quickly.
    I believe a tire stored in a garage, shed, or basement will last for several years without deterioration despite what the tire manufacture says. After all, they are there to sell tires. Sorta like the Jiffy lubes places tell you to change that expensive synthetic oil every 3000 miles while the MM (motor minder) on you car tells you its good for 10,000 miles.

I like the looks of the tread on the hydroedge and might see if I can find one to use after my current Pirelli P4 wears out.
    Its got 5000+ on it now and 7mm of tread left all across. I didn't measure it when new so no idea how well its wearing. I'm using 22lbs pressure and checking it, and tread depth, regularly to maintain even wear across the tread.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOOK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I believe a tire stored in a garage, shed, or basement will last for several years without deterioration despite what the tire manufacture says. After all, they are there to sell tires. Sorta like the Jiffy lubes places tell you to change that expensive synthetic oil every 3000 miles while the MM (motor minder) on you car tells you its good for 10,000 miles.

I like the looks of the tread on the hydroedge and might see if I can find one to use after my current Pirelli P4 wears out.
    Its got 5000+ on it now and 7mm of tread left all across. I didn't measure it when new so no idea how well its wearing. I'm using 22lbs pressure and checking it, and tread depth, regularly to maintain even wear across the tread.
    ..................Ron look on the TIRE RACK web site sight for Pirelli P -4 tires ......it will give the specs for that tire when it was new .....................and any other tire they sell ..................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..................Ron look on the TIRE RACK web site sight for Pirelli P -4 tires ......it will give the specs for that tire when it was new .....................and any other tire they sell ..................Mike
    Checked TR and it was 8.7mm when new. If its 7mm now with 5000 miles it should last another.................miles? I have no idea how to figure this!

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

divide 8.7 by 1.7 and multiply by 5000 = 25,500 to zero tread

so....... another 15,000 to the wear bars ?????????

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Found a site recommended by a friend veerubber.com they have a trike specific rear tire VT350R ARACHNID solely for trikes, this is rear and 2 options for front one is the ARACHNID VT350F for fronts and a ZILENT VT350R option also for front. I am tired of can am and there poor customer service. My 2012 RT LIMITED original tire lasted 2.5 years 12,000 miles. My new tire 2.5 moths 3900 miles and needs to be replaced because it's worn already. My dealer called them and their response wad OH....Sorry that tire number was updated to a new tire and number. They said Tell your customer we will credit 50.00 towards the purchase of the updated tire. Wait I just spent 375.00 for tire and labor 2.5 months ago, now BRP is telling me to pay another 325.00 and they will pay other 50.00.

I am shocked, I said you sent a tire to my dealer that was not updated tire and number and put.me and my passengers life at risk knowing the tires were bad???? Response: We're standing by that decision , take it to the dealer and decide what you want to do. WELL BRP MY DECISION IS TO FINA A NEW COMPANY THAT STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCT AND DOES NOT PUT THERE CUSTOMERS LIVES AT RISK WITH FAULTY TIRES.....AND I WILL TELL EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE.....

Please check your tires folks, Your safety depends on it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Veerubber.com has trike specific tire for rear it's an ARACHNID. They also have fronts trike specific for can am. Also on there site is ZILENT who makes front trike specific tires for can am. They guarntee product and mileage unlike BRP.
    GOOD LUCK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post

look @ veerubber.com Arachnids for rear and front also they carry ZILENT for fronts too. They make trike specific tires with guarntee.
    Hope this helps....
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    That looks awesome! Can't wait to get mine installed!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME ABOARD

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaberryhill View Post
    look @ veerubber.com Arachnids for rear and front also they carry ZILENT for fronts too. They make trike specific tires with guarntee.
    Hope this helps....
    .................You have been here all of one month ........I've been here a few years and have purchased quite a few tires for hree different Spyders , and they have all been CAR TIRES.....The new Arachnids were COPIED from the KENDA'S which IMHO ( and that of many others here ) a garbage tire ..........if you copy a garbage tire what do you think you will get.??????????......................There are many excellent , long wearing car tires that will fit the Spyder ................and there have about 100 posts about them .............Good luck................Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am reading more on those. Wasn't sure about car tire, pressure, etc. And I was told by some pencil geek tech @ the cust. Service that I would void my warranty on the bike mechanics if something were to go wrong. But @ this point anything but a tire from BRP. I just feel someone else deserves my business from this point forward on tires, only due to how I was treated. My dealer is great and a friend. He told me that they will eat the labor cost. But I need to make a decision on the tire. So it's not a money issue but more principal. My car tires for 4 didn't cost 700.00.
    But I did see the ARACHNID on a Harley trike and it was new with about 350 miles on it and it looked so much more meatier in tread depth. Which do you have on yours??? I'm on a 2012 rt limited.

Some say discount tire, and there is one just around the corner from me so if yours is good maybe I can see if they have 1 in stock to look at. Please let me know

Spyder Garage

divide 8.7 by 1.7 and multiply by 5000 = 25,500 to zero tread

so....... another 15,000 to the wear bars ?????????
    Thanks for doing the math for me.

I'm not that optimistic but if I can get 15K I'd be thrilled. On previous '11, with same tire, it had 10-12K (forget exactly) when traded and it still had lots of tread left so I was expecting at least 15K on it. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I now have over 3,000 miles on my Hydroedge and it looks brand new. Today, we started out in Portland, Maine and landed in Hershey, PA. About 500 miles all told. Some of the route took us right on the edge on NYC and Newark. Those people like their speed and you better match them or get out of their way. I had not rode the hydroedge much in the rain and some had said that the stiffness of the tire vs. the weight of the bike could make hydroplaning a possibility. It rained most of today so I got to test it under what I would consider some of the toughest driving around. If the speed limit is 55, they will run 80. The road has some tight curves and if you don't have traction you are in big trouble. I started carefully and as I rode longer and longer I became completely confidant of the tire. It worked perfectly. I am running about 27 psi in it. This tire may have an issue in 30,000 miles after it wears some, but by that time I would have bought 5 Kendras based upon the mileage I got on the first tire.

Spyder Garage

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I now have over 3,000 miles on my Hydroedge and it looks brand new. Today, we started out in Portland, Maine and landed in Hershey, PA. About 500 miles all told. Some of the route took us right on the edge on NYC and Newark. Those people like their speed and you better match them or get out of their way. I had not rode the hydroedge much in the rain and some had said that the stiffness of the tire vs. the weight of the bike could make hydroplaning a possibility. It rained most of today so I got to test it under what I would consider some of the toughest driving around. If the speed limit is 55, they will run 80. The road has some tight curves and if you don't have traction you are in big trouble. I started carefully and as I rode longer and longer I became completely confidant of the tire. It worked perfectly. I am running about 27 psi in it. This tire may have an issue in 30,000 miles after it wears some, but by that time I would have bought 5 Kendras based upon the mileage I got on the first tire.
    It's a good fit on the Spyder for me. I ran it up thru Quebec last summer and it performed flawlessly, rain or shine. After I was happy, I went out and bought a second one so I'd have a "spare". Too bad they discontinued them. I'm on a hunt now for a new front, but there's no rush, the Kendas seem to be holding up fine now that we got the cupping straightened out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    And how is it holding up to the extended use? How much tread depth do you still have?
    Bob, I have 15,413 miles on my HydroEdge rear tire after about 2.5 years on the RT. It shows between 7 & 8 on the tread depth gauge. When I check the pressure, which isn't as often as it should be, I set it to run at 28 psi. Have not noticed any significant pressure loss, although I'm sure I make pressure adjustments when checking and needed.

Tire looks good.

I have had a significant hydroplaning incident not long after installing it. I was on the interstate and running around 70 mph pulling my loaded RT622 trailer. Hit a strong thunderstorm that put a good amount of water on the highway. The tire broke traction while doing a slight acceleration to get away from some tractor trailer rigs that were blowing out a good amount of spray. It did take me by surprise and I was able to easily duplicate the loss of traction in that same storm. I have not had that happen again.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

It's a good fit on the Spyder for me. I ran it up thru Quebec last summer and it performed flawlessly, rain or shine. After I was happy, I went out and bought a second one so I'd have a "spare". Too bad they discontinued them. I'm on a hunt now for a new front, but there's no rush, the Kendas seem to be holding up fine now that we got the cupping straightened out.
    I put the Michelin Defenders on my fronts. Went with the next size wider, which made them a pain to get into the fender opening, as the edge of the fender kept wanting to drop down into a tire groove. Would have been easy if I'd had a third hand! I have seen no issue with tire rub inside the fender.

When the time comes, I suspect I'll replace them more due to tire age & compound hardening rather than tread wear out.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

I saw a report from Consumer Reports about a new Michelin tire (Premier A/S) that has excellent traction in both dry & wet conditions. Unlike most every other tire, this new tire retain ALL of it's wet/dry traction as the tread is wears. Most tires, if not all, lose wet traction as the tread depth decreases.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ears/index.htm

When the time comes, I may be look at this new one as replacements if the sizes are available.
    Last edited by MarkLawson; 09-26-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Default Hydroedge

I have been missing for awhile due to family and work issues, am glad to see all the positive comments on the 215/60-15 Hydroedge, I was the guinnea pig that started this in 2010. We have since switched to the Altimax Rt mostly for availability and match to her Altimax Rt 175/65-14 fronts. Still running 21psi. front 17psi. rear she is now approaching 70000miles with "O" issues with what we were told was the first RTs sold in Texas on Jan.5, 2010 . We are heading to the Florida Keyes in a month or so and she will pull our Bunkhouse, That will be our S.E. corner since she rode it to Alaska a couple of years ago , it is very tempting to move her to a new 1330 trying to hold her off I told her we would talk about it at 100,000 miles, hers still uses next to no oil between changes been on Mobil 1 10w-40 since 2nd oil change.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by syclemom View Post
    I have been missing for awhile due to family and work issues, am glad to see all the positive comments on the 215/60-15 Hydroedge, I was the guinnea pig that started this in 2010. We have since switched to the Altimax Rt mostly for availability and match to her Altimax Rt 175/65-14 fronts. Still running 21psi. front 17psi. rear she is now approaching 70000miles with "O" issues with what we were told was the first RTs sold in Texas on Jan.5, 2010 . We are heading to the Florida Keyes in a month or so and she will pull our Bunkhouse, That will be our S.E. corner since she rode it to Alaska a couple of years ago , it is very tempting to move her to a new 1330 trying to hold her off I told her we would talk about it at 100,000 miles, hers still uses next to no oil between changes been on Mobil 1 10w-40 since 2nd oil change.
    I do recall a post about someone riding to Alaska and back running the HydroEdge 213/60R15 and having no Nanny issues. That was the post that convinced me to go with it. Thanks for mentoring me!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332