Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank you.

On my 2014 RT-S the OEM tire is 225/50R15 per the Can-Am website. The Michellin that folks are talking about is 215/60R15. Right?

So, What the numbers mean is:
    - tread section is 225 millimeters in width
    - sidewall height is 50% of the tread section measurement so 112.5 millimeters in height
    - R means its a radial tire
    - and 15 is the rim diameter in inches

These number are for an unmounted and unloaded tire.

So going from a 112.5mm sidewall (the 50%) height to a 129mm sidewall (the 60%) height makes the unloaded unmounted tire about 16.5mm wider from the center of the axle to the edge of the tire. This is just over 1/2 inch. Going to the 225/60R15 will change the same measurement by 22.5mm. About 1 inch.

What I am driving at is this - if the "nanny" allow up to a 10% variance for treadwear, over/under-pressure, etc. then the 215/60R15's probably will NOT trigger the codes. Conversely, I can easily see the 225/60R15 causing issues as it is at the 10% variance I am assuming the nanny has.

I am new to Spyders and as I have almost 3700 miles on my current rear tire I read everyone's comments very thoroughly. I will probably have to my tire relatively soon.

I think it would be VERY interesting to have round-table discussions with the various engineers at BRP as to why they did some of the things they did...

Thank you, everyone for your insights, opinions, and responses.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by sduskin View Post
    On my 2014 RT-S the OEM tire is 225/50R15 per the Can-Am website. The Michellin that folks are talking about is 215/60R15. Right?

So, What the numbers mean is:
    - tread section is 225 millimeters in width
    - sidewall height is 50% of the tread section measurement so 112.5 millimeters in height
    - R means its a radial tire
    - and 15 is the rim diameter in inches

These number are for an unmounted and unloaded tire.

So going from a 112.5mm sidewall (the 50%) height to a 129mm sidewall (the 60%) height makes the unloaded unmounted tire about 16.5mm wider from the center of the axle to the edge of the tire. This is just over 1/2 inch. Going to the 225/60R15 will change the same measurement by 22.5mm. About 1 inch.

What I am driving at is this - if the "nanny" allow up to a 10% variance for treadwear, over/under-pressure, etc. then the 215/60R15's probably will NOT trigger the codes. Conversely, I can easily see the 225/60R15 causing issues as it is at the 10% variance I am assuming the nanny has.

I am new to Spyders and as I have almost 3700 miles on my current rear tire I read everyone's comments very thoroughly. I will probably have to my tire relatively soon.

I think it would be VERY interesting to have round-table discussions with the various engineers at BRP as to why they did some of the things they did...

Thank you, everyone for your insights, opinions, and responses.
    ..........Lots of numbers here ....to simplify are you saying the difference between a 215/60 and a 225/60 tire, is 1/2 inch in height ( measured from the axel ) ..........IMHO I don't think so and I don't think the difference what ever it is .....is enough to trigger the Nanny ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ........When I was an LEO I went to school and learned about Hydroplaning in regards to accident investigation....It was extensively covered by some experts in the field.....The most important thing I learned was this :::..All tires can and will Hydroplane under the right circumstances. " lyonsden " if you think under the circumstances you described the OEM tire would not have Hydroplaned, you are mistaken. It is really a question of " WHEN " not if ......There are tires that are less prone to Hydroplaning ( winter tires, as an extreme example ) but even the Best of them lose their "edge" so to speak as the tread wears......IMHO, the largest factor in the Hydroplaning issue is the Spyder itself . The lighter the vehicle the more prone it is to " float " and what gives the Spyder great lateral traction ( holding ability in turning ) is the large "foot print " the tires have. This combination has more to do with "Hydroplaning" than the exact type of tire you have on the Spyder. Don't run any tires past the useful life of the tread ( because they will Hydro first ) and drive Smart.....When conditions deteriorate act accordingly and expect the " UNEXPECTED " .....This was not meant as a lecture, I just hope this helps everyone understand ...." HYDROPLANING " a little better .......Mike
    I don't take it as a lecture. I appreciate the information. I am basing my opinion on my own experiences. When I had the OEM tire on and it had about 4000 miles on it we came back from Spyderfest in pouring down rain. 2 up pulling the trailer. I zoomed along at 65 to 68 mph no problems at all. (I will say between me an my wife we weighed about 100 lbs more at this time.) When that same tire was bald in the center I rode it to Sioux Falls SD in the rain 1 up and it hydroplaned bad. The hydroedge hydroplaned really bad in HEAVY rain and still had lots of tread. So, is it the tire or less weight, I don't know for sure. I do know it is not something I want to experience again so I will be putting the OEM tire back on for long trips.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

Default Michelin HydroEdge Radial Tire - 215/60R15 93T

Where can I purchase this tire at? Went on the Amazon site and ask me to verify the auto first before allowing me to purchase it.

John

Spyder Garage

Default how about a michelin defender

Seeing as how the Hydro edge is discontinued how about the Defender as a replacement??? I got a Defender 215/60/15 but it appears to be much taller then the stock tire at 225/50/15.
    My stock tire lasted 7300 mi. I replaced it with a Somomoto 215/60/15. But as I remember the Somo was vary close to the same highth and circumference as the stock 225/50/15.
    When I stand the new Michelin Defender beside the original worn out stock tire the defender is a good 1.25 inches taller. Of course the stock tire is worn out and the defender is new and never mounted yet.
    Is anybody running the Michelin Defender 215/60/15 at present time yet.
    The Somomoto is a 75000 mi. tire. I now have 42000 mi on it Has worked great. Getting worn down, thinking of replacing with the Michelin Defender
    My bike is 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I am running the Michelin Premier A/S in 205/60-15 and so far (4000+ miles) it has performed fantastic. Very stable in rain including very hard rain and winds encountered on our way to Spyderfest. With the 205 compared to the 225 you louse 1" total with, but you will never miss it.

From Michelin website-
    "Safe When New. Safe When Worn. Even when half-worn, it's still safe thanks to EverGrip wet-braking technology. The MICHELIN® Premier® A/S tire still stops shorter on wet roads than leading competitors’ brand-new tires"
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    New tread depth .360
    Tread depth after 2500 miles .330
    difference .030

Estimated life .360 / .030 * 2500 = 30,800

So far tire handles nicely and good in rain
    Tread wear is not a constant. As the tire wears out the more rapidly is wears. Mileage will, most likely, be closer to 15-20k.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just to add to the fun, 19,000 miles on my 215/60/15 Michelin Primacy 6/32 of tread left and no: rubbing, scrubbing or hydroplaning.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default tire vetical size versus speedo reading

.................................Now my Question there are hundreds of Spyderlovers who are now and have been for quite some time using 215 /60-15 rear tires ......why arn't they throwing codes ??????????.........the difference between a 215 vs. 225 in 60 aspect ratio is about .025 % ................so I really don't think it's the tires.....................Question #2 , is it your opinion dealers and Their employee's are always truthful..................Mike
    The monitoring pick up sensor is not on the wheel--it's closer to the rim. Thus if all 3 tires have a larger diameter rubber the only error one will see is on the speedo. It doesn't get any simpler than that.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default Michelin HydroEdge Radial Tire - 215/60R15 93T

Looks I will need to replace the rear tire on our 2014 RT Limited soon and from what I read here, the Michelin HydroEdge Radial Tire - 215/60R15 93T is the tire of choice.

Has this tire been discontinued? If so, what would be the closest equivalent be?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.
    Last edited by Benggolf; 04-16-2018 at 11:23 PM.
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

Default Hydro - Edge Tire .........GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Looks I will need to replace the rear tire on our 2014 RT Limited soon and from what I read here, the Michelin HydroEdge Radial Tire - 215/60R15 93T is the tire of choice.

Has this tire been discontinued? If so, what would be the closest equivalent be?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.
    If you search on-line you might be able to find one ....however it will be at least 4 yrs old .... which is not terrible .... but it's getting there ..... Michelin has two tires that might actually be better than the Hydro-Edge ..... the Premier A/S ....and the New Defender T & H .....both are only available in 205/60-15 size but this isn't really an issue .......... both have excellent ratings and I would buy either one ..... Mike ......PS use a psi of 18 and they will preform at their best on any Spyder ................Mike

Spyder Garage

If you search on-line you might be able to find one ....however it will be at least 4 yrs old .... which is not terrible .... but it's getting there ..... Michelin has two tires that might actually be better than the Hydro-Edge ..... the Premier A/S ....and the New Defender T & H .....both are only available in 205/60-15 size but this isn't really an issue .......... both have excellent ratings and I would buy either one ..... Mike ......PS use a psi of 18 and they will preform at their best on any Spyder ................Mike

Thank you for your advice Blueknight911. Much appreciated.
    I just came across a couple of Michelin HydroEdge 215/60R16 94T (not 93T). What does 93T stand for?
    Will the 215/60R16 94T tire work?

They are asking $157.00 with free shipping. Reasonable? Thanks again for helping out.
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Thank you for your advice Blueknight911. Much appreciated.
    I just came across a couple of Michelin HydroEdge 215/60R16 94T (not 93T). What does 93T stand for?
    Will the 215/60R16 94T tire work?

They are asking $157.00 with free shipping. Reasonable? Thanks again for helping out.
    The 215/60R16will not work. You need a 15. The last number refers to the diameter (or rim size).

As for the 93T or 94T that refers to the load rating. Heather would have a bearing on a Spyder as both exceed the weight of a Spyder.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    The 215/60R16will not work. You need a 15. The last number refers to the diameter (or rim size).

As for the 93T or 94T that refers to the load rating. Heather would have a bearing on a Spyder as both exceed the weight of a Spyder.

Thank you PW2013STL for the clarification on what 93T and 94T is.
    Yes, you are right on the rim size; my typo-error.
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good to know, Mike.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My Michelin Hydroedge

I put a new Michelin Hydroedge 215/60R15 rear tire on my 2014 RTS at 6800 miles...It had 12/32" of tread in the center straight groove...At 15,500 it had 9/32" AND now at 22,000 it has 7/32"...It has 15,200 miles of use and has gone down 5/32 of an inch...So if everything keeps going at the same rate i should see about 30,000 miles on this tire...Which I think is GOOD...larryd

Spyder Garage

Default WEAR REPORT

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I put a new Michelin Hydroedge 215/60R15 rear tire on my 2014 RTS at 6800 miles...It had 12/32" of tread in the center straight groove...At 15,500 it had 9/32" AND now at 22,000 it has 7/32"...It has 15,200 miles of use and has gone down 5/32 of an inch...So if everything keeps going at the same rate i should see about 30,000 miles on this tire...Which I think is GOOD...larryd
    Mine is at 37,000 + and I'm not changing it soon .............. What psi are you running ?????? Thanks ..Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 22 psi

Mine is at 37,000 + and I'm not changing it soon .............. What psi are you running ?????? Thanks ..Mike

I try to set mine at 22 psi cold...The read wear is even across the full width of the tread...I always ride 2 up and frequently pull a trailer...

Spyder Garage

Default HYDRO-EDGE

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I try to set mine at 22 psi cold...The read wear is even across the full width of the tread...I always ride 2 up and frequently pull a trailer...
    OK, but I have mine at 17 psi and I'm very happy with traction and Comfort level that it provides .... tires are part of the suspension system .........and a tire designed to support 1500lbs +/- isn't going to be under-inflated at 17 psi, even with a Full load plus the trailer ( 40lb tongue weight )............. road surfaces differ and that will have more effect on wear than reasonable psi numbers ...... Thanks ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-20-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We put a Michelin Hydroedge on in later 2014. We now have 42,000 miles on it and it still is good for at least another 5,000 miles at least. Sure wish they still made this tire.