Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I probably don't correctly grasp your physical post surgery situation but if you bring the ends of both bars closer toward you (I read that "back") you are also going to bring the ends of the bars closer to each other (shortening the bar wing span so to speak) which would reduce the stretch of your wing span. I have never played with my bars to see the total adjustment range because I've always made changes in small increments to get the fit just right for me.
    I need them closer to each other but not closer to me. Closer to me (my body) causes a more upright seating position which I cannot do. Having them closer to each other relieves the stretch/reach required that is causing muscle tension between my shoulder-blades. The ideal configuration for me (in my mind----scary place; I know) would be closer together and about an inch or two forward of where the stock bars are now.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Bob, I've seen the Tri-Axis bars and it appears as though the only way to get the bars closer is to also have them move back. Due to my own post surgical back situation, I cannot do that. It puts too much vertical pressure on my lower back. Appreciate the suggestion and video just the same though.

I'm wondering if there were enough demand, BRP might consider width choices in handlebars; maybe even something that is a retro-fit. I'm not a real big guy (5'4") and the wide bars cause a lot of fatigue in the middle of my back and both shoulders due to my short "wing span".
    Because of the "composit" nature of the RT handle bars, I doubt BRP or anyone really would make alternative handlebars.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Because of the "composit" nature of the RT handle bars, I doubt BRP or anyone really would make alternative handlebars.

Bob
    You are probably right; but I do have an alternative plan for adding a new place to rest my hands, shoulders, back while on the open road. I'm already working out details --- in my mind.

Spyder Garage

Understand the problem now. I agree with Bob, if you found someone who would make the bar covers they would probably be very expensive.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob, I've seen the Tri-Axis bars and it appears as though the only way to get the bars closer is to also have them move back. Due to my own post surgical back situation, I cannot do that. It puts too much vertical pressure on my lower back. Appreciate the suggestion and video just the same though.

I'm wondering if there were enough demand, BRP might consider width choices in handlebars; maybe even something that is a retro-fit. I'm not a real big guy (5'4") and the wide bars cause a lot of fatigue in the middle of my back and both shoulders due to my short "wing span".
    As I understand it you need to lean forward some to keep your back comfortable and the spread of your arms is what you need to reduce. You're correct in that bringing the grips closer together on the Tri-axis bar brings them rearward also. But not only that but the angle of the grips with respect to the bike centerline changes so you have to turn your hands outward. That could cause your wrists be uncomfortable.

Be aware that if you bring your hands in closer to the pivot point of the handlebars you will increase the amount of push and pull required to steer. You know, the longer the lever the less the force required. Bringing the grips in toward the center 3" would probably be way too much.

I just looked at the stock handlebar center piece I took off. IMO any sort of inward adjustment just isn't practical with the stock handlebar nor with the Tri-axis bar. Your best bet would be to have a custom center piece built by a machinist/welder. That might even cost less than the Tri-axis handlebar. The hand grips are on tubes that are easily separated from the stock centerpiece so can be fastened to any custom center piece. Probably wouldn't look quite as good as the OEM, but sometimes beauty has to take second place to function. I also would be hesitant to try to modify the stock centerpiece since it is made of some die-cast metal that probably cannot be readily cut and welded and still be absolutely safe.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I read this post and wonder how do you know that you need a 1" adjustment?
    My neck has been bothering me lately on my rides. I just figured it was stress

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

would be closer together and about an inch or two forward of where the stock bars are now.
    Won't help much for riding in traffic but while "cruising", try holding the "bars" just to the INSIDE of the grip clusters.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I just looked at the stock handlebar center piece I took off.
    Back to the original question:
    This was asked WAY back there and never answered, or I didn't see it:
    Couldn't a "simple" riser be added at the center piece ?

Since you have one off maybe you could venture an educated guess.

Spyder Garage

Look on ebay for black ones that have a best offer. I got mine 1 year ago for 400.00 with free shipping still new in box. They were somewhere in California. A lot are just sitting on shelf's and they just want them gone. I did mine myself and I did not see of anyway you could add risers.
    Last edited by JP58; 12-10-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

It probably could be. Here's a pic of the bottom side of the center piece. The mounting plate on the top of the steering shaft is flat. There might be a problem with the ignition wires and the seat and frunk cables getting tight. The ignition switch mounts where you see the two holes on the flat piece.

Bottom side handlebar.jpg
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 12-11-2017 at 12:51 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

That is what I'm thinking but kind of opposite of IdahoMtnSpyder's goal. Like a set of bars that allow for a place just slightly forward and moved in to provide a spot to rest your hands but that would not have and controls on them. They would also need to be out of the way of all other controls and strong enough to steer the bike to full stop to stop positions; although the primary purpose would be as a "relief position" when cruising down the road on cruise control.

I already frequently rest my hands on the blanks spots just to the inside of the controls. While that does help some, it is not as comfortable as I would like. I'm thinking an add-on that would nearly or completely duplicate the OEM grips in a different position would be much better.

Now, I'm not an artist of any kind (especially with a computer) but where the blue lines are in the picture, try imagine a set of "handlebars" attached at the bottom and supported up the incline part of the original bars (possibly attached at a couple of points on the front side of the angled part) and extending maybe 1" to 1.5" above and in front of the controls on each side. There would only be some comfortable grips on them but no attempt to move controls. This is what I'm attempting to fabricate, but trying to do so in a way that does not alter the original bars in any way and is easily removable if need be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 12-11-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I already frequently rest my hands on the blanks spots just to the inside of the controls. While that does help some, it is not as comfortable as I would like. I'm thinking an add-on that would nearly or completely duplicate the OEM grips in a different position would be much better.
    You probably won't like my next comment.

I think the time and effort and $$$ expended on that would WAY exceed it's real value.
    But I can't really gauge YOUR degree of discomfort.

I think a lot of people these days, younger ones mostly, spend WAY too much time worrying about things not being EXACTLY as they want them.

I don't really blame them because their parent's generation taught them that they can have anything they want, exactly as they want and immediately if not sooner. BAD mistake. Hard to fix.

Spyder Garage

That is what I'm thinking but kind of opposite of IdahoMtnSpyder's goal. Like a set of bars that allow for a place just slightly forward and moved in to provide a spot to rest your hands but that would not have and controls on them. They would also need to be out of the way of all other controls and strong enough to steer the bike to full stop to stop positions; although the primary purpose would be as a "relief position" when cruising down the road on cruise control.

Now, I'm not an artist of any kind (especially with a computer) but where the blue lines are in the picture, try imagine a set of "handlebars" attached at the bottom and supported up the incline part of the original bars (possibly attached at a couple of points on the front side of the angled part) and extending maybe 1" to 1.5" above and in front of the controls on each side. There would only be some comfortable grips on them but no attempt to move controls. This is what I'm attempting to fabricate, but trying to do so in a way that does not alter the original bars in any way and is easily removable if need be.
    I'm pretty sure I understand what you're wanting to do, but two questions. Would you be comfortable having your hands and arms raised above the current level as they would need to be to give you clearance between the new grips and the handlebar? And second, do you think you would have your hands up there and not at the controls enough of the time to justify doing this? If the biggest share of your riding is out on the open road using cruise control then I can see this idea as a viable possibility. But, if much of your riding is around city streets or curvy roads which require operating the throttle and shift paddle, then I would be skeptical.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I'm 6'2". I have mine set full out and full foward. My tech calls it "moto x drag bars". Just gives me more room to move around as we ride two up alot. It's a stretch for some, but comfortable to me as I have a long reach.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

You probably won't like my next comment.

I think the time and effort and $$$ expended on that would WAY exceed it's real value.
    But I can't really gauge YOUR degree of discomfort.

I think a lot of people these days, younger ones mostly, spend WAY too much time worrying about things not being EXACTLY as they want them.

I don't really blame them because their parent's generation taught them that they can have anything they want, exactly as they want and immediately if not sooner. BAD mistake. Hard to fix.
    I appreciate the (mis)conception of me being young; especially at my age (63). I do want things exactly the way I want, but am not in a huge hurry to get it right away. As for expending a lot time and effort, it's sort of a hobby of mine to fabricate things I need, but I rarely spend a lot of money on my projects. I have fun being innovative and when something does not work out exactly as I intended, I still try to have learned from the process. It took at least six versions of building a custom seat to get one just right on my sport-touring bike several years ago. While I spent a lot of time and effort on it but very little money, I also learned a lot about what makes a good seat and what does not; both in type of material and shape. In the end the experience helped me to build my next two seats for different bikes on the first try and they turned out perfect.

Spyder Garage

I have fun being innovative and when something does not work out exactly as I intended, I still try to have learned from the process.
    I was just looking at the handlebar center piece. You mentioned putting your hands on the straight section inside of the controls but it's not completely comfortable. Is that because of how large those sections are? If you want to grip even closer to the center look at putting a piece of pipe between them. Cut the ends of the pipe at the proper angle and then bolt it to the handlebar. If the spread of hands gripping there is enough, I think you could fit a pipe piece in there without too much work. The only modification to the OEM handlebar would be a couple of holes for bolts.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I was just looking at the handlebar center piece. You mentioned putting your hands on the straight section inside of the controls but it's not completely comfortable. Is that because of how large those sections are? If you want to grip even closer to the center look at putting a piece of pipe between them. Cut the ends of the pipe at the proper angle and then bolt it to the handlebar. If the spread of hands gripping there is enough, I think you could fit a pipe piece in there without too much work. The only modification to the OEM handlebar would be a couple of holes for bolts.
    yeah, I've been eye-ballin' and old set of bicycle handle bars as an option for attaching sort of like you suggest. the way they are designed, it might be feasible to mount them in a way they would end up just about the way I have the horizontal part of my graphic above. I'm looking at a way to do it without drilling any holes though.

Spyder Garage

yeah, I've been eye-ballin' and old set of bicycle handle bars as an option for attaching sort of like you suggest. the way they are designed, it might be feasible to mount them in a way they would end up just about the way I have the horizontal part of my graphic above. I'm looking at a way to do it without drilling any holes though.
    In my judgment a couple of 1/4" or 5/16" holes would be worth the improved comfort level! And whenever you get rid of the Spyder you can plug them with push in plastic plugs or seal them up with black silicone rubber. Besides, the way I look at such things, when it's time to get rid of the Spyder it will be old enough that a pristine condition will not be expected and won't improve selling or trade in value all that much anyway! But, that's just me. I live by the philosophy that I own my Spyder to ride, not show off! Whenever showing off interferes with riding enjoyment, showing off always loses!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

In my judgment a couple of 1/4" or 5/16" holes would be worth the improved comfort level! And whenever you get rid of the Spyder you can plug them with push in plastic plugs or seal them up with black silicone rubber. Besides, the way I look at such things, when it's time to get rid of the Spyder it will be old enough that a pristine condition will not be expected and won't improve selling or trade in value all that much anyway! But, that's just me. I live by the philosophy that I own my Spyder to ride, not show off! Whenever showing off interferes with riding enjoyment, showing off always loses!
    I totally agree with the "it's my bike and I'll do what I want to it," philosophy. I'm just wanting to make sure there is absolutely nothing a dealer might use to say I voided the extended warranty. Have I mentioned I trust bike dealers about as much as I do used car salesmen, politicians and lawyers? So far two out of three BRP/Can Am dealers I have dealt with have proven to me they have very little real concern for customer satisfaction or are totally heartless with price gouging.

I've actually formed a pretty good plan now that will allow very solid attachment without drilling holes in any part of the bike.

As for farkles and showing off; that's not my cup-O-tea. I am an old school BMW guy who's primary attitude about bikes is "function over form." Fancy lighting, colorful wraps, etc. mean absolutely nothing to me. On the resale end of the deal, I typically don't worry much about that either; case/s in point--I own a 1984 Jeep Scrambler that I bought new in September of 1983. It now has over 250K miles on it and needs just a little TLC to be running again. Also in the 4-wheeled stable is a 2006 VW Jetta TDI (also bought new) with over 300K on it. Gotta get your money's worth out of things ya know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

it's sort of a hobby of mine to fabricate things I need,
    Good. That's quite different from expecting someone ELSE to fix everything that you don't like........and getting frustrated when that doesn't happen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm looking at a way to do it without drilling any holes though.
    How about a couple of pieces of stout rope, one tied to each end of the bars........so then you could ride it like a horse.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Spyder Garage

How about a couple of pieces of stout rope, one tied to each end of the bars........so then you could ride it like a horse.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

oooooooh! mmmmmmmaybe not

Spyder Garage

Ropes did you say?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 12-14-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

What about new grips?
    I was thinking that might stop some of the stress in our shoulders and neck