Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Modifying a stock handlebar

I want to check out the feasibility of modifying a stock handlebar to bring the grips back about an inch or two but I don't want to take mine off until I figure out if it can be done. Anyone have any idea if this is doable? I have a post in For Sale and WTB asking for one.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you buy the Tri-Axis Bars; all of the heavy lifting will have been done for you...
    Modifying the stockers...
    Remember: what you see... is just a cover!
    So you'd have to bend both the bars and the cover, and then hope that they match up okay...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you buy the Tri-Axis Bars; all of the heavy lifting will have been done for you...
    Modifying the stockers...
    Remember: what you see... is just a cover!
    So you'd have to bend both the bars and the cover, and then hope that they match up okay...
    I just checked the price. I was thinking they were on the order of a grand, but the black one is $650. At that price it may not be worthwhile trying to modify one, but it would still be interesting to look at the stock bar and see if it's feasible!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always wanted my grips aboutthree-quarters of an inch closer to me; the price of the bar (PLUS installation!), made it easy to just wallow in my misery...

Spyder Garage

I always wanted my grips aboutthree-quarters of an inch closer to me; the price of the bar (PLUS installation!), made it easy to just wallow in my misery...
    Same here Bob. The price is keeping this low on my farkle list. I would do the install myself and save that money but $650!!!!! If these were maybe $400 it would be an easier decision.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tri Axle Bars

I just hand them installed couple weeks ago. LOVE THEM !!!! Happy I went for it or spent for it!!!!
    Was pricey, but worth it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Same here Bob. The price is keeping this low on my farkle list. I would do the install myself and save that money but $650!!!!! If these were maybe $400 it would be an easier decision.

Bob

Spyder Garage

Default Seems like..!!

there is enough stuff out there to help out that modifing the bars is not needed. But will tell you bending the cover will not work...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    there is enough stuff out there to help out that modifing the bars is not needed. But will tell you bending the cover will not work...
    After my long rides these past 3 weeks I think having the grips back about 1 or 2" would help. My left elbow got to hurting. I put adapters on my Goldwing that brought the bars back and up and that helped a lot. I think it may help alleviate the lower back pain I encountered.

Modifying the handlebars would not be as simple as bending them. It would require cutting and machining and possibly welding, or some other way to reconnect the parts together. Don't know at this point if the handlebar metal can be welded or not. I'm sure it's cast, but from what?

If I could come up with a mod method that's workable and reliable and cost less than say $400 it might be worth making it available as an after market mod. The downside is that the adjustability of the tri-axis would not be available.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I did the triaxis bars, but have the original center bracket.

From the looks of it, you MIGHT be able to just take the controls off of the bar ends and then cut the bars. Install the pivoting riser like used on the RS/GS and then replace the bars themselves. Some kits come with replacement bars and some do not and just use the replacement bars used on sportbike clip-on type bars.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Doesn't someone make a riser that would do this?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Just got a deal on the Tri-axis bars that I could not pass up.

I will do a video on installing them should anyone ever decide to go for it.

Getting lots of help from folks here via PM that have done it before.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I will do a video on installing them should anyone ever decide to go for it.
    Any idea when you'll have that? I just got the tri-axis bars on a super deal and plan to install them probably next Wed.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Going with Tri-axis bar

I got a super deal on eBay from a liquidator. One of these 'make an offer' sales for a new bar kit but not in a factory box. I shot an offer of $450 to them expecting it to be rejected, but they took it! Now I just have to put it on. Hmm, wonder if I could have gotten it for $400?

Question for those who have done it. Is it really necessary to take off the entire console unit? Or can you change out the bar by just removing the center tupperware? It looks like in the instructions the whole upper part of the bike has to come off, including the windshield and headlights and the whole kit and kaboodle.

2014 Copper RTS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ebay address? would love to get one myself. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I got a super deal on eBay from a liquidator. One of these 'make an offer' sales for a new bar kit but not in a factory box. I shot an offer of $450 to them expecting it to be rejected, but they took it! Now I just have to put it on. Hmm, wonder if I could have gotten it for $400?

Question for those who have done it. Is it really necessary to take off the entire console unit? Or can you change out the bar by just removing the center tupperware? It looks like in the instructions the whole upper part of the bike has to come off, including the windshield and headlights and the whole kit and kaboodle.

Any chance of getting the address of the ebay location. Would love to get a set of those bars myself. Picking up my first spyder next Friday.
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to tell you this, but yes the console unit has to come off. It does remove as a complete unit, but for safety have someone help you move it.
    I did mine and did not know that the console could be removed as a single unit so I took it completely apart
    I helped Jim with his and he showed me about removing it as a complete unit. That saved a lot of time, but it still took us 5 hours to do it.
    Take your time it will be worth it
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Take your time - tri axis worth the $'s and time - IMHO

Here's some info. from a previous link of mine....I love these tri axis handlebars -- no more neck or upper back pain on long trips - worked well for me! Any questions, just ask. Good luck with your install.
    If you plan on doing this yourself, plan for a day of fun!

I had assistance from a fellow Spyderlover, Les (PW2013STL), who helped greatly as he had previously installed on his 2014 RT.

Long story short - very long process, not really complex, but instructions were lacking. You basically had to remove the front panels, console module, etc. NOT the frunk. Removing the console module is a key point when doing this project! Yes, you need to buy a new GPS bracket to mount the factory GPS to the Tri Axis base.

It took 2 of us about 5 hours to install -- maybe it took twice as long since we both worked on it!!

Here's a few pics for your enjoyment! Turned out great! And....a big "thank you" to Les for his help!
    Attached Thumbnails
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fishassassin View Post
    Any chance of getting the address of the ebay location. Would love to get a set of those bars myself. Picking up my first spyder next Friday.
    Thanks.
    I think this was a one time deal, but maybe not. The seller was liquidnation. Your best bet is to regularly search ebay. The
    best deal will be used, salvage, old stock clearance, etc. BRP won't allow dealers to advertise anything but MSRP on ebay for current items.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-30-2014 at 11:18 AM.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pics and info. I'm going to have to pull one, if not both, of the headlights. The headlight modulator and the relay I had to install to make it work are inside the frame the top console straddles!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Any idea when you'll have that? I just got the tri-axis bars on a super deal and plan to install them probably next Wed.
    I am leaving on vacation this Saturday so it's going to be a while.
    But I want these installed before my big ride up to Reading, Ca. so it will be soon. Not sure if you can wait.

The info provided by Jim is great stuff. Thanks Jim!

Also there are a couple videos removing the console unit done by Shawn Smoak on youtube.

High speed:

Another one low speed

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks for the info on the bars

I think this was a one time deal, but maybe not. The seller was liquidnation. Your best bet is to regularly search ebay. The
    best deal will be used, salvage, old stock clearance, etc. BRP won't allow dealers to advertise anything but MSRP on ebay for current items.
    As time permits I will keep searching.
    Thanks again.
    Really looking foreword to getting my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I realize this is a pretty old thread, but it looked like as good a place as any to ask my question.

I am pretty happy with the height and front to back placement of the handlebars on our 2014 RT, but I would like to have them about 3" closer together on each side. Is there a safe and economical way to do that? I did a couple of searches using the "Advanced Search" feature and came up with nothing. A video would be really great if someone has a link to one.

On another note: someone mentioned lower back pain and thought moving the bars back would help with that. Once upon a time, I worked as an exercise physiologist in back rehab. Before moving the bars back creating a more upright riding position, think about what that does to your spine. It puts more of your upper body weight right on top of your lower vertebrae. A slight forward lean at the waist is far safer for your lower back than sitting straight up. That position allows your spine to flex naturally with bumps and moves upper body weight forward a bit onto your hands, arms & shoulders. The down side (or upside depending on your perspective) of the forward position is it requires a little better physical conditioning to maintain for long periods of time while riding.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

After installing the tri-axis handlebars I am going to say there is no easy way to mode the stock handlebars. Not unless you have someone that is a good custom fabricator!

You can watch my videos on installing the tri-axis bars and see how the handlebars are assembled.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l-video-series

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Bob, I've seen the Tri-Axis bars and it appears as though the only way to get the bars closer is to also have them move back. Due to my own post surgical back situation, I cannot do that. It puts too much vertical pressure on my lower back. Appreciate the suggestion and video just the same though.

I'm wondering if there were enough demand, BRP might consider width choices in handlebars; maybe even something that is a retro-fit. I'm not a real big guy (5'4") and the wide bars cause a lot of fatigue in the middle of my back and both shoulders due to my short "wing span".
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Bob, I've seen the Tri-Axis bars and it appears as though the only way to get the bars closer is to also have them move back...and the wide bars cause a lot of fatigue in the middle of my back and both shoulders due to my short "wing span".
    I probably don't correctly grasp your physical post surgery situation but if you bring the ends of both bars closer toward you (I read that "back") you are also going to bring the ends of the bars closer to each other (shortening the bar wing span so to speak) which would reduce the stretch of your wing span. I have never played with my bars to see the total adjustment range because I've always made changes in small increments to get the fit just right for me.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S