Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default No Help In Kalispell

Note: This was written in Montana while on a 7000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies; I returned two days ago. I was unable to post it while on the road and will do so now. The contents is relevant even though I am home after a spectacular trip.

This is a story about two Jerry's. Jerry 1 works at the Kalispell, MT dealer. Jerry 2 is the Parts Manager at Addictive Powersports in Great Falls, MT. I came in contact with both Jerry's while trying to get a new rear tire on my 2014 Spyder. But I get ahead of myself.

My dealer warned me about getting a tire replaced. When I left NJ I had about 2500 miles on the original tire and I was undertaking a 6000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies. The tire would be worn down to the bars between 4000 and 5000 miles. Thus, Kalispell seemed a likely place to replace it.

Two days out (at Havre, MT) I called the Kalispell dealer and asked to speak to the Service Manager. I was told he was out but that I could speak to Jerry 1. He was not encouraging. I told him I was on a 6000 mile trip and that the tire was down to the bars. He said that all his mechanics were busy the day I wanted to bring it in. He also wasn't precisely sure he had a tire in stock. I mentioned that, unlike other bikes, I couldn't walk in just anywhere and get a tire installed. I noted that he was the only dealer in Kalispell so I was forced to take it there. He was unmoved though he did say he would check on whether he had a tire in stock and would call me back.

After I hung up I remembered that I had had almost the exact conversation with Jerry1 three years before while on a similar trip. Then I owned a 2008 Spyder GS and I was concerned about its clutch. When I called the dealer in 2012 I was told the Service Manager was not there but that I could speak to Jerry 1. No, he couldn't even look at the bike. No, all of his men were busy. He would call me back; he never did.

I was really stuck. The tire had to be changed. I was going into Canada and was unsure if there were dealers available. I had planned a year for this trip and it appeared that I would have to abandon my plans and head east to find a more helpful dealer.

Enter Jerry 2!

I noted from the Rattigan-Roger app that there was a dealer in Great Falls, MT. If I left the group I was with -- Country Roads Group Riding -- and dashed down to Great Falls, get the tire installed and then re-join the group in Kalispell, things would be fine. So, I called Addictive Powersports and spoke with Jerry 2, the Parts Manager.

Yes, they had a tire and, yes, the could work me in in the next morning promptly at 8:00 AM. They understood I was on the road and Jerry 2 said "they would do everything they could to get me back on the road."

I was there at 8:00, everyone there was genuinely concerned about the bike and the tour. The tire was mounted, put on the bike which was laser aligned and balanced. It took a bit over two hours.

What a difference! Jerry 1 could not have cared less about my problem. Jerry 1 had no other suggestions. Jerry 1 repeated the same script he used on me two years previously.

Jerry 2 cared about me and my Spyder. He understood that someone on the road can have really pressing problems and that they need immediate attention.

Here is the point: the dealer at Kalispell does not seemed concerned or helpful for those of us on the road. Addictive Powersports does and that makes all the difference.

A Note To BRP: If you are going to continue to advertise the Spyder as an "adventure" on the road then you should convince your dealers that it is good business to help us when we are in the adventure you want us to take.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jerry 1 needs to find other employment...
    Perhaps a stint in the fast-food industry would "sweeten" him up a bit!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Ken soooooo true

For those of us that travel ALOT on our Spyders...so nice to have a dealer that "get's it". As all know I am having on going tire issues on my 622 and BRP will only help if you can get to an authorized dealer....and when the closest such dealer is less than willing it makes for a difficult time...OK allll that said to say add Redding CA (Redding Yamaha Ski Do) Kenny Pendleton service manager to the GOOD GUY LIST.... I am needing (down to wear bars) 5th set of trailer tires...this set should get me home and to closest authorized CanAm dealer....I talk to Kenny late Friday afternoon (BRP was also in the loop...BRP is finallllly accepting that there is a problem with my tire eating trailer....albeit BRP gurus were absolutely sure that the correction made at Logan UT dealer---another GOOD GUY) on right side tow-in to 1.5mm was spot on). [sorry guru the proof is in the tire wear...close only works in horseshoes]....[yep I've reached my tolerance level with the trailer tires]...ok I digressed...BRP was going to send me south to Sacramento...I said nope cutting trip short bad trailer wins this one...just get me home and get this fixed. So enter Redding/Kenny...said be here Monday (yes they are open on Monday) at 8:30 a.m. when we open. Yep headed that way in an hour. So allllll that said to say put Redding CA on the good side of the board. I have found the majority of dealers to be helpful.....but have also experienced a similar response from Kalispell on smaller issue and decided they were on the "not so good side" of equation.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Just some advice for the future - when traveling in the West, one needs to look at where the dealers are - I doubt the dealer in Kalispell, MT sells many, if any Spyders, but a ton of ATVs, SxSs, and snowmobiles. He has to carry the entire line, to get what he wants, and may only have one Spyder (and NO parts or trained techs) in stock (want a REALLY good deal??). The larger cities probably have some Spyders on the road, and therefore techs and parts.

So, if you know where you are headed in advance, it would be worth a call to the dealer, and/or reach out to SpyderLovers well in advance to make sure this doesn't happen to someone again.

I've been to Kalispell several times on bikes and Spyders, but always make sure the only service I need is gas. It's a beautiful place to ryde, and the roads are terrific - but most of the locals aren't interested in expensive road toys.

Just sayin....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Happy ending..!!

glad you had spyder codes with you all who travel should. Fortunately there was someone else out there to help you and better yet someone good. Sounds like an amazing trip must have some great photos. If possible share a few with us....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Active Member Santa & Mrs Claus's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Service when traveling

We were heading to Spyders in the Redwoods a stop over in Edmonton,AB to visit our grandson occurred. When leaving the next day we had clutch problems and headed to Martens Motorsports before they opened at 8 AM. They let us in at 7:30AM(tuesday), by 11am the shop had fit us in and confirmed our clutch had to be replaced. The parts had to be ordered from Quebec and arrived on friday. They worked late that night to get us on the road(this was a friday of a long-weekend),the manger even missed his 25th wedding anniversary supper. They had some additional problems that meant the had to come in on Sat morning(two mech's, service manager) to finish the job(yes this is a long weekend).
    We can't say enough good things about Martens Motorsports in Edmonton, AB. The staff went the extra mile to help us when we were traveling.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Ken, I'm glad you were able to find a good dealer on your trip. You don't seem to have the best of luck on your trips with your Spyder. I think you should send your story to the owners of both the good and bad dealers. The bad dealer may be unaware of Jerry1 but more likely they are and don't care. A copy to BRP may also help.

How does your rear tire look after you got home? Curious if you are ready for tire #3 already.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Jerry 1 only operates as described with the blessing of the ownership and management of that dealership. It appears that the Spyder might not be at the pinnacle of interest with this particular dealerships management or ownership.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default No Help in Kalispell

[QUOTE=kentompkins;859497]Note: This was written in Montana while on a 7000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies; I returned two days ago. I was unable to post it while on the road and will do so now. The contents is relevant even though I am home after a spectacular trip.

Thanks for your thoughtful post. IMO, such posts that contain facts, not innuendo, are very helpful to this group. They help us make informed decisions about where to do business, who to avoid, who to patronize. It would be wonderful if we could find a way to create a list of dealers that deserve our business and those should be avoided.
    2016 Freewheeler

2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White (SOLD)

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the thoughtful post and I was also thinking it would be a good idea to have a list of cooperative dealers with facts supporting that decision. I know the good/bad dealer discussion has gone around a few times.

[QUOTE=rgk;859607]
    Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post
    Note: This was written in Montana while on a 7000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies; I returned two days ago. I was unable to post it while on the road and will do so now. The contents is relevant even though I am home after a spectacular trip.

Thanks for your thoughtful post. IMO, such posts that contain facts, not innuendo, are very helpful to this group. They help us make informed decisions about where to do business, who to avoid, who to patronize. It would be wonderful if we could find a way to create a list of dealers that deserve our business and those should be avoided.
    Dan

2014 RT-S SE6, 2012 RT-622 trailer

Spyder Garage

RE: Original Post

Thank you for posting information about the dealer in Kalispell MT.

It is obvious they either don't get it, or just plain don't care. I would be avoiding that particular dealer like the plague.

This is an ongoing issue and can be a problem with 's on the road. A few bad dealers, can make for an unpleasant situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Kent PowerSports in San Antonio vs. Woods Cycle Country, New Braunfels

We bought BajaRons sway bar a month or so ago and were finally ready to get it put on. I called Woods Cycle Country in New Braunfels, tx to verify that they would do the installation. I was told by the head service tech that they wouldn't do it because if something happened it would void warranty. My husband has had very good luck w/ them in the past so he gave them a call and got the exact same response. My husband emailed BajaRon stating this issue. BajaRon got right back with him in an email stating that he would even speak to the tech at Woods Cycle Country to smooth things out. The tech at Woods was having none of it and even stated that they don't do aftermarket parts because they are trouble down the road.

Enter Kent Motorsports in off of I-35 San Antonio. They would install it and would do it 1st thing Sat. morning. We arrived a bit late so we lost our place in line but also notice the rear tire needed replacing so went ahead and got both done and out by that afternoon!

It's amazing the difference in attitude and attention. Woods couldn't be bothered, Kent couldn't do enough!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. SmallPasture View Post
    We bought BajaRons sway bar a month or so ago and were finally ready to get it put on. I called Woods Cycle Country in New Braunfels, tx to verify that they would do the installation. I was told by the head service tech that they wouldn't do it because if something happened it would void warranty. My husband has had very good luck w/ them in the past so he gave them a call and got the exact same response. My husband emailed BajaRon stating this issue. BajaRon got right back with him in an email stating that he would even speak to the tech at Woods Cycle Country to smooth things out. The tech at Woods was having none of it and even stated that they don't do aftermarket parts because they are trouble down the road.

Enter Kent Motorsports in off of I-35 San Antonio. They would install it and would do it 1st thing Sat. morning. We arrived a bit late so we lost our place in line but also notice the rear tire needed replacing so went ahead and got both done and out by that afternoon!

It's amazing the difference in attitude and attention. Woods couldn't be bothered, Kent couldn't do enough!
    Respectfully,
    The refusal to install aftermarket parts is a matter of policy as administered by an independent franchisee. It is not a failure to provide adequate customer service and IMO, should not be held against a dealer who announces the policy upfront. Sadly, the merit and safety of some aftermarket parts may be the subject of litigation at some time and the refusal of a dealer to install aftermarket parts is a conservative but legally justifiable position.
    No offense intended.
    2016 Freewheeler

2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White (SOLD)

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Curious, who was the dealer? I had my Spyder worked on in Kalispell. JESCO Power and Marine replaced my Y-gasket and threw on a complete set of brake pads much to my satisfaction. Now, to be fair, I knew those parts needed replacing from our last stop in Washington State. So a week ahead I called JESCO and gave them the heads up and scheduled an appointment several days in advance.

I needed a rear tire in Rapid City and luckily Rice Honda had it in stock and were able to take care of it the next day. It's hit or miss with service departments, especially a place like Kalispell where the dealer is not an exclusive Spyder dealer but also handles Can Am water craft, ATVs etc. Their schedules get filled and it's often the goodwill of the service manager to try and fit in any "emergency" ad-hoc repair orders.
    Last edited by asp125; 08-20-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rgk View Post
    Respectfully,
    The refusal to install aftermarket parts is a matter of policy as administered by an independent franchisee. It is not a failure to provide adequate customer service and IMO, should not be held against a dealer who announces the policy upfront. Sadly, the merit and safety of some aftermarket parts may be the subject of litigation at some time and the refusal of a dealer to install aftermarket parts is a conservative but legally justifiable position.
    No offense intended.
    Dealerships are like every other service oriented business. They vary due to what ownership and management deem important. Installing aftermarket parts is just one aspect. But it is hard to believe they install NO aftermarket items. Probably just those that they are unfamiliar with.

There are dealerships that refuse to install my sway bar kits. And there are other dealerships that put my Sway Bar kit on new show room demo Spyders right out of the crate because the dealership feels that they sell better that way.

Here is my take on it.
    #1 - It's their dealership. They put up the money and effort to put together a multi-million dollar operation. If it fails they are going to suffer big time. As such they should be able to run it the way they see fit.
    #2 - If the dealership is honest and up front about what they do, what they won't do, and why, refusing certain requests does not necessarily constitute bad customer service.
    #3 - Every dealership has strengths and some have weaknesses. For a dealership to avoid those areas where they are weak is actually doing the customer a favor.
    #4 - I've found it is not a good idea to try and convince a dealership to do something they don't feel comfortable with. It's best to do what you did. Find a dealer who knows the product and feels good about doing the work.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-18-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Yup!

I live in great falls and love addictive power sports! they have always been very accommodating on any issue i have had with my spyder!
    2013 Silver RS SE5
    Mods: 23 in windshield, Zumo 660 and mount, 2go cup holder, BRP comfort seat, throttle lock, alignment, RS-ST handlebar swap
    2700 miles and loving every minute!

Spyder Garage

Default No offense taken

Quote Originally Posted by rgk View Post
    Respectfully,
    No offense intended.
    No offense taken and no disrespect meant towards Woods. But we contacted Ron and he offered to talk with Woods on the installation and history of no problems with the product, but they were not receptive and claimed that it would void warranty. Understand their position, but we have had a long relationship with them and they've installed after market risers on my husband's Kawasaki Concourse 14. We were just disappointed. Again, respect their decision and we will be using Kent Powersports in the future. Just passing on information.

Spyder Garage

Default And big Kudos to BajaRon!

Can not thank you enough for your stellar Customer Service! My husband can not say enough kind words about you. He will be picking it up this week and I can't wait to get on it and not work so hard keeping up with him in the Hill Country! Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. SmallPasture View Post
    No offense taken and no disrespect meant towards Woods. But we contacted Ron and he offered to talk with Woods on the installation and history of no problems with the product, but they were not receptive and claimed that it would void warranty. Understand their position, but we have had a long relationship with them and they've installed after market risers on my husband's Kawasaki Concourse 14. We were just disappointed. Again, respect their decision and we will be using Kent Powersports in the future. Just passing on information.
    The warranty thing is bogus and I was pretty sure they did not have a blanket policy of not installing aftermarket products. Some dealerships that have had concerns have called me and after speaking with them and also referring them to other dealerships who are very familiar with my products, they have done the work that you requested. So I always offer. It's not so much about selling my product as doing what I can to get good service for the owner. After all, that's what it's all about. I know that may sound trite but that is really how I feel about it.

Thank you very much for your kind words. You are great customers. I love those resourceful customers who are able to take lemons and make lemon-aide.

Spyder Garage

Woods are not really good at all. Had to ordered parts for my 14, it took the 2 mo to get it done. The outher deal in San ant order the same and go it in 2 days. Woods is off my call for any help. The owner also was rude to me about parts. So woods, have a great life in the dirt.........

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Shewhoprays's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Very interesting thread. This is exactly the kind of thing my hubby and I were talking to BRP about at the Owner's Event over lunch. Dealers are so different and many REALLY lack any customer service genes. Before BRP allows a dealership to sell their product they need to do some research into that dealership. I have gone on many trips and met a number of X spyder owners - all due to poor customer service and lack of knowledge at the dealership level. This really reflects poorly on BRP.

Spyder Garage

Default My story

I just returned from a near 7,000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies and several western parks. I needed an oil change in Rapid City, SD and called Rice Honda several days before I would arrive. This was right at the end of Sturgis. The fellow I spoke to was not very encouraging about getting me in, but said to come wait in line on Monday morning. I arrived about 15 minutes before the official opening time and the door to the service counter was open so I went in. The guy behind the counter had a completely different attitude than the one I spoke to a few days before. He got me right in and I was on my way by 11:00 AM. Rice is a multi-franchise dealer, and it doesn't look like Spyders are a major seller, (there wasn't one Spyder on the showroom floor) but they came through for me and I left a happy camper. Sometimes it takes talking to a different person at the dealership to get things done.

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Ken, Just found your post.......have been absent from the forum pretty much lately due to a lot of busy things going on. Very glad to hear that you were able to get your tire installed at Jerry 2's dealership and were able to go on with your trip. Also glad to hear it turned out to be a great trip for you.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I purchased my 2014 RT from addictive power sports 30 days ago. I had to have ignition and antenna replaced under warranty. They have been great to work with. I now have to go in for my 3000 mile service and the got me in on Monday. Would recommend them if you are in Montana.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default A Need To Consolidate Information

This topic reads like An Adventure In Finding The Right Dealership For Service. This could also apply to Sales, too. For the ease of either planning a long trip, or being in the midst of one, a single source of dealership(s) names providing positive experiences would be invaluable in one location on this forum. For those of us who have had the experience of needing service on the road, you know what I'm talking about.
    Just making a suggestion.
    Mike