Spyder Garage

Default Speaker connection

Is it possible to connect a headphone jack directly to the speaker wires ? That is something I would like to have as I cannot hear the radio because of severe hearing loss............

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by manxman View Post
    Is it possible to connect a headphone jack directly to the speaker wires ? That is something I would like to have as I cannot hear the radio because of severe hearing loss............
    I have never seen a " raw " ( female ) jack such as you are referring to..........however, electrically speaking if you connect the + and - terminals correctly you should hear music......................But it will be MONO.................I also have hearing loss ( from work ) and I swapped the OEM speakers to 4 X 5.25" JBL 2-OHM speakers. They will hurt your ears at full volume but sound clean and clear....Mike ....................PS - - If you happen to be going to SPYDERQUEST in Sept. you can hear them in person.......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If they make a stereo jack; you could hook in one of those. You would just need to get to both front (or rear) speakers to run the wiring...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The speaker output is way to high for earbuds or connecting to a device that expects an earbud level output.
    You can get devices that will drop this output level but they are not cheap.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

What if helmet speakers were used instead of earbuds? Would the output level still be too high? I have considered the same.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    The speaker output is way to high for earbuds or connecting to a device that expects an earbud level output.
    You can get devices that will drop this output level but they are not cheap.

Bob
    He DID mention a severe hearing loss...
    Sorry... it slipped out.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

if you want to get music from the radio into your helmet. IMHO the best solution is to go wireless (Bluetooth). The most common way is to install a Sena SM10 into your Spyder. That will transmit a wireless signal to a bluetooth headset installed into your helmet.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheDiver View Post
    What if helmet speakers were used instead of earbuds? Would the output level still be too high? I have considered the same.
    Todays Helmet speakers are also low signal input. They are piezo type speakers.
    Old style stereo headphones you put over your head had small REAL speakers in them but good luck using them in a helmet as they are way too big.

As Billy said. Sena SM10 and a cable to connect it to the radio. You can make the cable (see the DIY section) or order it all from Motorcycle Dave.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did a set up with my old home stereo way back when, to use headphones to listen. I just used a female jack and connected the speaker wires to the appropriate connections. Worked perfect. Today, I would think you could use the 1/8 size male/female jacks that are common today. I also used a set of Technics headphone speakers to fit inside a helmet for my old Goldwing. I just detached the speakers & tossed the rest of the headset. I spliced them to a J&M headset. The fidelity from the Technics were much better than the J&M & a little Velcro on the backs held them in perfectly. You may have to do a little cutting inside the helmet to fit but it can be done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EX Dragonrider View Post
    I did a set up with my old home stereo way back when, to use headphones to listen. I just used a female jack and connected the speaker wires to the appropriate connections. Worked perfect. Today, I would think you could use the 1/8 size male/female jacks that are common today. I also used a set of Technics headphone speakers to fit inside a helmet for my old Goldwing. I just detached the speakers & tossed the rest of the headset. I spliced them to a J&M headset. The fidelity from the Technics were much better than the J&M & a little Velcro on the backs held them in perfectly. You may have to do a little cutting inside the helmet to fit but it can be done.
    Again what you did back in the day worked because the headphones you used were high impedance like speakers! Most headphones in the old days were not like today with low impedance piezo style speakers!
    Jack size does not change the impedance. It's just a connection.

Trust me... If you take today's headphones or earbuds and hook them to speaker output it will eaither blow the piezo speakers, the radios AMP, or will sound distorted like the bass is way too high. Even turning the volume way down on the speakers will not work well. They are being over driven. The biggest thing to worry about is blowing the AMP in the radio. Speakers are high impedance and whern you hook something like earbuds to them, it's almost like shorting the AMP output.

But feel free to try it..... OR find some high impedance headphones.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default More info for you

Here, read this on the difference between headphones (today) and speakers and trying to connect them.

They even tell you how to do it using resistors and making a voltage divider.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com...r-amp-adapter/

Bob