Spyder Garage

Default spyder to car communications

My wife will be driving our car and I will drive the spyder from Mn to Ca this fall. We have Scala rider helmet to helmet communications when we are both on the spyder but I was wondering if there is another option for when she is driving the car. Her wearing the helmet while driving was a firm NO! We will be on the road for about 4 days. We do have cell phones which will work if we get separated but less than ideal. Normally the spyder is on a trailer behind the motorhome and the wife is in the co-pilots seat in the motorhome. The car cannot tow a trailer. Any suggestions.?

Spyder Garage

Default ALL YOU

ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS 'TAP' THE CENTER BUTTON ON TOP, AND TELL YOUR SCALA TO CALL "X" X = YOUR WIFES PHONE NUMBER, OR ANYONE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER.... AND SHE WILL RECEIVE A PHONE CALL FROM YOU....
    THAT IS, IF SHE HAS HER PHONE WITH HER, AND IF YOU HAVE HER PHONE NUMBER PLUGGED INTO YOUR SYSTEM.....
    DRIVE/RIDE SAFELY......

Spyder Garage

We use the Sena set and in the car I put the cell phone in a holder on the dash and either use a blue tooth head set or hard patch wire through the speakers in the car. Voice dial.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

is there a 3.5 mm input jack on the scala???? If there is, any cell phone headphones will fit. or get fancy with a single ear piece with a boom mic.

Grandpa Pete
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

My $0.02

The problem with cell phone calls from a helmet can be plenty ranging from wind noise making voice recognition calling difficult or cell service dead zones making connecting the call difficult to lastly the lag time for connecting calls is frustrating when time is a factor or the dreaded dead battery.
    what I have done in the past was use an old headset and wire in the senna system so that you had what looked like a telephone headset with a boom mic and the senna mounted to it (or the toggle button tangling remotely with wires) so that communication was much quicker and effective. The only real downside is the range of the senna system but in that case you still have blue tooth cell capabilities as a back up.
    Id you have time buy an extra senna set with mic and speakers and you can easily rig something up and just clip the second senna into it when needed and back into the helmet when you go riding
    And example
    http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A0302...F5W8ZSXKNXYSFF

note: try to avoid wearing the helmet in the car

Good luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There has GOT to be a way for her to have a ScalaRider unit in the car with her...
    It might be in-elegant; but it only has to work!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default car to spyder

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There has GOT to be a way for her to have a ScalaRider unit in the car with her...
    It might be in-elegant; but it only has to work!
    That is what I am looking for. The newer Scala half helmet has a 3.5mm port. Just don't know if it supports a small speaker. Even if the communication is one way that would work. Cell coverage is spotty or non-existent in some areas. Range of Scala could be a problem but on open roads seems to be a good quarter mile. Thanks for the suggestions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What if you took a set of headphones, looped the speaker off of one side, grafted a pad with a spot on the center for the "helmet" speaker on the Scala?
    Shoot; attaching the unit to the framework of the headphones could be pretty easy...

Spyder Garage

Do you have a CB on the Spyder ? If not quit here, costs way to much to install on a Spyder for just this.

If you have a CB on the Spyder, you can go to Wal Mart or places like that, buy a hand held unit and mag mount attenna for the car.
    Channel 19 is the road channel, but the langauge can get rough at times. Just go to a different channel, 40 available.

Some groups, like Gold wing riders use to call each other on the road or travel in groups to stay together. Other just plain hate the blasted things. I like mine.
    Good Luck and have a safe trip
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Midland makes some good GMRS radios . . . the group I ride with uses them for the lead, sweep, and road captain positions to stay in touch . . . you could mount on on your handlebars and put the other in the car . . . https://midlandusa.com/two-way-radios/

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    My wife will be driving our car and I will drive the spyder from Mn to Ca this fall. We have Scala rider helmet to helmet communications when we are both on the spyder but I was wondering if there is another option for when she is driving the car. Her wearing the helmet while driving was a firm NO! We will be on the road for about 4 days. We do have cell phones which will work if we get separated but less than ideal. Normally the spyder is on a trailer behind the motorhome and the wife is in the co-pilots seat in the motorhome. The car cannot tow a trailer. Any suggestions.?

Suggest you might want to purchase a portable FRS two way radio. set both units to the same channel and you are good to go. No real need to mount it. Just put it in some accessible place where you can reach it with your left hand and you have a simple and inexpensive tool to have two way communications with your significant other.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if Scala makes them but SENA makes a headset for people that don't wear helmets.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider

You could always give them a call, and see what they suggest.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    That is what I am looking for. The newer Scala half helmet has a 3.5mm port. Just don't know if it supports a small speaker. Even if the communication is one way that would work. Cell coverage is spotty or non-existent in some areas. Range of Scala could be a problem but on open roads seems to be a good quarter mile. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Take a look at something like the Blue Piston speaker. It's powered, connects with either a cable or BT, and has a microphone in it. Should be a good substitute for headphones. It has a rechargeable battery and connects to power via USB.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Midland makes some good GMRS radios . . . the group I ride with uses them for the lead, sweep, and road captain positions to stay in touch . . . you could mount on on your handlebars and put the other in the car . . . https://midlandusa.com/two-way-radios/
    We use the Midland on the wife's Burgman trike and my Honda has one built in and it works very good. If you get separated for a longer distance you still have communication. I have one also that I can take in the car to keep in touch with her.

Spyder Garage

It looks like to me now that Sena has rolled out their 5.0 update for their headsets you can pair with an ordinary Bluetooth like is for your cellphone. The person in the car could wear one of these and be able to talk. Something you might want to check into. I haven't tried it. Below is an image for the user guide for sena headsets.
    Capture.JPG

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

I took a long trip to Main last year wife in car with kayaks and lugage me on spyder. I took her headset off of her helmet and riged it onto a baseball hat. was easy to do and worked great. When we got there just switched back

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My son (in the "tech business") says there are walkie-talkie apps for smart phones...

You might want to google it to see what is out there.

Just a suggestion, and my son is not saying for certain they are worth anything...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Elixirmixer and I order and Sena helmet kit - this one

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A0304...M2P5RQ6BVNXEAJ

and a telephone headset that had a boom mic attached.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We plugged in the telephone headset (used those speakers for hearing) and use mic from Sena kit wrapped around the boom mic on the telephone headset - to speak back and forth. Just press the Sena to connect or disconnect as normal unless you have it set up for voice control. Worked well our whole trip.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Spyder Garage

Here is the unit the requires no helmet that Sena sells - expensive but may fit the bill :

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...adset-intercom
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Get two cheap GMRS radios and a headset for you that plugs into the radio you can wear it while riding the spyder.

We use CB s portable one in the car and the spyder RT has a wired cb/comm system.

Spyder Garage

what about cb radios...is there one on your spyder??
    gary (τΏτ)

2010 can am spyder RTS-SE5 limited... #0058
    timeless black
    lighting by .......Big Dog Productions
    pin striping by..Letterfly
    exhaust by.......Spyder1attitude
    strobe brake lights by...Custom Dynamics
    K & N air filter