Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I just don't understand

Yes, I am an old guy, but am heavily into tech, and enjoy it (after all, I ryde a Spyder). However, I read post after post about "communications packages". I don't understand why anyone would ever want one - other than, perhaps, a cop on a Spyder.

I ryde to "get away" and enjoy the small amount of time where all senses are engaged in a pleasurable activity - at my age, one of the few left. Anyway, if I want/need to talk to my SO, and she's with me, I can pull over, and enjoy the conversation in a spot we've probably never been in before. I never want to talk to someone else while riding, certainly never want to hear my phone (locked away in the trunk!!), and could care less what the GPS wants to squawk. I will admit to occasionally enjoying tunes from my iPod, but never the radio while ryding (too distracting). Are the people who want these things the same ones who text while driving? Perhaps they don't have the nuts on the road that we do??

I do understand there are different strokes for different folks, but perhaps you could just settle in and enjoy HIS gifts to you instead. Just a thought from the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not everyone's SO rides with them. My wife is deathly afraid of motorcycles and will never get on one. I don't carry on conversations while riding, but have a UClear Bluetooth so if she calls me, I know it and can respond . . . walk in another's shoes before judging how others live their lives . . .
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Yes, I am an old guy, but am heavily into tech, and enjoy it (after all, I ryde a Spyder). However, I read post after post about "communications packages". I don't understand why anyone would ever want one - other than, perhaps, a cop on a Spyder.

I ryde to "get away" and enjoy the small amount of time where all senses are engaged in a pleasurable activity - at my age, one of the few left. Anyway, if I want/need to talk to my SO, and she's with me, I can pull over, and enjoy the conversation in a spot we've probably never been in before. I never want to talk to someone else while riding, certainly never want to hear my phone (locked away in the trunk!!), and could care less what the GPS wants to squawk. I will admit to occasionally enjoying tunes from my iPod, but never the radio while ryding (too distracting). Are the people who want these things the same ones who text while driving? Perhaps they don't have the nuts on the road that we do??

I do understand there are different strokes for different folks, but perhaps you could just settle in and enjoy HIS gifts to you instead. Just a thought from the road.

Different strokes for different folks but I kinda enjoy having my wife on the other end of my SENA communications device. She is on her Spyder and I on mine as we cruise the countryside.... the only way to communicate otherwise is by hand signals. We comment to each other on the scenery, the nutty motorists we see and try not to engage, road hazards coming up we may not otherwise notice, and generally comment on the good feeling of being in the wind.

She is my "get away"companion in everything we do.... be it kayaking, horseback riding, competing at the shooting range or especially riding our Spyders. I enjoy our conversations!!
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree with Hayfield. My wife rides her own Spyder. If we're on an extended ride we have our comm sets on. That way if we get separated in traffic or need to communicate something, we can. Although you are certainly entitled to your comment, I don't care for "Are the people who want these things the same ones who text while driving? "

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep to each his own.
    For me music goes with the road and scenery! Pick the right song for the road and it all clicks well

My wife rides with me and it is great to talk to each other when needed rather than trying to yell. I assume you don't talk to your Wife while in the car?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

My wife used to ride along but physical issues have, for the present time, precluded her from doing so. We have the Sena SMH10R on our helmets. The intercom is always open as we exchange comments about everything from the beautiful scenery we are riding through to the cager who just tried to ruin our day.

One such occasion was during the fall a couple years ago heading south on 65 through MO into AR. The beauty of that ride was only enhanced by our narrative of what each of us saw. It was therapeutic too since we were both dead tired from the previous day of wind and rain as we fought our way out of NE and IA.

The GPS leaves me alone until I need to do something. I'm glad it's on board 'cause I've gotten lost in my surroundings a time or two. The cell phone stays in the trunk. No one has anything so important to say that it can't wait. That's just me though.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Actually, not trying to bash anyone - just really never understood the need on a bike. I enjoy long rides alone, away from the clatter & demands of normal daily activities - after a particularly nasty day, I will take a 100+ mile detour through the foothills to get home - alone with the road. Guess Jack Reacher is my hero..

Spyder Garage

Agree with different strokes for different folks, but...

Hubby and I have never had headset communication and never will. We use hand signals and chat about what happened on the road at the gas station. On the road, if I have something to say, he can hear me loud and clear over my pipes.

We like to ride together, but each of us is in our own little world, enjoying the ride.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We use the SENA Bluetooth headsets to talk as we each ride our own bikes. It is nice to tell the person behind you what is on the road nails, glass, potholes or such. If you don't like it that's great, but don't say I would endanger anyone by texting while driving. Besides with Bluetooth and a smart phone I can text by speaking!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

to me...having communication between Mark and I just makes riding easier...we know what the other needs...we rarely talk...just when we need something

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Actually, not trying to bash anyone - just really never understood the need on a bike. I enjoy long rides alone, away from the clatter & demands of normal daily activities - after a particularly nasty day, I will take a 100+ mile detour through the foothills to get home - alone with the road. Guess Jack Reacher is my hero..
    I got into a rather heated discussion a couple of Months ago, when I got caught chastising a member who was upset with his inability to "Bluetooth" everything togerher on his bike.
    He was probably right; it works for him, but not for me...
    I don't have to understand why somebody wants something that I don't.. just as long as they don't expect me to have to like what they're doing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I believe that four eyes are better then two front and rear. Think about it.
    Last edited by CJ/johnnyg; 08-17-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

I thoroughly enjoy my Sena when I ride. I can talk to my husband if needed, listen to some of my favorite songs instead of hearing the engine, and the GPS keep me on track. By the way.......Talking is NOT texting. If someone chooses to be completely unplugged when riding that is their choice. Me I love sharing the ride with those I care about.

Spyder Garage

I can understand where Dragonrider is coming from. I value the sound of the road and rarely listen to music on a trip. Still, we use the Sena for intercom when my wife is on the back. There are often long periods of silence (which I think we both appreciate) but it's good to be able to talk when we want too. Plus she's spotted a deer on the side of the road that I missed more than once.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default To each his own..!!

I have the G9 and connected but only use the intercom with the wife. Sometimes it's a must. Have 92 year old home and emergencies do happen. If single probably would only use the mp3 cause good music on the open highway just goes hand in hand...jmo..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Just another 2 cents

I usually ride with my wife behind me and our trips are usually longer ones but even on short ones we like being able to talk to each other on our Sena's. We don't receive phone calls nor get GPS directions via blue tooth. We do like having some music especially on road trips.
    We both wear full face modular helmets and trying to talk to each other with them on is a lot more challenging (read distracting) without headsets than with. Besides, there are times when communicating is important and having to be trying to hear each other with no comm system is taking my focus away from our safety. And yes, sometimes she sees something that I missed. Having said that we like to be able to communicate, there are times when barely a word is spoken for sometimes hours at a time.

No, we would never text and drive/ryde. Nothing burns my butt than seeing people doing that.

Gary

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where is it written that you have to understand what I do or anyone else does. You are not entitled.

Spyder Garage

Hey! What can I say, other than everyone is right above.

It is different strokes for different folks, and we all have our individual takes on subjects.

No way would I invest in an expensive package. I do like to listen to some country music on the radio--once in awhile. Love driving up Eklutna Lake Rd between the mountains, the road to myself, the scenery, the smells, and maybe a little Merle Haggard to keep me company.

When riding with Akspyderlady, I keep in contact with her via Sena helmet communicators. I communicate road information, heads up information, and my intentions about the ryde. Most rydes for us are no particular destination and they develop as we go down the road. We don't jabber a lot, but it is there if we need it, or just want to comment on the scenery or such. She also likes the country music, so sometimes we are both listening to Merle or someone similar. (We both like the older stuff, and there is a great station here that plays it). I have never used the radio on the 's for any other stations or settings.

I sure cannot fault Dragonrider or any others for their opinions if they differ from mine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I do like to listen to some country music on the radio--once in awhile. Love driving up Eklutna Lake Rd between the mountains, the road to myself, the scenery, the smells, and maybe a little Merle Haggard to keep me company.
    Me too. If it ain't Country, it ain't music! But I do turn it off when things start getting congested.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Yep to each his own.
    For me music goes with the road and scenery! Pick the right song for the road and it all clicks well

My wife rides with me and it is great to talk to each other when needed rather than trying to yell. I assume you don't talk to your Wife while in the car?

Bob
    Like being able to discuss things we see along the way!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Having a com unit on a Motorcycle adds a huge enjoyment factor. Not to mention a great deal of added safety. It isn't like you have to jabber continuously. And, you can always shut it off.

I highly recommend it. But get a good unit. Cheap ones are more trouble than they are worth.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Me too. If it ain't Country, it ain't music!

I can guarantee, the acoustic swill that I ilsten to ain't fit for human consumption; but it is what it is; and I LIKE it!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Questions from a GW trike rider who hope soon to one of you:
    1. Do you have to wear full face style helmets for bluetooth communication tp work?
    2. So many systems, a wide range of prices, and probably quality. Which are the good ones? Do they all work with a '14?
    Mike

Spyder Garage

My question is: Why would you not want a communication system. Seems more folks do than don't. As they say, it is what it is.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Questions from a GW trike rider who hope soon to one of you:
    1. Do you have to wear full face style helmets for bluetooth communication tp work?
    2. So many systems, a wide range of prices, and probably quality. Which are the good ones? Do they all work with a '14?
    Mike
    We wear half helmets and the SENA units mount on the side with speakers in the ear flap area.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)