Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Vancouver Island Spyder Ryders

http://www.geocities.com/vispyders/ oops, spoke too soon. They shut me down for linking to SpyderLovers.com. Damn!!!
    Last edited by VIspyderman; 09-30-2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Changes
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams
    ------------------------------

Spyder Garage

That's not cool

Spyder Garage

Apparently I violated the terms of use by linking out of geocities. Never happened before, I guess they're arachnophobic.... couldn't resist that one.
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams

Spyder Garage

Ok, The Vancouver Island Spyder Ryders site is working again... it's now at www.vispyders.com
    Last edited by VIspyderman; 01-26-2009 at 11:46 PM.
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams

Spyder Garage

lets get some action in here from the BC guys, hopefully March will bring some warmer weather and we can get out on some rides as a group.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just getting the finishing touches installed on my new Spyder RT Ltd.

I live in Cloverdale BC

Give me a shout if you get over this way

Spyder Garage

I will be coming to Chilliwack at the end of July for a Veterens meet. Maybe then.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    just getting the finishing touches installed on my new Spyder RT Ltd.

I live in Cloverdale BC

Give me a shout if you get over this way
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VIspyderman View Post
    I will be coming to Chilliwack at the end of July for a Veterens meet. Maybe then.
    Is that the event at Base Chilliwack?

Get in touch w/ me before you leave. I'll get the other local riders out for coffee w/ you.

cheers
    Bruce

Spyder Garage

Default Touring the Island at end of August

Going to take the RT and some 2-wheel friends to Vancouver Island at the end of the month. Will be touching down in Port McNeill and Port Alberni. So far we plan on checking out Gold River and Ucluelet/Tofino area.

Any other areas or routes that you recommend?

Where I've been on my Spyder...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wukka View Post
    Going to take the RT and some 2-wheel friends to Vancouver Island at the end of the month. Will be touching down in Port McNeill and Port Alberni. So far we plan on checking out Gold River and Ucluelet/Tofino area.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be that much activity in this area. I personally do not have a ryde but I believe that you have chosen wisely for areas of riding interest. There is a lot of good travelling in that area. They are forcasting more heat for the end of the month. Just a heads up. Who knows where the weather prognasticators get their prediction information. You could try Lake Cowichan area, Port Renfrew to Sooke, just to name a couple more. Of coure there is the Island Highway straight down to Victoria. There are a lot of twisties on the island. Can you say where you are coming from and how long you plan to visit the Island
    Aspydering Ryder
    subsisto inrideo amicitia

I may not be perfect but, I am Canadian, and that's close enough!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny1 View Post
    Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be that much activity in this area. I personally do not have a ryde but I believe that you have chosen wisely for areas of riding interest. There is a lot of good travelling in that area. They are forcasting more heat for the end of the month. Just a heads up. Who knows where the weather prognasticators get their prediction information. You could try Lake Cowichan area, Port Renfrew to Sooke, just to name a couple more. Of coure there is the Island Highway straight down to Victoria. There are a lot of twisties on the island. Can you say where you are coming from and how long you plan to visit the Island
    Hi, thanks for the reply...

We are coming from Seattle, taking the Anacortes Ferry to Sidney on Thursday, 8/25. That day we'll just be clocking the miles, riding all the way up to Port McNeill. From there, we'll start picking our way south, carving the (paved) roads and seeing the sights. Were told that we DEFINITELY need to swing by Gold River - there is also a natural cave in that area to check out.

Well be spending Friday and Saturday in Port Alberni, exploring areas to the south. One day will be spent around Tofino/Ucluelet - but the other day I don't have much planned (yet).

Then heading back to the states on Sunday at Noon.

Ferry and Motel reservations are done...Just need some ideas on places to go. I jotted down the ideas you have provided so far - but keep them coming!!

Spyder Garage

Hi, thanks for the reply...

We are coming from Seattle, taking the Anacortes Ferry to Sidney on Thursday, 8/25. That day we'll just be clocking the miles, riding all the way up to Port McNeill. From there, we'll start picking our way south, carving the (paved) roads and seeing the sights. Were told that we DEFINITELY need to swing by Gold River - there is also a natural cave in that area to check out.

Well be spending Friday and Saturday in Port Alberni, exploring areas to the south. One day will be spent around Tofino/Ucluelet - but the other day I don't have much planned (yet).

Then heading back to the states on Sunday at Noon.

Ferry and Motel reservations are done...Just need some ideas on places to go. I jotted down the ideas you have provided so far - but keep them coming!!
    Are you interested in Buchart Gardens? Lots of photo ops there Just thought of another one. Horne Lake Caves. Pulled this off of their webiste. http://hornelake.com/home.htm
    GPS coordinates

Cave Park - 49 º 20' 41.00" N 124 º 45' 00.00" W (UTM - 372861.80E 5467260.80N)
    Campground - 49 º 21' 06.00" N 124 º 44' 28.00" W (UTM - 373541.09E 5468002.88N)
    NOTE: some GPS databases show these parks on the wrong side of the lake. Use the above coordinates for accurate location!

BY ROAD:
    From the South (Victoria, Nanaimo, Parksville, Qualicum Beach)
    Get on the highway NORTHBOUND on Island Freeway (Hwy. 19) or Oceanside Scenic Route (Hwy. 19A). Approximately 1 hour north of NANAIMO, look for the blue Provincial Park signs approaching Horne Lake Exit (Exit #75). Turn LEFT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!
    - 1 km. further is CAVE Parking Lot (Provincial Park). DRIVE SLOW AND CAREFUL ON THE LAST 10 kms. OF GRAVEL ROAD. WATCH FOR ONCOMING TRAFFIC ON THE NARROW ROAD AND DRIVE WITH HEADLIGHTS ON!
    From the West Coast (Tofino, Ucluelet, Bamfield, Port Alberni)
    Take Hwy. #4 EASTBOUND through Port Alberni and keep going toward Qualicum Beach. Just after the traffic lights at Hwy 4A (Coombs), look for the Freeway (Hwy. 19). Cross under the overpass and turn left onto Hwy. 19 NORTHBOUND. After 10 minutes on the freeway, look for the blue Provincial Park signs approaching Horne Lake Exit ( Exit #75). Turn LEFT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!
    - 1 km. further is CAVE Parking Lot (Provincial Park). DRIVE SLOW AND CAREFUL ON THE LAST 10 kms. OF GRAVEL ROAD. WATCH FOR ONCOMING TRAFFIC ON THE NARROW ROAD AND DRIVE WITH HEADLIGHTS ON!
    From the North (Courtenay, Comox, Cumberland, Campbell River, Port Hardy)
    Get on the highway SOUTHBOUND on Island Freeway (Hwy. 19) or Oceanside Scenic Route (Hwy. 19A). Approximately 45 minutes south of COURTENAY, look for the blue Provincial Park approaching Horne Lake Exit (Exit #75). Turn RIGHT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!

Driving Times - Victoria (3 hrs), Duncan (2.25 hrs), Nanaimo (1.5 hrs), Parksville (1 hr), Qualicum (45 mins), Courtenay (1 hr), Comox (1.25 hrs), Campbell River (1.5 hrs)
    Port Alberni (1 hr.) and Tofino / Ucluelet (2.75 hours).
    Just a couple of more thoughts. Enjoy
    Last edited by Tiny1; 08-15-2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Aspydering Ryder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny1 View Post
    Are you interested in Buchart Gardens? Lots of photo ops there Just thought of another one. Horne Lake Caves. Pulled this off of their webiste. http://hornelake.com/home.htm
    GPS coordinates

Cave Park - 49 º 20' 41.00" N 124 º 45' 00.00" W (UTM - 372861.80E 5467260.80N)
    Campground - 49 º 21' 06.00" N 124 º 44' 28.00" W (UTM - 373541.09E 5468002.88N)
    NOTE: some GPS databases show these parks on the wrong side of the lake. Use the above coordinates for accurate location!

BY ROAD:
    From the South (Victoria, Nanaimo, Parksville, Qualicum Beach)
    Get on the highway NORTHBOUND on Island Freeway (Hwy. 19) or Oceanside Scenic Route (Hwy. 19A). Approximately 1 hour north of NANAIMO, look for the blue Provincial Park signs approaching Horne Lake Exit (Exit #75). Turn LEFT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!
    From the West Coast (Tofino, Ucluelet, Bamfield, Port Alberni)
    Take Hwy. #4 EASTBOUND through Port Alberni and keep going toward Qualicum Beach. Just after the traffic lights at Hwy 4A (Coombs), look for the Freeway (Hwy. 19). Cross under the overpass and turn left onto Hwy. 19 NORTHBOUND. After 10 minutes on the freeway, look for the blue Provincial Park signs approaching Horne Lake Exit ( Exit #75). Turn LEFT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!
    From the North (Courtenay, Comox, Cumberland, Campbell River, Port Hardy)
    Get on the highway SOUTHBOUND on Island Freeway (Hwy. 19) or Oceanside Scenic Route (Hwy. 19A). Approximately 45 minutes south of COURTENAY, look for the blue Provincial Park approaching Horne Lake Exit (Exit #75). Turn RIGHT off the highway and follow the narrow gravel road for 12 kms. (8mi.). There are blue pointed signs all the way from the highway to the parking lot. Continue along the lakeshore past many cabins until you come to the Park Entrances. First Parking Lot at the lake is the Campground Office and Outdoor Centre (Regional Park). Off-season tours check in here!

Driving Times - Victoria (3 hrs), Duncan (2.25 hrs), Nanaimo (1.5 hrs), Parksville (1 hr), Qualicum (45 mins), Courtenay (1 hr), Comox (1.25 hrs), Campbell River (1.5 hrs)
    Port Alberni (1 hr.) and Tofino / Ucluelet (2.75 hours).
    Just a couple of more thoughts. Enjoy
    I've been to Buchart Gardens, but we might check that out again. You had me on the Horne Lake Caves until I read about 12km of gravel roads. My 2-wheel friends don't do gravel on their cruiser bikes. So I guess that one's out.

Do you if there are paved roads to the Upana Caves near Gold River? I can't find any any info on the internet and it's really hard to tell by looking at Google Earth.

I guess we might be limiting ourselves by keeping on the blacktop.

Spyder Garage

I've been to Buchart Gardens, but we might check that out again. You had me on the Horne Lake Caves until I read about 12km of gravel roads. My 2-wheel friends don't do gravel on their cruiser bikes. So I guess that one's out.

Do you if there are paved roads to the Upana Caves near Gold River? I can't find any any info on the internet and it's really hard to tell by looking at Google Earth.

I guess we might be limiting ourselves by keeping on the blacktop.

Sorry, but I really do not know. If I were a betting man, I would think that they are gravel.
    Maybe you have to just do some blacktop backroads or, talk your friends into buying Spyders before you head out
    Aspydering Ryder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know how you are fixed for time, Joe, but one of my favorite (slower, more scenic) routes is to grab the ferry just north of Sidney for Saltspring Island, ride across Saltspring and catch the Vesuvius ferry to Crofton, back on Vancouver Island. Then proceed north along the Old island highway through Chemainus, Ladysmith and Nanaimo. At Nanaimo, you can join the New island hiway north to the turnoff to Port Alberni, or straight on to Port McNeill. Personally, I like to stay on the Old Island Hiighway as long as I can, but that's just me; I'm rarely in a hurry. Hope this helps. PS: all going well and the creek don't rise, I hope to see you and the gang at Enumclaw at the end of the week.

Spyder Garage

Hi, I'm interested in getting in contact with other spyder owners on Vancouver Island/Victoria area.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    cabodan@shaw.ca

http://www.geocities.com/vispyders/ oops, spoke too soon. They shut me down for linking to SpyderLovers.com. Damn!!!

Spyder Garage

I'm in the Comox Valley... vispyderman@gmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cabodan View Post
    Hi, I'm interested in getting in contact with other spyder owners on Vancouver Island/Victoria area.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    cabodan@shaw.ca
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams

Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder owner

Just bought a new 2012 Spyder RT-S SE5 waiting to pick it up. Hoping to get it changed to left hand throttle because am missing my right arm.From Nanaimo area.
    2012 RT-SE5 , MAD wires an NGK plugs bLUE

Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder owner

Ok, The Vancouver Island Spyder Ryders site is working again... it's now at www.vispyders.com
    Tryed the link was a no go. :-(

Spyder Garage

When I quit selling Spyders I dropped the site. I'm in the Comox Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by hook86 View Post
    Tryed the link was a no go. :-(
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams

Spyder Garage

Default link

Thanks for the answer. Now hoping my dealer can change the throttle over for me or the wife gets the bike. (for now)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool vislandgabe

I am from campbell river and wondering if any one has weekend or longer trips planned and looking for more riders?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default vislandgabe

great ride victoria to sooke,port renfrew , lake cowichan and back to hwy at duncan all paved

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vislandgabe View Post
    I am from campbell river and wondering if any one has weekend or longer trips planned and looking for more riders?
    Speaking of longer trips, owners event is in Maggie Valley, North Carolina.

Spyder Garage

Default Vancouver Island Spyders

Your links are not working.
    Would like to hookup with other spyder owners.
    I live in Langford.
    cabodan@shaw.ca