Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My Harley Attitude 2 cents

I started this thread because I didn't want my post lost in the Harley attitude one.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife told me about some guy from Bike Bandit that posted the rules for waving at other bikes. One of the rules he posted stated that you should not wave at 3 wheeled vehicles since they were not motorcycles. Now remember this is from a company who sells parts for motorcycles -- do you really want to piss anyone off?

I posted on a Harley forum that I would no do business with Bike Bandit for any reason because of that slam. I had more side with me than took the road of not with even a few saying they would not ride if they could not do it on 2 wheels.

Many chided the author because there are disabled persons who need 3 wheels in order to enjoy the open air feeling of a bike.

The author came back with a half hearted apology to Disabled Veterans who ride trikes. But he still left the other riders either disabled or for whatever reason they choose out in the cold with his slam.

I still will not do business with Bike Bandit for any reason.

My wife rides the Can Am -- I feel safer with her on it -- and its not because she is not a good 2 wheel rider -- she is an excellent rider. She is however short of stature and its tough to find a bike that is good for long trips that allows her to touch the ground full footed. We lowered her current bike as much as possible to keep the ride and allow her to have a bike with enough power.

Currently I ride a Harley, but most of my miles have been on Hondas and Suzukis (around 500,000). If it comes to not being to ride a 2 wheeler -- I will ride a 3 wheeler --

I hope many if not all will join me in a protest to Bike Bandit for their insensitivity to riders. Email them and let them know what you think.

Spyder Garage

Default My Harley Attitude 2 cents

Right on my brother.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that you're making a whole lot more out of this, than is necessary.
    Let it drop, and just spend your money elsewhere.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i would not say insensitive i would just say schmuck. i don't care if you are on a unicycle i will wave if i like your ride. i have had
    ferrari's & audi s8 wave as i pulled out of gas station & he pulled in. my customers with porsche's & harley's all like my bike when
    they have seen it at my place or when i have gone to obi. Not to wave is one thing but to say not to wave, again that is a SCHMUCK!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If they don't want to wave; it's their loss; not yours ...

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
    9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
    8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
    7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
    6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
    5. Angry because they just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
    4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
    3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
    2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
    1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.
    Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
    9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
    8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
    7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
    6. The espresso machine just finished.
    5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
    4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
    3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
    2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
    1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.
    Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:
    10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
    9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
    8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
    7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
    6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
    5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
    4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
    3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
    2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
    1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.
    Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
    9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
    8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
    7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
    6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
    5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
    4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
    3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
    2. You haven't been properly introduced.
    1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.
    Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
    9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
    8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
    7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
    6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
    5. Was too busy re-arranging his 500 pounds of soft-sided luggage.
    4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
    3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
    2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
    1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.
    Top Ten Reasons Why Spyder Ryders Don't Wave Back
    10. They'll NEVER be able to find the horn or turnsignal again, if they move their hand on the grip.
    9. They keep a "Death Grip" on the bars in case of the dreaded DPS failure.
    8. They were too busy trying to figure out how to change playlists on their I-Pod.
    7. They were "Bluetoothing" with their dealer regarding the latest farkle delivery.
    6. They couldn't find the "Auto-Wave" Button. (Hey; It's a Limited!)
    5. Their passenger was distracting them with some nonsense about "Having to stop for a break"...
    4. You weren't riding a REVERSE trike!
    3. They were trying to remember the best way to cross Nebraska. (Answer: while asleep, in the back of a van!)
    2. They were too terrified to take their eyes off of the display; lest the dreaded "Orange Screen of Death" make an appearance.
    1. You crossed paths while they were setting the cruise control, changing the voice on their GPS, raising the windshield, and changing the volume on the radio.

Spyder Garage

Default HD TRIKE

I WAS LOOKING AT A VERY NICE BLACK HD TRIKE IN THE PARKING LOT OF 'RUBY FALLS' IN CHATTANOOGA EARLIER THIS SUMMER. I COMPLIMENTED THE MAN ON HIS TASTE, AND TOLD HIM THAT I RODE A SPYD3R.... AND HE TELLS ME; "THAT AIN'T NO MOTORCYCLE PAL"..... OH WELL, I THINK IT IS, AND SINCE HE AIN'T PAY'n FOR IT, I DON'T CARE....
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default trike or spyder

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    I WAS LOOKING AT A VERY NICE BLACK HD TRIKE IN THE PARKING LOT OF 'RUBY FALLS' IN CHATTANOOGA EARLIER THIS SUMMER. I COMPLIMENTED THE MAN ON HIS TASTE, AND TOLD HIM THAT I RODE A SPYD3R.... AND HE TELLS ME; "THAT AIN'T NO MOTORCYCLE PAL"..... OH WELL, I THINK IT IS, AND SINCE HE AIN'T PAY'n FOR IT, I DON'T CARE....
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R
    ive made several comments about riding both Harleys and spyders since I have both.

I can tell you from experience, if you ride a trike and then a spyder you probably wont go back to the trike. my wife had a nice trike when she rode for a long trip she would be very tired. she can ride her spyder all day. when you ride a trike, you have to work at it, a spyder seems like you think about moving from lane to lane it just does it

Spyder Garage

I do not care what a person says. It gets me for a minute then, why borther with them.
    A company is a different matter, if their thing is hate three wheels, but you three people buy from us. NO WAY.
    All kinds of reasons why you ride what you do.

There was a post someplace, I think on here, that a lady wanted to ride a Spyder, but her boy friend demanded she ride a two wheel Harley , She was scared to death, but was doing it. A scared rider is not a safe rider. To me that is the biggest ego trip in the world. He does not seem to care she could be hurt or killed because he Harleyfied. The post she had told him to no avail.
    The story from years ago was Sonny Barger from Hell Angels wanted them to ride Honda's becuase they were more dependable. True, I have no idea
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sonny on a HONDA???
    This is worth looking into!

EDIT: I wonder if there's more to it, than this?

http://www.dabelly.com/features/feature74.htm
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-13-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default e wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    ive made several comments about riding both Harleys and spyders since I have both.

I can tell you from experience, if you ride a trike and then a spyder you probably wont go back to the trike. my wife had a nice trike when she rode for a long trip she would be very tired. she can ride her spyder all day. when you ride a trike, you have to work at it, a spyder seems like you think about moving from lane to lane it just does it

I agree with you 100% I had a Goldwing trike with the altered front end to make it steer better. It was fine going down the highway, but ride curvy roads for a day and you were worn out. You have to use your arms and shoulders moving that single front wheel around curves all day. It is not like a Spyder, with electric power steering.
    " SO MANY ROADS SO LITTLE TIME "
    2009 SE-5 , Yellow/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's a good one...
    I bet Indian Larry, would have preferred standing up on a Yamaha? Hahaha doubt it!!

Please keep them bike funnies rolling in folks. Gotta love it... ;-)

They died with their riding boots on... Riding into the last sunset.

Chas

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Harley or Spyder

When I am riding my Harley, I don't wave to Spyders but when I ride my Spyder, I don't wave to Harleys.
    If I am on the Harley and my wife is on the Spyder, we make fun of each other . Seriously, anyone that puts down someone's ride is just an insecure person that tries to bring others down to their misery level.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default One benefit

I think for many Harley riders, at least they can more easily work on their own machines.
    Where most of us Spyder Ryder's are at the mercy of the dealership and service departments.

That fact alone could give some a false 'superiority' complex... Just a thought.

Chas

Spyder Garage

Default To each his own..!!

they don't pay my bills, buy my gas, or drive my ryde. I respect their choice and acknowledge by waving to all if they don't recipricate that's their loss. Life is so much more enjoyable when your happy and smiling as opposed to angry and scornful...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always wave with 3 fingers to all. I feel to be a good ambassador to all riders by just waving.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I grew up in farm country. Started driving (tractor) when I was 5. We waved at other tractor drivers, folks on combines, swathers, in pickups, semi rigs,...! Rode mostly H/D since the late 1980s and I wave at anyone! Still do! Sort of a courtesy thing, I guess! Doesn't make any difference what you ride/drive, ya don't have to be a jerk about it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But did you wave to anybody on a mere lawnmower??

Spyder Garage

Default posted this befor but,

When my brother and I were at Spyderfest this year, we rode most of the time with me in the lead and him a ways behind. I was on my RT and he was on his Suzuki VStrom. One day he remarked that all the other Spyder ryders always waved at me but very few waved at him. Even though I am the older brother he has been riding as long as I have which is more than 50 years. He remarked that he thought that Spyder ryders as a group seemed to be more stuck up than any other group of riders he had encountered on the road, but went on to say that off the Spyders and on foot everyone seemed to be very friendly. Do we have less control over our rides than others so that we need both hands on the bars, I don't think so. I don't know what all this means, but I have been trying harder to wave at everybody ever since than.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes when you ride past a long string of riders; it's safer to wave to the first couple of bikes, and move to a simple tip of the helmet for the rest...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But did you wave to anybody on a mere lawnmower??
    Yup, lots of folks on riding mowers doing their ditches, yards, lawns, etc in farm country!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just making sure!
    We wouldn't want any "Mower Snobbery", to infiltrate our lifestyles!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    When my brother and I were at Spyderfest this year, we rode most of the time with me in the lead and him a ways behind. I was on my RT and he was on his Suzuki VStrom. One day he remarked that all the other Spyder ryders always waved at me but very few waved at him. Even though I am the older brother he has been riding as long as I have which is more than 50 years. He remarked that he thought that Spyder ryders as a group seemed to be more stuck up than any other group of riders he had encountered on the road, but went on to say that off the Spyders and on foot everyone seemed to be very friendly. Do we have less control over our rides than others so that we need both hands on the bars, I don't think so. I don't know what all this means, but I have been trying harder to wave at everybody ever since than.
    I have also noticed that on our Spyder group rydes (12-15 spyders) only a small number wave to the 2-wheelers. I wave to them all, but don't always get the wave back. I have wondered if the 2 wheelers' reluctance to wave has been the result of having been snubbed by a Spyder (or other similar 3-wheeler) previously. I know that I am sometimes reluctant to give the wave again after having passed a group of 2-wheelers without a single wave in return. But, each time the Motorcycle Gods restore my faith by presenting me with a road full of 2-wheelers that give the courtesy wave...leading me to conclude that I should not let a few bad apples spoil the bunch

Spyder Garage

Default wave

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    I have also noticed that on our Spyder group rydes (12-15 spyders) only a small number wave to the 2-wheelers. I wave to them all, but don't always get the wave back. I have wondered if the 2 wheelers' reluctance to wave has been the result of having been snubbed by a Spyder (or other similar 3-wheeler) previously. I know that I am sometimes reluctant to give the wave again after having passed a group of 2-wheelers without a single wave in return. But, each time the Motorcycle Gods restore my faith by presenting me with a road full of 2-wheelers that give the courtesy wave...leading me to conclude that I should not let a few bad apples spoil the bunch
    I live in ga. but ride a lot in al. every body waves in al. no matter if its a car, truck or bike maybe its just a state thing

Spyder Garage

It was a couple years back when the Bike Bandit thing was originally posted, we gave the company a real good flaming. There was talk about boycotting the company, etc.

Not sure of any positive results and the statements made only fired up both sides and IMO, did not do anything constructive.

We have also had a few early reviews of the that harbored on ludicrous. Written by people that did not have a clue. They also had their time in the limelight. That too, has passed.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-13-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    Yup, lots of folks on riding mowers doing their ditches, yards, lawns, etc in farm country!
    I do the same every time